Talk

Advanced search

Does perfume keep?

(7 Posts)
littledolly Thu 06-Oct-11 21:37:09

Can anyone tell me if perfume changes at all if it's not taken out of the box or opened? Boots have the perfume I'm wearing at the minute on a great offer. I've just bought a bottle which I'm using at the minute, but I'm tempted to buy another one too and keep it unopened for a few months until I need it. However, I'm worried it will go 'off'.
Can anyone advise?

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 06-Oct-11 21:40:23

It keeps fine for a couple of years, but any longer than that it will start to change. It wont smell off for many, many years, but the fragrance notes will start to alter.

But a couple of months? Will honestly be totally fine. Buy it, don't open it, and keep in a cool, dark place for best results. In a box, and not in the kitchen or bathroom would be perfect.

Havingkittens Thu 06-Oct-11 21:41:10

It should be fine if it's unopened in the box. Keep it somewhere cool and dark. I have no doubt that a lot of shops keep them in boxes for quite some time, not to mention the manufacturers.

littledolly Fri 07-Oct-11 08:45:57

Great - thanks for your replies. I thought it probably would be OK, but just wanted to check. It's a DKNY one, on offer at £28 from £43 and it also qualifies for the £5 off fragrance voucher at the moment, so works out at £23. It's Eau de Parfum too.

I have perfume that is well over 20 years old, it is possible it has changed, but it is not detectable.

I keep them all cool, dark and boxed.

I recently sold some 10 year old (opened) discontinued perfume on e-bay for a small fortunegrin

monkeysmama Fri 07-Oct-11 09:45:34

Is wasn't Fendi by any chance was it WildThings? I cannot believe the price it goes for on eBay especially as they were selling it for £7 in Wilkos before it was discontinued.

No it was Clinique Simply. I have seen the price Fendi goes for and am also a Wilkos shopper. Wish I had a crystal ballgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now