Talk

Advanced search

cheer me up and tell me Primark sizes are stingy!

(24 Posts)
DottyDot Wed 05-Oct-11 13:27:58

sigh. I've lost nearly two stone recently, so had a quick look in Primark today as lots of my size 20 stuff is now too big and I'm wearing size 18 stuff bought ages ago when I was last a size 18 from M&S and Debs.

I fancied a couple of new bits and bobs but don't want to spend too much as I'm aiming to be a size 16 soon-ish. Tried on a pair of jeans and a top and neither came anywhere near me sad. I've got at least 2 more stone to lose so am keeping going, but are Primark generally less generous than other shops?

Beamur Wed 05-Oct-11 13:30:01

I think so. A lot of cheaper clothing tends to skimp on size a bit and can be slightly more prone to shrinking too.
If I get DD t-shirts from supermarkets I usually go for a bigger size to allow for that.

sandyballs Wed 05-Oct-11 13:30:15

Yes very much so, I'm usually a 14 but need at least a 16 in there. My tall very skinny 10 year old needs an 8 shock, the kids clothes won't go near her.

DottyDot Wed 05-Oct-11 13:31:34

Hurrah!! smile I reckon I'll need to lose another half a stone to get into their 18's, by which time I might be a 16 in Debs! grin

Just came out feeling really effing miserable that I couldn't pick up a couple of bits and bobs - am refusing to buy any more size 20's ever again!

jeee Wed 05-Oct-11 13:32:44

I've always found they come up big on the bottom, but leave no room for boobs.

sprinkles77 Wed 05-Oct-11 13:38:24

Yes they're stingy compared with elsewhere. And the fabric shrinks when you wash it. And their Lycra is either rubbish or missing -so I can't stretch their mean sizes and continue deluding myself-.

JohnniesBitch Wed 05-Oct-11 13:41:49

I've lost weight this year a fair bit as well, but can only buy stretchy tops or leggings in primark oh and pants! The dress im wearing today is a boden 14, now i know that means a 16/18 elsewhere but a primark 18 fitted style dress is too small. a topshop 16 fits me as well so i would expect an 18 in primark to fit.

Well done on losing two stone a good acheivement!

madmomma Wed 05-Oct-11 13:42:21

Tiny. You're really a size 8 wink x

DottyDot Wed 05-Oct-11 13:45:55

thanks grin

Trills Wed 05-Oct-11 13:59:13

Congrats on your weight loss.

If you need some cheap stuff to tide you over while you are too small for your old clothes but still bigger than you intend to be then just buy the primark stuff and ignore the labels. It doesn't matter what number it says inside, it's still smaller than your old clothes.

DottyDot Wed 05-Oct-11 14:45:25

ah - but that would be way too sensible! I'd rather sulk and be miserable wink

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Wed 05-Oct-11 16:15:24

I think clothing lines that appeal to teenagers (Primark, Top Shop etc) don't do the vanity sizing thing because they don't have to as their clientel tend to be skinny waifs.

emsyj Wed 05-Oct-11 16:34:04

I think Matalan stuff runs reasonably true to size - I don't need to size up in there. Might be worth a look if there's one near you. I've got some nice cardis and leggings from there that have washed and worn well, also a dress that gets lots of compliments.

meltedchocolate Wed 05-Oct-11 16:37:21

I find I need a size 10 but would be an 8 in most other places (except MandS/ Next where everything is HUGE and I would wear a 6)

meltedchocolate Wed 05-Oct-11 16:39:21

Vanity sizing?!?!

If clothes START with designers whose sizes are small like Topshop etc then what is vanity is for other shops like M&S to make HUGE sizes to make you think you are smaller than you are surely?!

emsyj Wed 05-Oct-11 16:58:01

I don't find M&S huge at all - just normal. I buy a 14 in M&S, a 14 in Matalan and a 12 in Next - are M&S sizes really considered big? They don't seem that big to me, but all I buy in there is cheap tailored work dresses that go in the washing machine. Nothing else.

Trills Wed 05-Oct-11 17:02:40

I find that true to size is simply code for the clothes that fit me have a label with a number that I like. No particular truth in it at all.

PippiLongBottom Wed 05-Oct-11 17:07:16

Sandyballs, really? My skinny 9 year old still wears some aged 5 Primarni stuff, she can'teven wear the older girls stuff. (She isn't tall though, just skinny)

I have a size 10 skirt from Primark, some 12's, mostly 14's and a pair of size 16 shorts. Hit and miss I think but generally the same as Topshop.

meltedchocolate Wed 05-Oct-11 18:08:23

but normal to what emsyj? Designers dictate all clothes including sizes. So surely they have sizes right?! I agree with Trills. People like to think they are a certain number but I would say Topshop are 'true to size' as they are more like designer sizes.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Wed 05-Oct-11 18:29:14

meltedchocolate I think I understand your post about vanity sizing, and you're basically agreeing with me.

Vanity sizing means shops take a size 12 and label it a 10 so you feel good. Places like Top Shop, whose clientele are predominately teenagers don't need to do that because their customers are already on the skinny side. Their sizes are therefore probably truer.

I remember in the olden days a size 10 or 12 was aspirational. Now it's a 6 or 8 and yet the nation is supposedly fatter.

meltedchocolate Wed 05-Oct-11 18:36:23

Oh sorry MCDNS blush I didn't read your post properly. I just see the phrase 'vanity sizing' used the wrong way round on here all the time. As in Topshop make sizes smaller because they want us to think we are bigger than we should be. Seen it so often used like that. Anyways... blush

MrsBloomingTroll Wed 05-Oct-11 19:07:30

What about H&M sizing?

<hopeful after disastrous attempt at shopping there last week made me cry...disclaimer: am post-natal>

emsyj Wed 05-Oct-11 19:25:41

By 'true to size' I mean I can go in most shops and fit into that size. If I go into a shop (like Next) and don't fit my usual size, I say they're generous (as Next is IMO, and Planet even more so - can get in a 10 in there which is ridiculous).

I don't find TopShop any smaller than anywhere else. I can fit a Top Shop 14, I just don't buy much in there as I am intimidated by it and all the young girls who fill it! Their sizes are therefore (to me) 'true to size'.

Never shopped in H&M - my local one is like a jumble sale and it gives me a headache.

MrsBloomingTroll Wed 05-Oct-11 19:34:29

Couldn't get into H&M size 16 or 18 jeans. And yet, miraculously, am today wearing size 16 Wallis jeans and also bought some size 14 ones which fit just about from another store.

Pre-pregnancy I was in size 12-14 in most shops. No way I'm size 20 now. Right?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now