Talk

Advanced search

Tatty / anyone???- another hair dye question for you

(9 Posts)
vinegarpuss Tue 04-Oct-11 14:00:41

Sorry, I know I'm repeating a common thread but....
If I buy the 'very light iridescent golden brown' Majirel - do I also need to buy developer and if so how much? I'm in the 'white stripe' category too and the frequent home dying is a) nearly useless and b) damaging my hair and scalp

Thanks in advance

It's on amazon here
www.amazon.co.uk/LOreal-Majirel-Light-Iridecent-Golden/dp/B0012XAPJK/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1317731912&sr=8-14

TattyDevine Tue 04-Oct-11 14:17:20

Yes, you will need 20 volume (6%) developer (peroxide) to mix that with. You will probably also need or should use a "base" colour, something neutral like 6.0 Dark Blonde, or 7.0 Blonde, depending how fair you want the result to be, and you can mix the 2 colours in a 3/4 to 1/4 ratio.

So if you used 3 teaspoons of 9.23 and 1 teaspoon of 7.0, you would need to mix it with 6 teaspoons of 20 Volume Peroxide (6% peroxide). This would yield 50ml in all. So if you were doing a whole head, you would double all those amounts to make 100ml. Generally speaking that would do - a box dye from the chemist is usually around 120ml - but if you had long thick hair and were doing the whole lot, you might treble it to make 150ml which ought to cover most heads of hair. Remember, you can always mix up more dye as you go like the hairdressers do.

20 volume peroxide is what you need to "open up" grey hair, so you should get perfect grey coverage from that. Do a strand test.

vinegarpuss Tue 04-Oct-11 14:22:01

Tatty, thank you - i'm buying it all now!!

TattyDevine Tue 04-Oct-11 14:30:03

Bit more info for you, Here are all the "base" shades.

For mixing, you can use 7 Blonde as opposed to 7.0 Deep blonde. If you consider yourself more of a brunette and your target shade is more brownish, you can go for number 6 Dark blonde. Apparently for mixing with other colours you are best going with a base shade that isn't the "deep" version, they use the "deep" versions for grey haired people who want that shade only whereas the non deep shades are for mixing.

Mix the two colours together before adding the developer.

If you are wobbling a bit (its daunting moving over to professional dye) try going to a Sallys Salon Services - even if your nearest one is trade only, you can go in there and suck up to the lady behind the counter who will be a hairdresser, and ask her if she thinks the base shade and colour shade you have chosen is right and will work with your hair. They also have the swatch books so you can look at the hair swatches. Even if they can't sell it to you if they are trade only they will help you with deciding on a colour, then you can order online.

TattyDevine Tue 04-Oct-11 14:31:46

Having said that, I mix my colour (6.45 Dark Copper Mahogany Blonde) with a 6.0 and it turns out fine! I think the "deep" colours have the full colour hues that are lost with grey hair and therefore wont look silly if you use them on their own with grey hair, kind of thing, and it gives your impact colour something to blend with and look more natural.

TattyDevine Tue 04-Oct-11 14:32:51

More useful info

TattyDevine Tue 04-Oct-11 14:33:22

Epic link fail there sorry hold on...

TattyDevine Tue 04-Oct-11 14:39:27

Okay, put "Loreal Colour Numbering System" into google.co.uk and you will get a very handy powerpoint presentation as the first result that explains base colours, secondary tones, etc etc and depth in great detail!

vinegarpuss Wed 05-Oct-11 15:07:20

Tatty, just to say - you are great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now