Talk

Advanced search

Which oil for my hair (if any)?

(12 Posts)
Wrigglebum Wed 05-Oct-11 21:27:16

I have very dry and fluffy hair that has a tendency to get very big and crazy if I don't smooth it down and condition it well, but too much conditioning and it gets really weighed down. The problem is that each hair is very fine, but I have lots of it, it takes an age to dry properly. It's pretty much straight, with some wavy bits and can get pretty mad.

I've used serums and all sorts of deep conditioning treatments but nothing seems to be cutting the mustard any more. I spent out on some Philip Kingsley Minimizer that has Argan oil, and is supposed to be the dog's, but it just doesn't seem enough to smooth my hair unless I use loads. So I'm thinking instead of using products with oil in, it might be better and cheaper to use a little oil on it when it's wet. Also using it as a pre-shampoo treatment sometimes.

Now is argan oil going to be ok used like that, or is it too heavy? I also hear good things about the monoi Tahitian oil- would that work instead/as well? Has anyone used these with good or bad results? Is it too much to want smooth and shiny hair?

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 21:29:09

Have you tried vo5 hot oil or coconut oil?

Wrigglebum Wed 05-Oct-11 21:35:32

VO5 hot oil doesn't make too much difference, marginally smoother straight after then back to fluffy and dry the next day. Not tried coconut, is it heavy? I think the monoi oil is mainly coconut but nicely scented?

TattyDevine Wed 05-Oct-11 21:36:04

Ooh you need to do one of these!

TattyDevine Wed 05-Oct-11 21:36:52

Monoi oil is nice as a treatment but it won't solve your problem which is due to your hair's natural texture. The Amazon link, however, will grin

Read the reviews

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 21:40:20

I know several people who swear by coconut oil, try it.

Wrigglebum Wed 05-Oct-11 21:42:28

Tried the Scott Cornwall straightening system, 4 hours of my life with chemicals and ghds. Straightened out some of the wavy bits but still fluffy and big.

ujjayi Wed 05-Oct-11 21:57:04

Kerastase Elixir Ultime is fabulous. Works a treat on my dry and fluffy hair. You can use it either as a pre-shampoo treatment or before drying. I also use it inbetween hair washes to smooth down any flyaways.

Do you use any other products? I ask because I have used Kerastase Volume Active for a while but only applied to roots (as directed by hairdresser). I recently applied it to the lengths and ends of my hair by accident - I wasn't concentrating as was in a rush - and was delighted to find that instead of fluffy fly-away ends I got swishy salon finish hair smile So that product may be worth a try too.

Mumelie Wed 05-Oct-11 22:06:03

I have that same hair! My best combo so far is in damp hair a drop of light Moroccan oil and a few sprays of john Frieda 3 daystraight. Then blow dry and lightly straighten (hate that poker straight hair look).

Wrigglebum Thu 06-Oct-11 18:37:22

Got some coconut oil and it has made the ends feel less dry, going to do a proper treatment with it when I get a chance. And it was only £1.99 at Superdrug grin.

Some lovely suggestions, I want to try them all but trying to economise! I guess my thoughts were that if X, Y or Z oil are so damn good because they have argan oil in then would it be better and/or cheaper just to use a dab of the pure oil rather than something with added chemicals and silicone?

Jessicaalbastwin Thu 06-Oct-11 18:51:07

I use the elemis japanese camellia oil, it's absoulately gorgeous, well for me anyway. It leaves my hair really soft, shiny and moisturised.

Wrigglebum Thu 06-Oct-11 21:35:19

That's interesting Jessica, I hadn't heard of that before. Thank you.

It's also recommended for pregnant tummies to prevent stretch marks so if it doesn't work out on my hair I can use it on my bump smile. After a bit of a google looks like other places sell the oil a bit cheaper- Fushi looks good for oils etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now