Talk

Advanced search

Acne on shoulders/upper back

(15 Posts)
ChateauMargot Fri 07-Oct-11 20:23:44

Does anyone have any treatment tips or products to suggest for this? It's only become a problem since I came off the pill several months ago - I also had terrible breakouts on my neck and jawline, but have brought those under control with some uber-pricey cleansing and topical products. Haven't been able to find anything similar for the back, though, and hard water/central heating/chafing from layers heading into A/W isn't helping! Would be eternally grateful if anyone can offer advice...

AmINearlyThereYet Fri 07-Oct-11 21:05:51

It might be worth seeing your GP. I suffered for ages with bad skin - nothing very dramatic, just always rather spotty - until eventually (when it spread to my back) I lost patience and went to my doctor. He was very sympathetic and prescribed a couple of things to help (sorry, can't remember what they were called).

jumpinghoops Fri 07-Oct-11 21:28:03

OP- I have found this good for my spottier than normal back- combined with one of these.

Could I ask which combo of products has helped with yr neck/jawline? I have had exactly the same with mine although decent diet/drinking loads of water has helped marginally.

snowmummy Fri 07-Oct-11 21:40:14

I'd see the GP. It sounds hormone related to me. I suffered similarly years ago.

gilmoregirl Sat 08-Oct-11 00:15:33

I had awful acne on my back as a teenager/20 something.

When I was 26 I finally ended up on rocacatane which got rid of most of it but that is rather drastic...

Antibiotic cream from GP?

Currently still have bad skin (at 38) sad esp on jawline so would love some tips on how to clear that up? am on anti biotics from GP for it and using clinique anti blemish facial soap

AmINearlyThereYet Sat 08-Oct-11 13:19:30

I use either neat tea tree oil (on individual spots) or sudocrem (on larger areas). In the past I have used this but it is ridiculously expensive (does last a long time though) and I can't decide whether it works any better than ordinary products from Boots/ Superdrug. If you want to try it out, you can buy it in a travel soap size for "only" £15, which should last several weeks.

gilmoregirl Sat 08-Oct-11 13:24:27

£100 for a soap - wowsers that is indeed ridiculously expensive!!!!!! shock

Esp if you are not certain it works - I guess I am desperate enough to spend that if it was a miricle product that would clear up my skin

Will try tea tree and sudocreme thank you

AmINearlyThereYet Sat 08-Oct-11 14:14:34

I was desperate and I read a very good review of it. I must have been quite impressed because I bought it twice, but I'm not sure how I justified that to myself hmm

It might be worth having a go with the travel size, though - here - because different things work for different people and, who knows, it could be the miracle you are looking for <hopeful icon>

littleomar Sat 08-Oct-11 17:10:50

dermalogica is working for me (although have had spotty back for 20+ years so may finally be growing out of it)

talkingnonsense Sat 08-Oct-11 17:14:37

And I would add make sure your hair conditioner is well rinsed off your skin, not rinsig the skin uner the hair gives me spots there.

homeaway Sat 08-Oct-11 17:35:42

I have just been reading about bicarbonate of soda as an exfoliant. I tried it this morning and it worked quite well and was not too abrasive, it might be worth a try. You just mix it with water. HTH.

ChateauMargot Sat 08-Oct-11 19:09:15

Thank you for all these suggestions! I'm sure that it's hormonal, but as we're TTC antibiotics are out of the question...

Jumpinghoops, for my neck/jawline I shelled out for 3 N-Lite treatments and have been using the Jan Marini bioclear/salicyclic/transformation serum regime for siz months. Have gone from painful, rash-like cystic acne to totally smooth skin, with scarring fading quickly. Totally transformed my confidence!

ChateauMargot Sat 08-Oct-11 19:10:31

apols for typos - am on DH's blackberry!

CointreauVersial Sat 08-Oct-11 19:31:10

OP, I had exactly the same when I came off the pill when TTC - all over my back - it was ghastly.

I went back to the GP, who prescribed a very good topical lotion that DH had to slather all over my back twice a day (oh, the romance). It helped a bit, but the GP did also point out that the moment I got pregnant it would disappear......and it did. So get cracking on the TTC!

ChateauMargot Sun 09-Oct-11 14:42:52

smile Cointreau

My mum has said the same thing, actually - the only thing that sorted her skin out was getting pregnant. As if I needed more reasons to feel desperate for a baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now