Talk

Advanced search

Embarrassing beauty question - please please help

(8 Posts)
soembarrassedpleasehelp Thu 06-Oct-11 11:59:19

I've name changed because I've got an embarrassing problem and would like some advice.

Since having DC (the youngest is now 7) I've had a problem with hair growing on my breasts, particularly around my nipple area (but not on the actual nipple). They are random, dark hairs, about 10 on each breast. I pluck them about once a week, but they always grow back. Sometimes the hair folicle grows underneath the top layer of skin (so it's visable) but I can't get to it to remove it. It then sometimes develops as a spot which, when picked at, allows me to remove the hair.

This is really getting me down as I'm embarrassed and don't want my DH to see.

Has anyone else had this problem and can provide any solutions?

I am curious about these home IPL hair removal systems, the ones that use pulses of light to destroy the hair follicle. Boots have several for sale but they are really expensive, about £400. However I guess this would be cheaper (and less embarrassing) than going to a beauty salon for several treatments. The thing is, it doesn't say on any of the information whether it is safe to use on the breast/nipple area. It does say it is ok to use on other sensitive areas of the body, such as the bikini line and face, so I'm guessing it would be ok on the breast area?

Has anyone used one of these and do they work?

Thanks for your help.

NewChoos Thu 06-Oct-11 12:15:52

I had IPL on my <ahem> upper lip area (being dark haired....). I think it worked partially but didn't eliminate the problem. I had quite a few sessions as well. I think it depends on skin tone etc more effective on pale skin and dark hair.
I think salons have seen everything and so wouldn't be too embarrassing after the initial visit for you maybe and would be more effective than a home system as the power is less on the home use ones.
Alternatively, have you thought about using an epilater?

I would also imagine your DH doesn't even notice smile I think I could possibly grow 2 heads and mine would still say I looked nice....

NewChoos Thu 06-Oct-11 12:18:56

Although I am deeply sympathetic and try to examine my face closely in direct sunlight at least weekly to detect any hirsutism!

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 06-Oct-11 13:14:19

I'd go to a salon and get them zapped if they bother you. I get them as well since having babies. I just pluck them out and they don't bother me that much. (wondering if they should)

meltedchocolate Thu 06-Oct-11 13:19:14

I get about three on each but always have. I just pluck them out as well. They have never ingrown though. Perhaps just keep plucking and buy some anti-ingrowing-hairs cream? I really wouldn't think the beauty salon would care and they could give you proper advice.

tangerinajolie Thu 06-Oct-11 14:12:23

As a Beauty therapist myself, I really feel so sad and sorry to read how distressed you are by this as it is not an unusual problem at all. Don't worry, it can be treated easily.

Please don't feel embarrassed about going to a salon - just do some research to chose one you feel comfortable with.

You need to find a salon offering hair removal by electrolysis and try to find a therapist who is experienced. She will be used to treating breast hairs. You will often find a therapist working from a small salon offers this service and you may find that a less intimidating environment.

A small electric current is passed into the hair follicle to destroy the root via a tiny needle. It is a little uncomfortable but not too bad and over very quickly.
The hair is then usually removed.
You need the hair to be in it's growing stage to be successfully stopped from regrowing and so you will need a course of treatments to treat them all at the right time.

You would need to stop plucking them yourself so that it does not interfere with the treatments working (plucking can possibly stimulate more hair growth anyway so not an ideal way to remove the hairs).

Hth.

I would avoid a home ipl btw - I don't believe they are strong enough to work and would not want to risk messing around in such an delicate area.

tangerinajolie Thu 06-Oct-11 14:15:44

Sorry - meant to say therapists working from a 'home' salon (not 'small' salon).

Also, you should find this would cost you far less than £400 the home ipl would cost you!

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 06-Oct-11 14:30:37

I had electrolysis on my "tash" and although it felt warm in the area being treated it was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now