Talk

Advanced search

My nail varnish always chips, what am I doing wrong?

(12 Posts)
TheBloodCountessBathory Sat 08-Oct-11 10:09:43

Love wearing nail varnish for work but once I've grappled with dressing toddler, nappy changes and the car seat it's usually chipped. I admit I never spend more than about £6 or £7 on it - should I invest in a more expensive one . . . if so which?

Also, am I supposed to do more than 1 layer? I am usually in a rush and would rather just do one . . .

rubyrubyruby Sat 08-Oct-11 10:12:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LynetteScavo Sat 08-Oct-11 10:15:50

IME the cost of nail varnish has nothing to do with the quality.

TheBloodCountessBathory Sat 08-Oct-11 10:17:55

Oh ok, thanks both. I will try putting top coat on!

SolarPrestigeAGammon Sat 08-Oct-11 10:39:10

Happened to me, even after having a professional manicure. I think some people are just nail varnish chippers. They go au naturel now.

PrimaBallerina Sat 08-Oct-11 10:40:58

Have you thought about having gels? £25ish but would last about 4 weeks looking perfect.

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Sat 08-Oct-11 10:43:35

Agree with prima Gels last much longer and providing you dont rip them off but remove them properly they wont wreck your nails.

But if you wanto to paint your nails then do what ruby said - and it doesnt matter the price of the nail varnish.

TheBloodCountessBathory Sat 08-Oct-11 19:08:46

Never heard of gels - will investigate! thanks!

moragbellingham Sat 08-Oct-11 19:26:35

Same here - base coat, two coats of colour and then a top coat.
The top coat makes them look shinier and doubles the time before they chip IMO.

manicmummyoftwo Sat 08-Oct-11 19:42:17

I mange to get 6 days out of mine before re-doing. Time spent doing them properly is worth it. I use Mavala base coat, 2 coats of colour (usually Barbara Daly from Tesco) and 1 coat of Rimmel top coat; followed by half an hour of doing nowt - definately the hardest part of the whole process!!!

MadamTwoSwords Sat 08-Oct-11 20:33:29

I got a little bottle of OPI chip skip off eBay for about £4, used that then base, 2 costs and top coat and it lasted 10 days without a chip.
Will be stocking up next payday smile

Meglet Sat 08-Oct-11 20:39:12

Buff first to smooth out the ridges.

Undercoat.
Two coats of polish.
I use Sally Hansen quick dry no-chip top coat to finish.

I can get a week out of my fingers now with just a few tiny dabs to top up small chips.

I only wear No.7 polish as they have lots of £5 off coupons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now