Talk

Advanced search

Where should I look for nice dress for 12 year old?

(25 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Sun 09-Oct-11 17:09:04

We're having a reunion dinner for the 'class of 2010' - nice idea, but slightly despairing of finding a suitable dress for DD. Trouble is (a) she's fussy - most styles are pronounced 'eughhh' and she insists she must wear a bra but it mustn't show (b) she's a difficult size - only 143 cm tall but 34AA bra size.

She tried this today but the buttons at the back were straining in the age 12 which was the right length and the biggest size it comes in.

Have looked at John Lewis and Debenhams website, nothing she likes except maybe this - which they didn't have in our local branch this morning. If the sizing chart is accurate the bodice won't fit for an appropriate length.

I suspect most of the other girls will be wearing more 'grown up' styles but I can't think of what would work for her (not that she or I actually want more 'grown up' necessarily, just something she'll feel happy in).

(AIBU to wish the dress code was 'school uniform'? grin)

FauxFox Sun 09-Oct-11 18:37:28

Lots of choice in new look or try H&M or Zara

I think this would be cute with black tights and ballet flats?

novelsituation Sun 09-Oct-11 19:55:18

My daughter wore a star print dress from M and Co recently and looked lovely. She loved the fact that the print is currently very trendy again and she's seen slebs on magazine covers wearing similar. She wore the dress with black opaques and little flat pointy gold pumps from Next. It didn't look as short on her as it does on the model.

www.mandco.com/kylie/dresses-/icat/10070070/

GrimmaTheNome Sun 09-Oct-11 19:58:59

No Zara near us; last time we were in the New Look near us there wasn't anything nice at all (they only seemed to have 'playsuits' or those one-shouldered affairs) - but thanks for reminding me of H&M!

Just read reviews for the dress DD thought she'd try which confirmed what I thought, so I doubt its worth ordering to try:

"Unfortunately the girls dress age 12 does not take into account puberty and I ordered this dress for my granddaughter who is 11 for my wedding next April which she will then be 12 and this is too small around the chest area so would recommend going 2 years up in age on ordering. The dress is lovely but unfortunately I had to return both of them due to it not fitting the 12 year old and other sizes out of stock."

Heigh ho.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 09-Oct-11 20:09:27

Some of those M&Co dresses do look nice - the ones I've looked at are out of stock in the relevant sizes, rats! Can I ask how you find the sizing please - I take it Kylie is the tween/teen age range so hoping they allow a little space up top? grin

Its not somewhere we've shopped - there isn't one in our local large town but the store finder indicates one in a nearby small town - well, that's interesting! And they do petites too... I should go take a look - thanks!

Hulababy Sun 09-Oct-11 20:11:03

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_240010586460_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7Etxtbaker+girl+by+ted+baker

This looks lovely on, but you do need to go up a size or two imo. DD is 9y and has this but it is quite a grown up looking dress when on, without being ott. Had lots of very positive comments when DD has worn it too.

Hulababy Sun 09-Oct-11 20:11:17

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_240010586460_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7Etxtbaker+girl+by+ted+baker

novelsituation Sun 09-Oct-11 20:17:25

There is a "size guide" link on the bar just above the sizes. The 158 cm star print dress is for age 13 and is still in stock. My daughter is age 14 and this is the one she got. It accommodates a pubescent figure and pulls in with ties at the back.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 09-Oct-11 20:21:13

Looks lovely to me too, Hula - just two problems (1) there was one on the sale rail in Debs this morning which generated a 'eughhh' from DD and (2) the website says they're out of stock. grin

But thanks, I appreciate any ideas! smile

GrimmaTheNome Sun 09-Oct-11 20:32:02

Thanks Novel - I'm struggling with a child who wants 11 upwards but 13+ outwards! grin Though maybe in that style she'd get away with a longer length as it looks highwaisted.

For that price with free instore returns, now I know where there's a store its worth a shot -thanks!

irregularegular Sun 09-Oct-11 20:45:14

http://www.bhs.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/bhsstore/108415/226643

http://www.bhs.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/bhsstore/108585/226643

startail Sun 09-Oct-11 20:58:22

I feel your pain, my now absolutely standard adult size 12, 13 year old grew out before she grew upwards.
My suggestion would be to Next age about 14. It maybbe a touch long, but it should fit. They have several dresses in the party section that might do if she likes the purple one.
I've had trouble with Debenhams' stuff being small and having to go back.

serin Sun 09-Oct-11 21:07:06

Have to say there is no way my DD would have worn your original link grimma, she states it is something a six year old would wear smile also similair comments about the debenhams dress. I think probably best to avoid the bows.

Have you tried Miss Selfridge? and trying a size 6 or 8 adult size.

Collision Sun 09-Oct-11 21:15:01

here

Collision Sun 09-Oct-11 21:15:38

love this

GrimmaTheNome Sun 09-Oct-11 21:22:06

serin, I don't think DD was keen either but it was the best of (in her opinion) a bad lot!

She's just looked through all the Next dresses and rolled her eyes; the Tammy girl website - which has a huge number of strapless dresses yielded the unexpected result of her deciding she'd like to try some of them. Arghhh.

startail Mon 10-Oct-11 00:41:56

You absolutely can not win. DD2 agreed to a beautiful flowery Monsoon dress for a wedding that I didn't think I stood a chance of getting past the fashion radar.
Meanwhile DD1 made me take back a syrupy dress I thought she'd love.

startail Mon 10-Oct-11 00:43:03

Stripy dress < stupid iPod emocicon>

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Oct-11 09:00:32

I just got my dd a lovely dress from sainsburys. I'd link to it but they don't have a website showing their clothes. But they had quite a few nice ones in.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 10-Oct-11 10:37:10

OK - that decides whether DH or I should do the shopping today grin
Worth buying on spec from Sainsbos as so easy to return.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Oct-11 10:40:21

Hope you find one you think she,ll like. I got a green, spotty one. Dd actually chose it as she said it was gorgeous. We,d only gone to look at the Gok dresses for me. Which are crap btw.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Mon 10-Oct-11 12:04:23

blimey op you can still get your dd in dresses???

mine has now declared new look & h&m along with fatface the only places she will now shop

& refuses to wear anything that might get the comment "oh that looks pretty" from me

I would look online at shops like new look,miss selfridge together or ebay as I keep finding 12yr old dd on there too looking for handbags

GrimmaTheNome Mon 10-Oct-11 12:31:50

Not as a rule. Even this summer there were only a couple of dresses she'd wear on holiday as the rest were strappy hmm. Boardies and a rash vest preferred warm weather gear; back here, jeans (TBH, she'd spend all weekend in a wetsuit if she could!)

But she knows that this is the sort of occasion where all the other girls will be dressed up.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 10-Oct-11 21:31:13

Well, I got a dress from sainsbos - maybe the same one as you Viva though I'd call it teal. lovely crushed velvet bodice, spotty skirt. Bit tight round the chest, bit long - DD says it'll do if we can't find anything she likes, hmm, talk about damning with faint praise the awkward little so and so.

But I'm mightily relieved, as she really didn't have anything vaguely suitable that still fit her!

Thanks all smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Oct-11 21:34:10

Yep, same one my DD got. Its a nice dress and a good price as well! Glad you found one that was deemed OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now