Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask you what you think of the clothes on this website?

(33 Posts)
BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 22:56:59

Here

I have been leering at some of their clothes this week. DH thinks that they are idiots clothes and that if I buy any, I will look like Camilla Batmanjaheytrguynio (drunk, can't spell her name, sorry lovely Camilla)

I think that their stuff is Scandinavian chic. Am I a loon? I particularly like this ensemble.

smile

Katisha Sat 08-Oct-11 23:02:30

I have looked at this stuff before and concluded that in order to be able to carry it off you already have to dress like that. If you suddenly started people would think you had gorn mad.
Also you have to wear the lot because one thing on its own will look wierd. So its stripey socks and layering and the whole shebang.

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 23:05:36

Well, I do dress a little bit on the <ahem> eccentric side so I don't think anyone would think I had gone mad. Or any madder than before.

grin

hobnob Sat 08-Oct-11 23:07:00

I think you have to pick and choose from their catalogue. Some of their things will undoubtedly make you look like a clown; others are as you say Scandi-chic. I also think you have to be tall. I have a rather eccentric colleague who wears them and looks rather a 'character', but then she does anyway. I know that I'm too short for any of this stuff and would look swamped and silly.

I very much like the outfit you linked to, by the way. I see they do free delivery and returns, so could you try it and see?

Katisha Sat 08-Oct-11 23:07:03

Oh well go for it then. wink

I wish I could remember the website that caused much amusement on here some years ago - was usually referred to as clownwear.

hobnob Sat 08-Oct-11 23:08:12

Cross-posted with Katisha but agree completely with her.

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 23:11:42

Ahhh, see I am short and fat curvy so this is where the risk comes in for me. I like this dress too. I was thinking with thick tights and wintee boots, I might not look so conspicuous. (I like the grey/yellow version of it)

I quite like the idea of wearing this stuff when I hit 60 or something. I've always wanted to be an eccentric older lady with batty clothes and pink hair. wink

HotBurrito1 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:15:04

There's definitely more than a little pottiness at play on that site bupcakes. My first thought is, it's all sacks a little shapeless. Eccentricity is no bad thing, but wearing tents could cause snagging issues (door handles etc), or potential take off in high winds. Approach with caution.

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 23:20:01

I agree with you about sacks/shapelessness.

Also massive grin at snagging on door handles! I have one voluminous dress thing with huge pockets that catches on my door handles and it drives me berserk!

ripitupandstartagain Sat 08-Oct-11 23:23:11

Agree with HotBurrito1 grin

HotBurrito1 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:24:42

Yes I have a frock that does that. Any clothing which impedes your ability to achieve safe passage around your house is a no no. Perhaps you can achieve the eccentric old lady thing through the aquisition of many cats?

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 23:29:39

Many cats and a cupboard full of out of date tins? I can do that!

You've saved me £68 there!

ripitupandstartagain Sat 08-Oct-11 23:30:10

Unless you are a 'zany' student best to step away from that website whilst you still can and then no one will get hurt..

LapsedPacifist Sat 08-Oct-11 23:31:06

I have a few (very nice) garments from this company blush but the secret is to only wear one thing at a time, and NEVER layer and accessorize them all together as shown on the website. I am also v. tall so can sort of get away with it. The clothes come up huge BTW, I have probably returned more stuff than I've kept for this reason.

I don't see my inlaws - (not my choice and v. long story) and I love winding DH up by showing him the wackiest stripy/spotty tangerine and lime combos I can find in the catalogue and tell him I'll buy them ESPECIALLY for when I'm finally invited to visit the PILs grin.

festi Sat 08-Oct-11 23:31:10

your husband is right,this is lazy eclectic, escentric type look. If you have the flare for this fashion then the idea is not to be paying these prices but to be ensembeling an eclectic collection that is individual. To purchase this pre styled and comersialised is pretentiouse and obviously "not you" as the artiustic flare is not unique.

cerealqueen Sat 08-Oct-11 23:32:18

Its all a bit 'Prairie Elf' if you ask me. There might be the odd nice thing but I can't say I've seen one yet.....

HotBurrito1 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:33:55

Bupcakes glad to be of assistance smile

LapsedPacifist Sat 08-Oct-11 23:36:58

I have this dress which is actually lovely without the nasty leggings, bonkers flatties and the droopy petti showing underneath etc.

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 23:38:49

Oooh I spotted that dress too Lapsed. It's lovely!

neuroticmumof3 Sun 09-Oct-11 12:49:08

I love looking at this site but am never brave enough to order anything. I would like to become the eccentric older woman who wears things like this, but feel I would also have to stop dying my hair and go 'au naturel' and I'm not ready for it yet.

twinklytroll Sun 09-Oct-11 12:54:19

I would possible wear the odd thing in isolation although I would struggle with the lack of shape. I am someone who can be quite eccentric in what I wear though so I would probably get away with it.

pointydog Sun 09-Oct-11 12:55:18

I agree totally with your dh.

TethHearseEnd Sun 09-Oct-11 14:16:14

Look. Normally I'd err on the side of 'if you like it, get it', but on this occasion I think we're going to have to stage some sort of intervention.

We all love you.

We want the best for you.

This is for your own good.

If you buy one, single, brightly patterned 'kooky' item from that purveyor of hideous tat, we will be forced to call the authorities.

Accept the help we're offering. Be strong!

TethHearseEnd Sun 09-Oct-11 14:18:50

LOOK AT THE DESIGNER

LOOK AT HER!!!!

Tortington Sun 09-Oct-11 14:20:15

certainly got that 'loony art teacher' vibe

i like some of it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now