Talk

Advanced search

graduation ceremony

(7 Posts)
kittydreamer Sat 08-Oct-11 08:02:16

Hello I am going to a graduation ceremony in December? Its at the Royal Festival Hall in London . It is during the day. I cant wear heels and havent a clue what sort of clothing is suitable for such an event. Can anyone advise?

Hassled Sat 08-Oct-11 08:08:03

Wedding sort of clothes - plenty of hats and posh frocks were in evidence at my DS1's ceremony. Just a smart, nice dress will be fine I'd have thought.

kittydreamer Sat 08-Oct-11 08:12:12

Are trousers acceptable? I have nothing in the wedding and posh frocks department at moment dont wear that sort of clothing.

Hassled Sat 08-Oct-11 08:22:01

Smart trousers would be fine. TBH while there's the milling round outside watching young people throw their mortarboards in the air bit, most of the time you're sat in a packed hall while this production line of graduates walks up to get their degree. If I'd blinked I'd have missed DS1.

MrsHollywood Sat 08-Oct-11 08:34:37

Are you graduating or watching? Will you be in official photos?

kittydreamer Sat 08-Oct-11 08:40:57

Im a guest. Dont know about official photos, hope not!

MrsHollywood Sat 08-Oct-11 11:41:07

In that case, I second the comment about 'wedding wear'. In fact, everything Hassled said!

I asked about the photos because, if you're having your picture taken with the graduate in question (you'll prob do this anyway, in your own photos?) then you might want to consider the colours of the robe. My uni had a very black and red colour scheme going on, but some have hideous pink, yellow and navy! It probably sounds silly, but I wouldn't want to clash.

You may be standing around a bit - either waiting for the ceremony or at some sort of reception thing afterwards - so don't go for sky high heels. Trousers, nice shirt/blousy thing and a nice, funky necklace would be good, I should think!

Hope you enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now