Talk

Advanced search

Mary Queen of Frocks - What did you think?

(36 Posts)
MilkChic Tue 04-Oct-11 22:32:34

Message deleted

wannabefree Tue 04-Oct-11 22:35:42

I didn't watch it properly (it was on but I was MNing)

I thought the main lady looked very stylish. I wish I could be like that at my youngish age, never mind at 50!

mycatsaysach Tue 04-Oct-11 22:37:40

q interesting - not esp a fan of hers
thought she looked good for 60 not 50 - ooops

Mammonite Tue 04-Oct-11 22:39:28

I thought this was very interesting. I liked the bit where they sent a "body" to show her a more typical 40-something shape.

I did look at her range and I wouldn't discount the tunic until I'd tried it on (suspect I'd still look like a potato sack) but there are some nice drapy shirts and curvy dresses. The prices are steep but I'd pay that for something decent flattering and wearable that doesn't look out of fashion in 2 years.

HouseOfBamboo Tue 04-Oct-11 22:42:32

V entertaining show. She is right, options for the over 40s are shite, so it's good to see this being addressed.

I like a lot of stuff in the collection - nice to see non frou-frou cuts, and I love the plain block colours. But - it's too pricey for me, and a lot of the stuff looks like it's cut for busty (rather than arsey) women, so again not for me, sadly.

My favourite thing is the concept of the no-brainer dress (now that should be tailor made for me, arf) - make one in an A-line shape though please Mary, for the large of arse.

MilkChic Tue 04-Oct-11 22:46:27

Message deleted

oldqueenie Tue 04-Oct-11 23:28:07

just ordered a purple tunic dress,,, fingers xed!

daenerysstormborn Wed 05-Oct-11 00:10:24

love mary, not convinced by her fashion choices though. the ladies who did the body casts were right, she picks clothing that looks good on tall, skinny people and forgets that for most middle aged women, it involves a certain amount of middle aged spread. prices are way too high for my budget. will watch the rest of the series with interest.

mycatsaysach Wed 05-Oct-11 00:12:15

she is making/designing clothes for herself surely?

i don't know anyone in rl with her shape or style at her age

TheFarSide Wed 05-Oct-11 00:35:32

I can forgive her a lot because she is the champion of good customer service and I love her idea of creating exciting clothes for older women, but her range on the TV show seemed quite limited and won't suit all body shapes. Hopefully there'll be more choice as time goes on. And it's prohibitively expensive - these can't be high street prices surely?

I do wish her well though.

KatieMiddleton Wed 05-Oct-11 00:45:21

Not decided on the collection yet but I think Spencer is one to watch.

I am also thinking Siobhan deserves a new hair cut. I felt very sorry for her when she didn't get the job after being splashed all over the screen. It felt a bit exploitative.

MilkChic Wed 05-Oct-11 07:25:17

Message deleted

daenerysstormborn Wed 05-Oct-11 09:32:05

unfortunately siobhan sealed her own fate with the fascinator. she should have picked up on mary's obvious hatred of them at the first interview, but she didn't and it was all she talked about in the second.

midnightexpress Wed 05-Oct-11 09:41:35

I only saw the end of the programme. I like the clothes (esp the white shirt adn the tunic dress. I'd like to try the leggings too), but agree they seem to be made for women of MP's shape and height - not me, sadly! I'd pay a fair amount for decent well-made clothes that will last more than a season or two.

Are they only available in the central London HoF store and online, or will other stores have them in too? I like to try stuff on - not mad about online clothes shopping.

wildfig Wed 05-Oct-11 09:45:04

I really like Mary Portas, but I felt a certain resistance creeping in as the show went on - it's all very well her hating fascinators, but Siobhan's been selling them for ages and she knows normal, non-Grazia-reading women like them, and then buy them, and she probably feels narked that someone with zero retail experience, a "fashion forward" haircut and enviably long legs is marching round her department sneering at the frumpiness of it all, while she's about to lose her job.

And I really liked her collection, in theory, but totally agree that Mary's 'seven easy pieces' are designed for herself, not the average fifty-something. I'm 37, and I don't know if I could get away with half the stuff in her collection - I don't do above the knee on account of having knees like a scrum-half. Also, no skinny trousers. The fitted dresses look good, though.

wildfig Wed 05-Oct-11 09:47:55

But I loved the rebellious models making body casts of themselves then sending them over. The aghast look on Mary's face suggested that maybe she didn't know about that beforehand...

eaglewings Wed 05-Oct-11 09:48:56

Was really hopeful that there would be some great clothes, but was disappointed by the range shown on TV

Glad it wasn't my body turned into a plastic model blush

midnightexpress Wed 05-Oct-11 09:51:03

I don't think MP has 'zero retail experience' - wasn't it her who turned Harvey Nicks round back in the day? confused I think her career certainly started in retail. r are you talking about someone else in the programme?

Anyway, I kind of agree with you, but I think she's maybe trying to cater for exactly that Grazia-reading crowd, isn't she?

mollymole Wed 05-Oct-11 09:52:52

felt that Siobhan was being exploited - although Mary did seem to try and help her, unfortunately it is ladies just like Siobhan that put me off shopping - it would be nice for Mary to do her a 'makeover into a Mary'

fresh Wed 05-Oct-11 09:54:58

I also loved the women making body casts, plus it looks as if one of those women rebels against the clothes in next week's show which should be interesting. I do like Mary, and I love the idea but the clothes just don't appeal to me because they don't look as if they're cut for the large of nork. The no brainer dress might be possible except for the above the elbow sleeves which are a no-no for me - creates a horizontal line at exactly my widest point! However, the shoes at Clarks are excellent and I've bought the turquoise suede platforms and the La Rosa black ankle boots which are gorgeous. Typical older woman's solution....go for the footwear in order to (probably unsuccessfully) distract from the saggy body....grin

polyhymnia Wed 05-Oct-11 10:06:54

Didn't see it - lost a lot of my respect for her when she partnered with Radley bags!

wildfig Wed 05-Oct-11 10:12:41

Sorry, I put that badly. Obviously MP has lots of experience in fashion PR and marketing, and high-end shopping, but - from the point of view of the shop floor staff who are being told that jobs are being cut at the same time as MP is being brought in as part of a huge investment - she hasn't run her own shop, or had to deal with customers who don't necessarily want boutique shopping, which is what she's creating - within a department store. I think (not enough coffee yet this morning) that's what I felt was slightly disingenuous: Siobhan was a classic efficient dept store manager who would put my mum into the exact Alexon outfit she wanted, whereas MP is creating a Matches-style boutique that my mum would just feel uncomfortable in.

animula Wed 05-Oct-11 10:55:38

The point is that there are already lots of places catering to those who want to wear fascinators, and those items of clothing that ride with them but not so many places for women who want something else - that elusive "I-don't-want-to-slip-into-frumpiness-but-I'm-not-a-teenager" gap that we hear about on mn quite a lot.

I thought the programme was interesting because it (for me anyway) gave an insight into how difficult the process of getting into that gap is. Which is why, presumably, the gap is there.

I rather like the idea of a mid-market boutique-style range and think it's a bit unfortunate she didn't manage to team up with M and S. I am the age aimed at and, frankly, I loathe fascinators and I would judge a sales assistant who tried to steer me towards a nice Alexon suit.

Reminds me of one of BiWi's adages though: "There may be a gap in the market, but is there a market in the gap?"

I wish Mary Portas all the best.

animula Wed 05-Oct-11 11:00:27

By the way, I thought that cast of the "real woman's body" was absolutely fascinating. MP's comment that she was going to require serious pattern cutting/designing skills, and the priciness of that, was quite interesting. Just made me think about how difficult getting it right for a mass market really is.

midnightexpress Wed 05-Oct-11 11:21:26

YY animula, absolutely. I too am in the target age range (I'm 45), and while Siobhan may well steer my mum into that Alexon suit, I don't want her steering me into it just yet, thanks very much. Fascinators really not a good look on the school run round these parts. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now