Talk

Advanced search

Hair Dye splash on woodwork - Help!!

(7 Posts)
eatyourveg Mon 10-Oct-11 10:13:26

Not sure if this is the place to post but its all over the bathroom door. Tried soap and water, even bleach but no luck. Didn't see it until I'd dried my hair so its well and truly stuck on. Anyone know how to get rid of it or is a quick dash to B&Q for emulsion the only way to cover my tracks before dh comes home this evening?

southeastastra Mon 10-Oct-11 10:15:00

try sanding it, would it bother your dp if you made a mess then? grin

mine wouldn't care

TattyDevine Mon 10-Oct-11 10:18:30

You could try ColourB4. Its a hair colour removal product available from boots. It shrinks the colour molecules and sort of removes them. I've done it on my hair a few times but in doing so have read in the instructions that its good for removing hair colour stains from things. It would cost you a tenner though, that might render it not worth it, particularly as you don't know for sure it will work.

Have you tried perfume? Its amazing what perfume removes from things. I managed to get the ballpoint pen her ladyship my 2 year old scribbled on my Lucia handbag without it ruining it, miraculously!

eatyourveg Mon 10-Oct-11 10:36:32

dh certainly will care - he notices the slightest things - its extremely irritating. Don't do perfume so it looks like its B&Q for sand paper and while emulsion. Can't cover up the smell of fresh paint so going to have to come clean. Might try meths first

sprinkles77 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:58:43

eye make up remover, jif, nail varnish remover, sugical spirit, face scrub. Sand paper (will leave surface dull). If you're painting over it and its wood work it is probably gloss you need not emulsion.

Havingkittens Mon 10-Oct-11 14:28:39

Is it a painted door then, rather than just bare wood? If so, I have splashed hair dye on various bits of painted woodwork in the bathroom and ended up with my heart in my mouth. Bleach has come to my rescue every time! Phew!

That will probably work if it's white paint. I recommend daubing a blob of bathroom bleach from a sponge or cloth onto the stain and leaving it for a bit. You might want to wipe down the whole panel or door with a thin layer and then wipe it all off with a damp cloth afterwards so that the bleach doesn't leave a lighter patch on the paint work.

eatyourveg Mon 10-Oct-11 14:39:21

its wood with white gloss on it. Tried bleach and white spirit but got nowhere. In the end I tried sanding a tiny bit but now the surface is uneven and I don't fancy sanding the whole door.

Bought some low odour quick dry gloss and its had 2 coats. Most of it is covered now save for the long dark brown drip which will need another coat. You can tell which bits of the door have a new coat - pondering on whether to do the whole door before the kids come in from school to make it all look less obvious

Note to self - just grow old gracefully and accept silver highlights sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now