Talk

Advanced search

Posh Frock for Christmas Ball

(6 Posts)
Flossie69 Mon 10-Oct-11 18:11:09

OK, wise ladies and S&B gurus...... I need your help.

DH has aksed me to go with him to a Christmas ball at our local village hall. It is a fundraiser for the hall, and there will be a marquee etc.

I haven't been to a ball since I was a student (am 42 now), and I want to look fab, especially as things are a bit bleurgh between DH and I at the mo, so want to really impress. I am an apple shape - 14/16 up top, not big boobs though. Hips are size 12, but I have a bit of a mummy tummy. Have not bad legs. Am short - 5'3". I look good in wrap style dresses.

So what should I be wearing? Want to be dressy but not too - it is only the village hall after all, but it is a ball. And not sure if I will get the opportunity to wear a very posh frock again, so want to keep the budget reasonable.

Any ideas anyone?

purpleprincess Mon 10-Oct-11 18:17:09

Hi Flossie
Have a look in Debenhams- at the Designers range especially Star by Julian McDonald. They are not too pricey (can get some @£50-60) and seem very flattering. I bought one last year which has a 'swishy' bit at the front (sorry not very good description!) which covers up any err bumps. Also go for control pants/tights! They are quite dressy but not too much IYKWIM!

Hope you find something nice and thinks work out for you....
PP

TethHearseEnd Mon 10-Oct-11 23:29:41

What's your budget?

Do you want long or short?

Sleeves/sleeveless?

Flossie69 Tue 11-Oct-11 06:31:38

Hi Tethers I hoped you might be along - I have noticed you are a bit good at this wink
Budget would be about £50, £100 max. I am better with sleeves, but can do lower necklines. I am not tall so can't really do maxi, I think knee length would make the most of my legs.
Thank-you!

TethHearseEnd Tue 11-Oct-11 16:12:32

Reiss

Phase eight

Phase eight

Coast

Over budget but gorgeous

Flossie69 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:00:51

Oooh yes, that last one IS gorgeous - will have to think on that, and see where I can try it on. The Reiss is not for me, nor the second Phase 8. The first one is good, but perhaps not dressy enough. The Coast one is interesting, but I would have prefered the V at the front. I hadn't thought of Coast, so had a peek at the rest of their selection.

Thank-you Tethers for all these, and sorry didn't reply sooner - only now sitting down after scholl run, bath time, dinner etc...

I will use all these as pointers, but am not brave enough to order on line - will need to try on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now