Talk

Advanced search

Need urgent answers please - what do dd and I wear to posh school open day tomorrow?

(26 Posts)
mrsrushmore Fri 07-Oct-11 19:15:45

This is a very last-minute request (will post in Education too), having just decided this afternoon that sporty dd and I are going to attend an open day at Millfield School in Somerset tomorrow. Here: www.millfieldschool.com/index.htm

She currently attends a comp, could only go there if she won a scholarship for the sixth form, and we're both desperate not to stand out for the wrong reasons.

What does one and one's 15-year-old teenager wear on such an occasion?

(Have namechanged as this post would definitely out me!)

Many thanks!

nokissymum Fri 07-Oct-11 19:20:32

I would just wear smart but casual clothes. Jeans /cords /skirt with smart jacket on top perhaps ? Try to avoid trainers especally for dd but sensible walking shoes.

Good luck, hope you both like it.

TethHearseEnd Fri 07-Oct-11 19:26:21

Boaters? Cravats?

TethHearseEnd Fri 07-Oct-11 19:26:56

<clueless>

spottypancake Fri 07-Oct-11 19:27:01

I agree with nokissymum for the adult clothes as long as you feel fine in it.

Think that your DD should wear something she is comfortable in and footwear that she can move around freely in. I don't see the problem with your DD wearing trainers if that is what she would be most comfortable in - she is going for a sports scholarship so it is only to be expected that she is sporty.

mrsrushmore Fri 07-Oct-11 19:32:27

Thanks - I expected some ripostes like tethhearseend!

I'm more concerned about dd - I'm at an age where I don't give too much of a damn about what other people think - but a teenager would be mortified if she felt she'd got it wrong!

Her peers seem to think that anything Superdry or Hollister is the only clothing worth considering - footwear is more of a dilemma.

orienteerer Fri 07-Oct-11 19:33:46

What ever you want, there will be so many people there that no one will notice.

pointydog Fri 07-Oct-11 19:37:48

It's you again.

Plus fours?

mrsrushmore Fri 07-Oct-11 19:40:12

????? pointydog.

pointydog Fri 07-Oct-11 19:40:51

I've just seen you on another thread.

mrsravelstein Fri 07-Oct-11 19:41:19

if it helps, ds1 has just moved from a private school to a state school, and all the mums in the state school playground wear exactly the same clothes as the private school ones smile.

they will just be normal people, wearing a wide range of clothes, so honestly i can't see how you could 'stand out for the wrong reasons'

NormanTebbit Fri 07-Oct-11 19:44:51

I'd get out of your trackies and lose the fag.

Effjay Fri 07-Oct-11 19:48:27

Bet there's loads of Jack Wills clones there as it's pretty sporty, isn't it?

Yourefired Fri 07-Oct-11 19:51:12

Agree with mrsravel, just done the rounds of state/private secondary schools, and saw no difference. Most people had made the effort to look informally smart, say relaxed Sunday lunch with the grandparents look. School looks good, hope it's what you want.

member Fri 07-Oct-11 19:52:12

narrow stone chinos with turn ups, boating or driving shoes, shirt/blouse with a collar, pearl earrings

forrestgump Fri 07-Oct-11 20:08:16

My son plays cricket and rugby at Millfield, honestly it isnt that scary. As long as your clean and tidy you realy not worry. I am sure the school is going to take up everys attention and not what you or your daughter wear.

At home clothes day at my sons school, all the school dressed down, it honestly isnt all hollister or superdry, yes there are a few but its only assumptions that they are the worn thing.

forrestgump Fri 07-Oct-11 20:09:13

and its only the local comp kids that carry the Jack Wills bags - with tesco hoodys inside!

HalfTermHero Fri 07-Oct-11 20:12:09

Boden would be a safe bet for you. Something like velvet wide leg trousers with a well ironed blouse or smart jumper. Add smallish diamond ear studs and a smart handbag. As for DD I would go with a smart dress and cardigan.

mrsrushmore Fri 07-Oct-11 21:09:35

Thanks - that's set my mind at rest.

HalfTermHero - I'm clearly a mn fraud as I don't own a single item of Boden.

Will go with: woollen skirt, cashmere M&S jumper, matching opaque tights and flat boots & jacket.

Dd is scouring her wardrobe and mine - but I have passed on the advice given here, thanks.

LoveInAColdClimate Fri 07-Oct-11 21:13:52

Millfield isn't scary, don't worry. Your outfit sounds very nice and I'm sure your DD will look fine too. Good luck!

gapants Fri 07-Oct-11 21:19:23

millfield girls rock the big hair, short skirt, ballet flat look. It all looks very Hollister/top shopy to me. It is not at all super smart. I live very near Street.

Tell you DD to wear ballet flats or little boots with jeans and a top, little slouch blazer, or if that is not her style and she wears sporty stuff all the time, go with that.

Good luck and have a lovely time.

Also, the 100 Monkey Cafe in Glastonbury about 5 miles up the road is DELICIOUS for lunch!

HalfTermHero Fri 07-Oct-11 21:22:21

The outfit you have chosen sounds perfect! Good luck and hope that you both enjoy the day.

OriginalGhoster Fri 07-Oct-11 21:23:04

The private school kids I know wear Abercrombie Fitch and Jack Wills, both expensive IMO. Just be yourselves and be confident that you have every right to be there. Good luck smile

mrsrushmore Sat 08-Oct-11 18:24:58

Thanks again for all the advice... we have just arrived back - dd loved the place and we had a great day.

Everything here was spot on - huge range of dress styles - one boy and his family looked like they'd just stepped off a farm in muddy boots, him wearing wellies. I bet they were minted though!

Dd eventually wore a jumpsuit with a t-shirt underneath, cardigan and flat boots - we did a lot of walking, so sensible footwear was vital.

We were so engrossed with all the information and seeing the school, that any concerns or nervousness on dd's part soon disappeared.

LoveInAColdClimate Sat 08-Oct-11 18:44:57

V glad it went well! Hope you get the result you and DD want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now