Talk

Advanced search

what do you wear for a smart casual eve on a P & O cruise???

(9 Posts)
MrsS01 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:08:10

P & O cruise says 'stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies'. What on earth can I wear??? I have evening dress/cocktail dress but nothing less casual. I'm not very tall and shorter dresses suit me best and I don't like bright colours - anyone got any ideas?
I like dorothy perkins, next. I'm a size 8.

tak1ngchances Mon 10-Oct-11 22:43:53

Will it be very warm where you're going or chilly? Will have a look for you

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:48:10

I know they get slated here, but attractive linen trousers and a nice top? we have been on lots of cruises and thats about the norm. Or nice, non skimpy sun dresses with smarter sandals. Most people only wear cocktail dresses on the two formal nights, and even then, it doesn't tend to be full length.

It also depends on the cruise ship- I have been on the more upmarket ships such as azamara and windstar and they didn't do formal at all.

MrsS01 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:53:04

it'll be same weather as here- cold-ish! I'd rather do dress than trousers. What kind of non skimpy sun dress? I have a black/red tea dress from dp - but didn't know if that would be smart enough? And can I wear it with knee boots or should it be sandals? Its the Oceana - just for 2 nights, one is the formal night the other the casual smart.

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:59:11

I am sure the tea dress would be fine, with either shoe. I have only been on warm weather cruises, but generally you get a real mix of people.

By non skimpy sun dress i mean something a bit smarter but still in bright colours as opposed to evening dress. So not the beach wear dresses you get in Marks and Spencers etc, but the knee length cotton or linen dresses you might wear to a summer christening or evening bbq etc??

MrsS01 Mon 10-Oct-11 23:04:45

could I wear a short-ish cord black skirt and smart top?

Or are any of the below suitable?

www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=2528676&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=black paisley dress&pageSize=20

www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=2664644&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=black floral chiffon dress&pageSize=20

www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=2651235&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=red one shoulder drape dress&pageSize=20

www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=2353668&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&searchTerm=%2081000011%20&resultCount=1

MrsS01 Mon 10-Oct-11 23:09:10

Thanks for your advice, I was going to wear something similar style to the below, but cotton, not satin. Is that too posh for the casual formal night?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Jane-Norman-Black-Silver-Bandeau-Evening-Dress-Size-8-/150669925739?pt=UK_Women_s_Dresses&hash=item2314a09d6b

LoopyLucyLoo Tue 11-Oct-11 12:06:21

I wouldn't worry too much, you'll find there'll be a real mix of dress. I really stressed about what to wear on my first cruise, but realised when on it that I needn't have bothered. Some people love dressing up so will be really smart even on the casual evenings and others will be really dressed down. Anything you like and feel comfortable in will be fine, you won't look out of place.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

mumto2andnomore Tue 11-Oct-11 12:13:13

Agree with the last poster, wear whatever you feel comfortable in (as long as not trainers and hoodies in the evenings !) Have a great time we went on Oceana at Easter shes a lovely ship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now