Talk

Advanced search

Incredibly dry skin

(16 Posts)
Housewife2010 Tue 11-Oct-11 11:25:56

My face has always been dry but since I started suffering from on-off patches of eczema on it in the Spring it has been incredibly dry. Nothing seems to work. Facial oils are making the eczema flare up & I am currently applying diprobase emollient to it several times a day. I'm sick of being make-up free (make-up is just excaberbating it) and can only imagine myself crumbling into a pile of dusty skin flakes once the central heating goes on. Anyone else suffered from this? Any magic remedies?

cedge Tue 11-Oct-11 11:29:41

Have you tried using jojoba oil or does this irritate it too?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 11-Oct-11 11:34:09

Ictyane creme by ducray or aveeno cream (not lotion) both recommended in hospitals in france.
For DD1 sensitive skin and eczema Ictyane works better (aveeno needs a lot more of reapplying), diprobase was useless.
But you will have to find the one which works for you and it might be something completely different.

PinotScreechio Tue 11-Oct-11 12:37:24

Eucerin range contains urea which is your best friend.

Which facial oils have you used? I'm an advocate of argan oil. Avocado oil is excellent for very dry skin.

Housewife2010 Thu 13-Oct-11 11:02:59

Hello
Thanks for your help. I've used Lipobase for years but my skin still looks parched. Changed over to Diprobase a couple of weeks ago, but no better. I found Aveeno cream wasn't rich enough. Also tried Junior Oilatum, 50 50 Parafin, Epaderm, Liz earle Superskin Moisturiser & the Superskin Concentrate oil, Akin Intensive Moisturiser for super dry skin, Aromatherapy Associates Facial Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil and even just Olive Oil.
I'm still a shrivelled prune! Up to a few months ago I always had really good skin.
I'll look into all your suggestions. I want my nice skin back.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 13-Oct-11 11:42:16

Have you try elizabeth harden 8 hours cream? (only at night obviously) It works wonder for repairing the skin then you can start on something more general like Ictyane.
Be careful about your make up too, better to leave it for a while.
Good luck, I must have tried around 20 creams for DD1 before finding the one...

flipflopflap Thu 13-Oct-11 12:39:43

I have very sensitive and dry skin with eczema around my eyes, I've found a really good balance using Trilogy Sensitive Cleanser here and Jason Vitamin E moisturiser here with a bit of Pure Potion on the really dry bits here. I've also found I can only use mineral make up as anything else turns me into a wrinkly dry mess!

PainSnail Thu 13-Oct-11 12:41:13

boots botanics face super balm.

I'd only use it at night, because it is a bit...oily. But it is an absolute miracle. I Think its mainly argan oil.

Housewife2010 Fri 14-Oct-11 13:28:17

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll have a look into them. Unfortunately I can't use 8 Hour Cream as it contains lanolin which I'm allergic to.
I've ditched to Diprobase & gone back to Lipobase which is better but I still look like a haggard prune so I'll have a look at your creams.

Bearcat Fri 14-Oct-11 15:49:41

Try using Nizoral shampoo, but as a face wash. Put it on with water when you get in shower and wash off asyou finish shower.
I always had dry flaky skin in my face ( probably dermatitis), but never looked back after I did this under a dermatologist recommendation.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 14-Oct-11 20:48:57

If you are allergic to lanonin I would trade very carefully as most manufacturer think it is harmless.
I would also try to avoid Nizoral as it is a fungicide and try to get a referral or a GP advice about it. (it can make your skin better if you have a fungus condition but it will make it worse if you are just sensitive)

MissBeehiving Fri 14-Oct-11 21:03:25

I've always had dry skin with occasional patches of eczema and so have been through quite a number of products looking for something which works. I now use macademia nut oil to cleanse and vaseline intensive rescue relief and repair balm. The relief balm is very very good and dosn't contain lanolin.

CaptainMartinCrieff Fri 14-Oct-11 21:13:00

Oliatum face cream is your best friend! My dry skin used to be awful.. I could feel the tightness of my skin every time I talked and my nose would look like I had permanent peeling post sunburn.
I've spent a fortune on other products and nothing worked. I will now never use anything else.
It's £7.95 in Boots and 1 tube lasts me 2 months.

hairybeans Fri 14-Oct-11 23:42:15

Another one with awful skin checking in! The one thing I would say is that each sensitivity is unique so you have to play around lots to get a positive result - then your skin can change again and you're back to square one!

I have eczema on my hands and face which is horrible - gets worse in cold weather too which is fun. I'm currently having success with a-derma cream which I think is French. They do a rich cream in a small tube which is really comforting and softening. It calms my skin down better than anything else I've tried. I think it's about £6 a tube from amazon.

Diet also really helps me, fish oil supps, lots of good fats and cutting out all sugar is my very very dull plan which does get it under control.

Do try a-derma. There are lots of products in the range and it has lots of colloidal oat in it which is very soothing.

Good luck!

thepureemporia Thu 20-Oct-11 15:50:15

Use natural products. It may help if your issue is caused by the chemicals in the skincare products that you use. Be careful what you buy as some say natural but still have 'nasty' chemicals in them which will defeat the object. A friend had a little boy with excema which was cured wheh she swapped to natural products.

jasminerice Thu 20-Oct-11 17:04:46

I use Cetraben emollient cream on prescription. Very rich but not oily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now