Talk

Advanced search

Which bag do you think? Or should I save up and get the Mulberry I REALLY want?

(29 Posts)
FrenchLimeBlossom Mon 10-Oct-11 19:33:36

Been a lurker on this thread for a while so thought I'd seek advice at last! I've got my eye on these two bags:

this one and

this one

I have some chocolate brown knee high boots and I've been looking for a bag to carry with them that goes without being too matchy - the other brown bags I have are tan or oak and they're a bit light. And I need to be able to use it for work as well as weekends.

I'd prefer a Bayswater/Somerset but I just cannot justify £800 (or £500) on a handbag to myself at the moment....... or maybe i can....what do you think? I get my return to work bonus in December so I could splurge a bit on myself after a year of splurging on the baby. Would it be worth it, Mulberry lovers?

shoeprincess2 Mon 10-Oct-11 19:40:43

I think you should get the bag you really want. It will be an investment piece and as you say, you have a bonus coming up in December. In my experience, if you buy something as a cheaper alternative, you'll still be lusting after the more expensive one, particularly when there are so many good reviews. Gofor it- you deserve it!

rubyslippers Mon 10-Oct-11 19:42:32

I love mulberry bags

If you can afford it, do it

The bayswater is fabulous (i also have the somerset tote)

Sparkletastic Mon 10-Oct-11 19:43:02

Get the Mulberry and enjoy it for years - those two are a bit meh

DonaAna Mon 10-Oct-11 19:45:17

You should buy the bag you really want. (It's a classic, too.) One really good bag is better than eight that are so-so, trust me.

madammecholet Mon 10-Oct-11 19:47:22

I've got the Lucia in camel and its gorgeous, and a third of the price of a Mulberry. I think you are purely paying for the label with designer bags over £500, as the quality and soft grainy leather on mine is as good as a Mulberry any day... I like the Pippa but everyone has one, I like mine as I've not seen another out and about yet...always get lovely comments and its wearing well (had it since feb)..

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Mon 10-Oct-11 19:50:22

I have a Mulberry Mitzy tote. I receive lots of nice comments about it. Beautifully in proportion and so well made.

picnicbasketcase Mon 10-Oct-11 19:53:40

They're lovely bags but I will never ever understand anyone being willing to pay out hundreds of pounds on something that will inevitably become filled with old receipts and bits of grit.

FrenchLimeBlossom Mon 10-Oct-11 19:57:51

Ooooh, you're terrible/wonderful! I thought you'd tell me to be frugal and stop thinking about handbags now I'm a mother, but you're simply FORCING me to go and buy the Somerset after all. Unless i really treat myself and get the Bayswater in printed brown leather..... but that feels more like a work bag and I need one to do double duty if I'm spending that much.

I can afford it - it just seems rather a lot I suppose after a year of baby things which cost comparatively little after the initial horrendous outlays.

But (tosses hair) I'm worth it smile

I have been lusting after more Mulberry for ages, bought the Emmy in the sale some years ago and really like it, but I do love the Somerset too.

carciofi Mon 10-Oct-11 19:58:02

The Lucia is lovely but if you really want the Bayswater (it's also on my list!), wait and get it in Dec.

MarshaBrady Mon 10-Oct-11 19:58:53

I think a Mulberry. But do they do they go on sale in December?

uggmum Mon 10-Oct-11 20:05:25

I have a couple of Mulberry bags and I love them.
I lusted after mine for a while but they are items of beauty

chipstick10 Mon 10-Oct-11 20:05:46

I have two Bays, they are so beautiful, timeless and classic. You can dress them up or down. I am currently saving for the Taylor and will probably sell my Alexa (they are a bit similar). You cant go wrong with a Mulberry. Mulberrys are an investment. Personally i dont like the Pippa bag.

HalfTermHero Mon 10-Oct-11 20:10:26

Certain mulberry bags will go in sale in December but the classic bays in oak, choc and black won't be reduced. You should try call calling round the mulberry outlets. You might well get a choc bays if you are persistent. Expect to save about 30% on RRP. I agree with the others who say go for the bag you love. If you get a plain leather (not printed) choc bays it will do smart and casual dress with ease.

lateSeptember1964 Mon 10-Oct-11 20:20:19

Go with the mulberry. I am currently saving for the Daria in oak. Nearly half way there but worth the wait.

FrenchLimeBlossom Mon 10-Oct-11 20:22:16

Thanks all! Right - I'm pretty much decided that I will go and get the chocolate Somerset after all. Sod it, whoever said it above is right - one classic is worth 7 or 8 lesser bags.

Hurrah!

FrenchLimeBlossom Mon 10-Oct-11 20:30:20

Oops cross post, thanks for the suggestion halfterm wise words.

Apologies if I've misled you though, I don't propose waiting for it to come on sale, I might wait forever and/or miss it! I'll just get the one I want from the lovely store which has just opened across the way from my office (too tempting).

Somerset it is for now, Bayswater(s) can wait I think. PS I saw the Bayswater in that gorgeous emerald green in my local store and fell in love with it (I know, totally impractical but it's lovely) - like it almost as much as the oak or black versions.

HalfTermHero Mon 10-Oct-11 20:49:18

That cabbage green bays will be on sale come Christmas shock! You are showing all the classic signs of a mulberry addict in waiting grin. I think you've made the right decision. Better one thing you love than several that are so so.

BikeRunSki Mon 10-Oct-11 20:54:06

If you really want something, anything else is a false economy. Can you get to the factory shop in Shepton Mallet?

PerryCombover Mon 10-Oct-11 21:07:19

I'm soooooo bored with Mulberry. I'm also unconvinced by the investment peice thing regarding handbags
But...there are some fab Mulberry replica sites <just saying>

FrenchLimeBlossom Mon 10-Oct-11 21:17:17

Shepton Mallett you say? Now you tell me...... DH's family have a holiday place in Devon, and we just happen to pass there on the way. Next visit i feel a slight digression coming on.....

Just checked Mulberry website and they have an outlet store in Cheshire too - much closer to home. May have to give them a call - if they have the Somerset then i may on pilgrimage this weekend whilst DH is i/c baby! Why did I not think of that sooner? blush

You think the green Bays will be on sale soon eh? I will have to haunt the store regularly on the off chance then (as if I wouldn't anyway grin). Or perhaps be more organised and simply find out when the sale starts. [Makes mental note]

chipstick10 Mon 10-Oct-11 21:36:59

Halfterm do you not think you can dress a printed bays down? I have a printed oak (needs less babeying) and it dresses down really well. Youve got me questioning now confused

HalfTermHero Tue 11-Oct-11 06:28:51

Chipstick, fear not! Printed bays can indeed do casual but I think that a plain NVT bays maybe lends itself to the look more easily, iykwim. You are right about printed being more hardy too. It is the sensible choice if you like oak and don't want to worry about your bag every time it rains! My dh likes the printed bays the best of all the bays leathers. I am yet to own one though.

BatmanLovesRobin Tue 11-Oct-11 07:36:41

I got a chocolate brown Somerset for 240 squids in Bicester - so make sure you check places like that before you buy!!

chipstick10 Tue 11-Oct-11 08:19:58

Tis true HalfTerm the printed is much more hardy. Paying out all that money i couldnt stand hiding under shelters everytime you get caught in the rain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now