Talk

Advanced search

Would You?

(38 Posts)
villydilly Tue 04-Oct-11 12:55:02

I have just seen a gorgeous handbag, I really love it, it's genuine leather, camel colour. But the only problem is that it is a copy of a famous brand chloe, I mean exactly the same, only difference is it's £110.
Should I go for it? I don't want people thinking im carrying a chloe handbag only to find it's a copy, would you buy a copy? Dilemma, help.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:03:09

I have a friend who bought a fake Rolex for a 5 dollars about 20 years ago in Bangkok. It still works.

It depends if you just like the bag or if you are bothered by brand-names.

Personally I wouldn't know if your bag was a genuine from Harrods or cost a £5 from Primark.

Are you going to carry a little doggie in it? grin

villydilly Tue 04-Oct-11 13:16:09

Hi. No it's not a fake, it's just a handbag which is non brand, with no name or anything on it. I suppose whoever made it has just copied chloes design thats all. And no im not bothered about designer names. The thing is there are alot of bag manufacturers that copy designer labels designs but don't sell it as a fake.

yummybunny Tue 04-Oct-11 13:24:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nancythursday Tue 04-Oct-11 13:25:08

I wouldn't buy a fake bag. But if it's just in the style of a chloe bag, with no labels, then buy it if you like it.

squareheadcut Tue 04-Oct-11 13:29:05

i wouldn't buy a fake bag for 110 quid save for the real thing if ur going to spend that much , i would love the designer bag more too

yummybunny Tue 04-Oct-11 13:37:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

villydilly Tue 04-Oct-11 13:40:35

Thats the thing it is NOT fake, its not claiming to be a fake chloe bag, its just a copy of the chloe bag with no label on it, so obviously some manufacturer had copied the design and left it as non brand. But my question is would YOU buy a handbag that is not a fake but a copy of a designer bag?

nancythursday Tue 04-Oct-11 13:44:42

Most of the bags that are in high street shops, are 'inspired' by the designers.
Same goes for clothes.
If it's a nice leather bag, then it's a nice leather bag and it's not a fake, so there's no issue.

villydilly Tue 04-Oct-11 13:50:43

True nancythursday

Jessicaalbastwin Tue 04-Oct-11 14:10:59

I have bought leather handbags in the past that are not fake, but are inspired buy designer brands. To be honest if the bag looked like a marcie or paraty chloe, then I would buy it, because I love those two designs, and for that kind of price aswell, I mean I cant afford a chloe marcie but I could afford a copy if it was in my price range. So go for it, if you love it.

villydilly Tue 04-Oct-11 14:53:37

Come on bag lovers gregsausageroll and madammecholet whats your take on this, would you two experts buy a designer inspired handbag? I will post the link of the bag, when I fathome how to do it.

madammecholet Tue 04-Oct-11 15:50:53

villydilly I would. Every bag out there is designed or inspired by something else, or has a nod to something else... I would avoid the cheaper end of the market copies though, ie an Alexa rip off from Debenhams is only ever going to look like a cheap immitation of a highly reknown recognisable bag.

Which Chloe is it a copy of? Marcie?? ...if you cannot link just cut and paste the web address and I will link for you... For £110 im interested in seeing it!

Bunbaker Tue 04-Oct-11 16:05:29

If you like the bag buy it. I suspect that most people (like me) are completely brand/designer unaware and couldn't care less whether your bag is designer, fake designer or a copy. I agree with nancythursday
I have never heard of Chloe bags BTW.

madammecholet Tue 04-Oct-11 16:33:58

You're missing a visual treat bunbaker chloe, but i'd never pay the £££... I LOVE the marcie style and would certainly buy something which was reminicent of this design...

villydilly Tue 04-Oct-11 16:35:37

Hi madamcholet, yes its the chloe marcie bag, I will put it up later, just seeing to my LO at the mo.

madammecholet Tue 04-Oct-11 16:39:12

OMG, how spooky villydilly pleeeease post later on.... grin

Bunbaker Tue 04-Oct-11 16:43:41

I have just clicked on that link and my laptop didn't like it. A scan has found a threat.

madammecholet Tue 04-Oct-11 16:46:00

grin grin grin ....to your wallet!

NhameCage Tue 04-Oct-11 16:48:23

I wouldn't buy an exact copy of a design without the markings. I'm just not into that idea and I think people who know will recognise that you've got a fake bag in an instant whether it has markings or not - especially if it's a famous design. A few years back I really loved a Chloe bag but didn't have the money, I got a leather bag in Hobbs that I had spotted and waited for the sale, it had some similar features to the Chloe one without being a copy. It is fab quality leather and still going strong despite heavy use.

dalek Tue 04-Oct-11 20:42:56

As others have said most bags are inspired by something. The Peony & Moore Lucia looks very like the Mulberry Annie to me and the peony and moore Milly looks quite like the chloe marcie. If you like it and it's not a fake I would go for it.

xx

Popbiscuit Tue 04-Oct-11 21:58:19

Tricky...if the details are EXACTLY the same you're going to have handbag aficionados asking you all about your bag (embarrassing). If it's design is simply inspired by the Chloe bag (but not an exact copy) and it's good quality leather and workmanship, then go for it.
IMO most designer bags are WAY overpriced; you are paying for the label. It is perfectly possible to get a bag with similar quality/leather/workmanship for a few hundred pounds.

madammecholet Tue 04-Oct-11 22:06:51

villydilly where are yoooooooooooou...............? linky please. smile

saoirse86 Tue 04-Oct-11 22:13:52

I'm really intrigued by this bag now, please come back and link and be prepared for it to go out of stock before you've decided whether to buy it. grin

I'd say the one deciding factor is whether you know people who have or know well the marcie, and if you do whether you care about them knowing you've bought a cheaper "inspired by" version. I personally don't mix in circles really where anyone would notice whether someone's bag cost £50 or £850 so I would defo buy it. I do have a friend who bought a bayswater and purse to go with it for over £1000 but I didn't notice until she showed me. blush

saoirse86 Tue 04-Oct-11 22:17:20

This is the kind that's going to look terrible to anyone in the know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now