Talk

Advanced search

Smart shoes for work meetings which you can actually walk in but aren't frumpy?

(24 Posts)
Lulworthblue Fri 07-Oct-11 23:56:57

anyone?

Usually to be worn with smart jeans plus blazer and nice top type look. Nothing frumpy. A heel would be good but I need to be able

flowermonkey Sat 08-Oct-11 04:13:00

Clarks?

Usually find their shoes comfortable and practical. Mary Jane type shoes with a strap are normally quite a good bet and not too frumpy!

Merle Sat 08-Oct-11 05:35:02

Please can I join this with the same plea for help? A lot of the smart shoes in the shops look great, but the heels are sky-high. The rest seem very frumpy. Where has the middle ground gone?

How about heeled ankle boots? Or wedges? I saw a couple of lovely pairs in Office today.

Gillybobs Sat 08-Oct-11 14:12:21

Heeled brogues are everywhere, Im not great with heels but find these v comfy, probably because you tie them on, so no need to grip to keep them on. Some nice ones here

MollieO Sat 08-Oct-11 14:14:46

I got these ones and can confirm they are good to walk in.

noddyholder Sat 08-Oct-11 14:24:01

these look dreadful in the pic but classic irl and comfy

MollieO Sat 08-Oct-11 14:26:39

I've got those ones too, which is why I now have the other ones. Wore those out to a business lunch and went arse over apex. blush The heel is pretty high for doing lots of walking.

chocolateshoes Sat 08-Oct-11 14:35:31

I've got these for work & I love them, and gets loads of compliments

www.clarks.co.uk/find/department-is-women/producttype-is-shoes/colour-is-red/product-is-20347931

Lulworthblue Sat 08-Oct-11 17:59:29

Like the topnshop heeled brogues and now found some nice Mary Portas for Clarks ones. I do like wedges so more ideas in that direction would be great. The Marks ones are similar to something I've got.

OldBride Sat 08-Oct-11 23:39:33

This is a question with an impossible answer. Why aren't we being more stroppy about it? I even emailed the sainted M Portas about it when she put a circular in our professional journal about what older working women wanted. 3" mary janes aren't the answer - sorry Mary. I regularly have to pack a trundle for three days in London. Meetings, public transport - it's a nightmare. It's not so bad in deep winter - flat boots always look better than flat shoes. Transition time, like now, is soooo difficult. The best I have managed is these Bertie ankle boots www.johnlewis.com/141375/Product.aspx.

AnnetteProfit Sun 09-Oct-11 08:17:50

Clarks. But look
Online not in store

AnnetteProfit Sun 09-Oct-11 08:21:14

Agree with noddy wedge ones. I have the Clarks grey leopard. Are ace. No rubbing at all Rl mate swears on
The next wedge ones with s buckle. Look nice on her.

My heeled loafers are tesco and are super comfy (now) despite high block heel.
Is interesting q. I hate mid heels you see

AnnetteProfit Sun 09-Oct-11 08:22:12

Love those berties

mousymouse Sun 09-Oct-11 08:23:07

how about school shoes?
seriously, they are often quite smart without the heel.

mousymouse Sun 09-Oct-11 08:26:19

and I like them because I walk a lot and wanted shoes that look good on the school run as well as in the office.

notevenamousie Sun 09-Oct-11 08:27:07

I have these in black and brown - a close colleague does too - we are both in our 30s and I commute by bus/train in them.

AnnetteProfit Sun 09-Oct-11 10:01:00

you see i cant get my head around that heel

noddyholder Sun 09-Oct-11 11:32:35

I like a definite heel those little in betweeners are mumsy. The wedges look good with skinny trousers and shorter trousers too.

iamabadger Sun 09-Oct-11 11:44:26

river island I have these, they come in about five other colours too including black and a bright turquoise.

AnnetteProfit Sun 09-Oct-11 12:08:27

You couldn't walk a distance in those river isan ones

I've got some Dr Martin cone heeled shoes which are very comfortable and not at all mumsy (well, I don't think they are anyway but I may be deluded - in which case, just ignore me and let me pootle (comfortably along) ignorant of my mumsiness). smile

These

iamabadger Sun 09-Oct-11 15:35:03

AnnetteProfit-I walk around a hospital all day in them! Everyone's different, and I don't recall the OP saying she wanted to go on hikes in them.

yellowraincoat Sun 09-Oct-11 15:36:59

Non heeled brogues, v fashionable here in E London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now