Talk

Advanced search

Least damaging home hair dye?

(4 Posts)
poppyhoppy Thu 06-Oct-11 23:58:06

what the title says, really!

I have curly hair and do no-poo. Anyone knowledgable about this sort of thing?

poppyhoppy Fri 07-Oct-11 00:05:31

And is it true that henna dries your hair out and makes it frizzy?

TattyDevine Fri 07-Oct-11 08:35:46

I don't think they differ wildly. Castings Cream Gloss is ammonia free, but apparently has a stronger developer/peroxide to ensure even results. Semi's are likely to have less-strong peroxide generally though, but having said that if it means they don't last as long and you end up running the colour through the lengths more than you would with a permenant, then any benefit from this would be lost.

The main thing for condition with whatever you use is that you don't over process the hair when you come to dye it again. So if you only need to do your roots, you only do your roots, etc. If you are losing colour or vibrance in the lengths and it needs refreshing, run it through just at the end, etc.

I don't know much about henna but i do know that its hard to remove if you don't like it and you have to be careful dying over it with traditional dyes as it can react badly and give very unpredictable results. So I think if you did want to go down the henna route you'd have to be very sure it was the colour you wanted.

Whitecat Fri 07-Oct-11 12:31:17

You could try Daniel Field Natural Colours - Watercolours. They leave your hair in lovely condition and don't strip any colour from it. Just be careful when you touch up because you do get a build up of colour over time. Mine ended up really dark. But I liked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now