Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mulberry Bayswater

(24 Posts)
Popbiscuit Thu 06-Oct-11 17:28:47

I'm thinking of investing in one but wondering what Mulberry owners think. Was it worth the price? Is it a good everyday bag for busy mums or do you find it awkward or bulky? Any other suggestions for something similar in style/quality?

chipstick10 Thu 06-Oct-11 17:50:32

i have two. One printed the other not. I got the classic colours black and oak. I feel sooooo special when im carrying my bays. Its extremely roomy and you get lost trying to find your phone or keys. Its lovely dressed up and dressed down.. It is quite a heavy bag and in winter cannot be worn on the shoulder because it doesnt fit on the shoulder over a coat. I think they are a very good investment and sell well on ebay.

maz78 Thu 06-Oct-11 19:36:39

I got the East West Bayswater which is smaller and considerably lighter because I found the Bayswater too heavy. You can fit a surprising amount in it, I absolutely love it and it's aged well so totally worth the price. I also have a large Somerset Tote, which is great for carrying children's things around. Great bags, I'd love another one!

Popbiscuit Thu 06-Oct-11 19:39:32

Thanks, Chip. I was wondering about the shoulder thing with winter coats as we live in really heavy coats for a large portion of the year. Love that they can very easily be dressed up or down. I'm debating between the sensible dark chocolate colour or the not-sensible purple. Hmmmm...

Popbiscuit Thu 06-Oct-11 19:40:43

Just saw your reply, Maz. Thanks. Yes; I was looking at that one as well. How long have you had it? I'm trying to compare to the longevity of handbags I currently have.

maz78 Thu 06-Oct-11 20:29:03

I'm assuming you mean the East West, I've had it nearly 3 years and it's pretty immaculate. Initially, I thought it was a bit weird that it wasn't lined but linings are the first things to get trashed so it's actually a good thing. I can fit it over my shoulder, perhaps not with a puffa jacket but with most other jackets/coats.

If you're lucky enough to be in London, check out Coach bags, they are pretty good value for money and last well in my experience. I'm loving the fact the one I bought 4 years ago has just been re-issued as a 'classic'!

Also, if you're thinking in terms of longevity coloured bags don't do as well as black or brown sadly. The colour does fade even if you keep them in dustbags etc.

I hope that helps...

carciofi Thu 06-Oct-11 20:33:43

I have the east west bayswater too, for a couple of years now and it still looks perfect and fits a fair bit. I do still want the large bayswater but I think the fact that you can't wear it on your shoulder could be annoying. Also second Coach.

Popbiscuit Thu 06-Oct-11 21:17:15

Good info. Thanks! I have two Coach bags which I've had for years and they still look brand new. They are fantastic quality and value for money, I think, but they are everywhere here (we live in Canada so they are quite readily accessible...ie; our closest mall has a Coach store). That said I saw someone in Starbucks today who had a gorgeous orange leather one...The coloured bags are so tempting but I know I should go with a more practical colour.
I like the Mulberry bags because they are a little different and the logo is not too blaring.

yummybunny Fri 07-Oct-11 15:02:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thepassenger Fri 07-Oct-11 17:22:35

I think Coach is a bit smarter here, because it's quite new here in the UK and there aren't many stores and they have been launched quite high end/New York princess style (nothing like Guess which as far as I know is Eurotrash tat).
But a Bayswater is a complete classic, you can't go wrong.

dalek Fri 07-Oct-11 17:52:38

Thank you ladies - on the strength of this thread I have today bought the Coach Madison Abigail in Persimmon - it's lovely

FIFIBEBE Fri 07-Oct-11 18:31:17

I have a brown crocodile Bayswater which I love. It is heavy though, but can fit loads in. It is quite scruffy/worn now but still a fave.

Popbiscuit Fri 07-Oct-11 20:02:59

Oh, Dalek! That's exactly the one I was talking about! Absolutely beautiful colour and perfect for fall. Hope you enjoy it smile

Fifi; some bags look better when they are broken in and well-loved; I'm guessing the Bayswater might be one of them...

HalfTermHero Fri 07-Oct-11 20:04:19

The bayswater is a total classic and a good investment. I used to have an oak one but sold it as I just found it a bit too big and heavy. Moneywise, I got back very close to what I paid for it. Ironically I then spent the money from the oak bays on a bayswater in another colour. There is no helping or reasoning with a Mulberry addict.....

yummybunny Mon 10-Oct-11 06:46:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Liveinthepresent Mon 10-Oct-11 09:57:36

I too have brown crocodile Bayswater - approx 5 years old - still going strong - love it - dont use it that often so always feels like a treat when I do - very spacious its pretty practical for work - though the not fitting on shoulder thing probably is what stops me using it more.
Would love another.

NewChoos Mon 10-Oct-11 10:39:42

I've got a coach bag and love it - I don't think there are any old lady connotations confused

chiplover Mon 10-Oct-11 11:43:35

I have a coach handbag, and it's definately hasn't got old lady connotations to it. I am only 32, not sure how old you are yummybunny!

KWL51 Mon 10-Oct-11 12:02:23

i have two bayswater, the purple metallic leather and an oak one. i do like them but more work bag for me as the short strap drives me amd falling off my shoulder. It seems more designed to be carried victoria beckham/wag style in the crook of your arm.
I really like my daria as it fits perfectly on my shoulder but the logo is a bit more blingy than bayswater. Roxanne is a fail safe as well although not sure if they sell those anymore?
The bella is fab as well i have that in black and oak.

HalfTermHero Mon 10-Oct-11 12:43:24

You can still get the Roxanne at the Mulberry outlets. It stays on the shoulder really well, you can fit lots in it and it is old school cool.

NewChoos Mon 10-Oct-11 12:47:27

I do like the Roxanne <hopes madammechelot doesn't see post> smile

HalfTermHero Mon 10-Oct-11 13:49:02

Yeah, I love roxy. It looks great paired with skinny grey jeans and a vest top. It looks good without being too try hard.

mosschops30 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:57:47

What are the differences between the bayswater in shops and on the outlet? Are they just different seasons.
I would love a bayswater but £700 is too much, it would have to be an outletbag for me

HalfTermHero Mon 10-Oct-11 15:06:16

Bayswaters at outlet are very often older seasons stock (so discontinued colours but exactly as the bag was when it was sold full price). You sometimes get current season stock that is damaged. So you might find an oak bays with a small, unnoticeable fault with the stitching of a very minor fault in the leather ( a tiny mark for example). The faults are often so minor that you can barely notice them. Finally, you get 'outlet special bayswaters'. These are bags that gave been made straight for outlet. Outlet specials usually lack the four metal feet on the underside of the bag and often don't gave a cloche with keys hanging from the handle. They are often in leathers and colours/prints that have never been sold at full price.
I have bought old season and slightly damaged bays at outlet previously and been really happy with them. I am not attracted to the outlet specials though. I prefer the idea of getting a bargain (so several hundred off the full RRP!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now