Talk

Advanced search

capsule wardrobe?

(5 Posts)
messymammy Wed 05-Oct-11 18:04:03

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for a capsule wardrobe? I've so many clothes I never wear and I want to do a big clear out, but what should I keep? What's classic enough to keep for a few years, and what should go?

I've been looking online and so far what I've come up with is:
2 pairs of jeans
1 tracksuit
2 skirts, 1 dark, 1 light
6 tops, 2 long sleeved, 2 short sleeved, 1 white shirt, 1 dressy top
3 dresses, 1 jumper dress, 1 cocktail dress, 1 shirt dress
1 trenchcoat
1 blazer
1 leather jacket
4 cardigans/ fine knit jumpers, 1 dark, 1 light, 2 coloured
2 everyday handbags, 1 dark, 1 light/ coloured
3 pairs of shoes, 1 pair black/ neutral pumps, 1 pair high heels, 1 pair runners
1 pair wedge boots

as many scarves/ belts/ necklaces/ tights as required

Am I mising something integral or does this sound enough?

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Wed 05-Oct-11 18:08:43

Sounds good, I would add another day dress which can be worn under a jumper or on it's own in warmer weather.

Also you need a classic pair of trousers such as these

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Wed 05-Oct-11 18:10:39

Do you have any links to the clothes you have in mind?

meltedchocolate Wed 05-Oct-11 18:26:38

That sounds great. Have you actually found these items?

Gillybobs Wed 05-Oct-11 18:32:26

Sundress or summery dress?
Id say if you wear skirts you want a couple for summer and a couple for cold weather (a denim one always a good option)
Warm jacket and coat (casual and smarter)?
Also think you are a bit light on tops, 2 short sleeve tops in summer is going to require military precision with your laundry and not a lot of choice

A good idea i saw elsewhere on MN is to think through all the typical events you might have in a year including day to day stuff, everything from playdates, meeting friend for lunch, formal meeting or appointment, out for dinner,special birthday party etc etc and imagine if your capsule wardrobe would cover all these occasions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now