Talk

Advanced search

What to wear for an interview. Very stuck.

(21 Posts)
SeriousWispaHabit Sun 09-Oct-11 19:50:41

Would be very, very grateful for any help.

What can I wear for a job interview on Friday? It's for a GP partnership and I really want it.

I feel a trouser suit would be too formal and corporate looking but I don't want to be too casual either. I'm quite young to be applying for the job and also look a bit younger than my actual age (30) so also want to make sure I dress 'grown-up' enough, IYSWIM.

I'm size 16, large chest, olive skin, dark hair, tallish. If anyone suggests a skirt/dress it needs to be wearable with black opaques because I don't want to have to explain the multiple bruises on my leg that are the result of falling out of an apple tree yesterday (note previous point about being grown up enough for job).

Other than that I really look terrible in pink. Like a man in drag with a hangover.

Any help gratefully received.

Northernlurker Sun 09-Oct-11 19:55:26

You need a suit. I don't think a trouser suit is too formal. You could calm it down a bit with the top you choose?

What do you do with your hair? Is it long - is there someway of wearing it to make you look ancient but fresh and enthusiastic?

SeriousWispaHabit Sun 09-Oct-11 20:01:43

Ah, the hair hmm

Well, I have alopecia areata (patchy hair loss) and until a few months ago I had very lovely shoulder length thick brown straight hair in a layered sort of style. At the moment, there is quite a bit missing at the back, but none missing from the hairline so it only looks ok if tied back, otherwise I am very paranoid about visible bald patches when I move my head.

Northernlurker Sun 09-Oct-11 20:05:27

Oh well tied back is fine - v sensible and professional.

Look at this - I don't love the top tbh and it's not cheap but I like the idea of sober suit and top that's a bit more personality filled?

Uglymush Sun 09-Oct-11 20:06:01

I would wear the trouser suit.
Good luck

TethHearseEnd Sun 09-Oct-11 20:20:34

Pinstripe dress with matching jacket?

Waistcoat over crisp shirt and matching pencil skirt?

Or this suit

MangoMonster Sun 09-Oct-11 20:23:07

I usually wear a trouser suit.

Himalaya Sun 09-Oct-11 20:25:55

You can't go wrong in a suit for an interview IMO. They won't think you are being over formal - even if you wouldn't dress like that for a normal work day.

Black opaques are great, I wear them all the time- but not for an interview - they spell 'not quite grown up, kooky, carrying emotional baggage', all not good for an interview! grin.

I would go for nice plain stylish, flattering trouser suit, stretchy top/nice blouse and something in the way of a little funky accessorising (earings/ scarf) that matches your age.

ggirl Sun 09-Oct-11 20:26:42

what about the skirt and waistcoat thing but with a long sleeve jersey top instead of a shirt to make it less corporate

ggirl Sun 09-Oct-11 20:27:54

''Black opaques are great, I wear them all the time- but not for an interview - they spell 'not quite grown up, kooky, carrying emotional baggage', all not good for an interview "...

.really , you get all that from a pair of black opaques??

SeriousWispaHabit Sun 09-Oct-11 20:44:45

I am now worried that my tights are telling people how I'm feeling confused

I love the dress that TetherHearseEnd linked to, but the boobs would look all squashed and monoboob. I also quite like the idea of a waistcoat and shirt underneath. Does anyone know of one that will take 36FF boobs and not look like the buttons are going to pop open at any moment?

Northernlurker Sun 09-Oct-11 21:01:09

I have a sizeable chest - 38H - and tbh I don't think a waistcoat can work without looking like it's under severe strain.

ggirl Sun 09-Oct-11 21:02:13

shirts here
nice shirt and skirt with your 'kooky' tights and away you go!

toastandmarmiterocks Sun 09-Oct-11 21:28:42

Trouser suit would look lovely. Sunday Times Style had a section today about them. There was a lovely Jaeger tweed number although pretty expensive. I'm sure there are alternatives out there. They also recommended Cos and Whistles. I'm sorry not to link I'm on my phone.

Himalaya Sun 09-Oct-11 21:58:39

Ggirl, SWH - sorry to be so prescriptive about the tights grin

Black opaques are just a bit (mildly) subversive looking. You never see politicians or TV presenters in them - they almost always wear fine, neutral ones.

Black opaques say poetry reading student, a bit goth, a bit mod, a wee bit beatnik...like the female equivalent of a black poloneck on a bloke.

... At an interview, apart from arts and media, I think you want stylish but neutral.

jkklpu Sun 09-Oct-11 22:01:41

Trouser suit sounds good with, as someone suggests, a detail, eg earrings/necklace that makes you not look just like any other suit. Remember, if it's mostly men on the panel, they'll notice only if you wear something inappropriate so more anonymous with a detail that's a bit memorable is good. You want them to be listening to what you're saying, not distracted by your clothes.

SeriousWispaHabit Sun 09-Oct-11 22:13:41

Ok, so no black opaques, which due to multicoloured bruising from tree climbing escapades, means trousers.

So a trouser suit. I have a nice grey one but could do with a top to go with it. Greeny-blue? Orange? I have smart grey shoes.

ggirl Mon 10-Oct-11 00:42:16

this pink shirt would go with grey suit

josephinebonaparte Mon 10-Oct-11 00:47:01

Black opaques are the everytight. They are ubiquitous and very conventional. Any one who thinks they are edgy is deluded.
How about a dress with charcoal, navy or chocolate tights?

josephinebonaparte Mon 10-Oct-11 00:49:41

How about [http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/Dresses/Tweed-Shift-Dress/201463725 this]

josephinebonaparte Mon 10-Oct-11 00:50:17

www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/Dresses/Tweed-Shift-Dress/201463725

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now