Talk

Advanced search

can't decide if this dress is mumsy...

(13 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Fri 07-Oct-11 13:35:38

liberty print tea dress from Brora

I fitted really well and wasn't too short which is normally a major problem for me as I am tall, I like the print and I can wear it for work with some brown chunky boots I have, I can sling it in the wash...but there is something I can't quite put my finger on.....I just wondered if it screamed mum.

polyhymnia Fri 07-Oct-11 13:38:45

Does look a bit mumsy on the site but that may be the way it's styled I guess.

I like it alot, but then I am a sucker for liberty prints.

ElderberrySyrup Fri 07-Oct-11 13:41:27

I think it is utterly lovely and it is a bit middle-aged but it is so nice I wouldn't care.
I think how it came across on you would just depend on your style, haircut, what the boots were like, etc etc.

Moredofbumsnet Fri 07-Oct-11 13:43:53

I think the problem is what will you wear over it when winter comes. Either a cardi or a jacket will make it seriously mumsy. But it is lovely as it is.

whoneedssleepanyway Fri 07-Oct-11 13:49:23

I love the print. There was another dress in the same print [http://www.brora.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?WebShopCodeStr=A1&WebSegmentCodeStr=S2&WebCategoryCodeStr=CE&StyleCodeStr=DD128 here]] which looked fab with a belt and felt trendier but it was that bit shorter and I am tall and it was that awkward length sort of just below mid thigh (on someone shorter it would have been on the knee which would have been fine) and I know I would have found it too short.

Maybe I will hang on to it for a week or so and see how I feel as I could return it.

Moredofbumsnet (like the name) I did wonder that, I thought maybe some kind of cropped cardigan...

whoneedssleepanyway Fri 07-Oct-11 13:50:31

don't know what went wrong with that link

here

MrsVoltar Fri 07-Oct-11 14:03:15

Like the last one you linked to better.
Think it would depend what you wore dress with.

Ayoop Fri 07-Oct-11 14:17:55

Very underwhelming for £90.

kerstina Fri 07-Oct-11 14:32:49

Dislike ! Even Kate Moss would look mumsy in that. Just not my cup of tea but if you like it fine.

higgle Fri 07-Oct-11 15:12:09

Doesn't deal with the mumsy point but I have had a couple of these dresses for work, where I have to look fairly respectable. They are great because you can wash and tumble dry them, don't need ironing, they last forever and if you accessorise them nicely can look quite stylish. Brora is relly about things that look good quality and last, so they are never bang up to date fashion. They look nice with whimisical arty accessories. If you get sick of it you can usually get a good price on ebay when you have finished with anything Brora.

I think it does look rather mumsy, unless you are tall enough for it to be over the knee on you. A short-ish dress like that, plus chunky brown boots and a long cardigan or denim jacket would be quite cute in a Land Girl sort of way.

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 10-Oct-11 11:51:23

Thanks all, I am tall and it was just on the knee. Decided as it was £££ and I wasn't sure to return it. Tried on the shorter version again (my second link) with a hipster belt and it looked really nice and becuase it was shorter didn't feel mumsy at all and looked nice with opaques (wasn't too short) so changed it, am v pleased with it as it is a lovely print and v comfy too and can be dressed up or down for any occassion.

It is still pricey (buy much cheaper than the other one) but I have had a Brora dress before and they do wash brilliantly like higgle says. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now