Talk

Advanced search

im quite (very) fat - can you dress me for a wedding please?

(17 Posts)
mymuchness Mon 03-Oct-11 19:14:39

Size 20 - big belly. Naff legs. Basically the best part of me are breasts (though their hugeness can be cartoonish) and head. Dresses look bizarre on me. Can anyone help?

WaitingForMe Mon 03-Oct-11 19:18:21

Have you considered booking a personal shopper? Places like Debenhams usually don't charge and a fresh look at your good and bad bits (plus advice on the underwear) can be invaluable.

Oh and I'm sure you don't look nearly as bad as you think.

Jessicaalbastwin Mon 03-Oct-11 19:25:38

Hi have you tried www.yoursclothing.co.uk they do large sizes, and they have nice dresses which are reasonably priced, also www.simplybe.co.uk, failing that try www.curvety.com, good luck. And im sure your gorgeous.

mymuchness Mon 03-Oct-11 19:26:46

I haven't considered that. I think I would be a bit embarassed by it. Plus I live in the sticks so ideally want to buy on-line.
Thanks for your morale boosting comment - actually I think I look OK and then see the pics and look ahem quite ...different - is there such a thing as body eumorphia..?!?

tethersend Mon 03-Oct-11 20:01:30

How about this or this?

Mum1369 Mon 03-Oct-11 20:14:53

((http://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/product/details/show.action?pdLpUid=VX345&pdBoUid=4882&lpgUid=11296537#colour:DUSKY%20PINK,size: this is nice))

WholeLottaRosie Mon 03-Oct-11 20:24:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mum1369 Mon 03-Oct-11 20:29:10

Oooh that didn't work?? It's in the wedding looks on simply be...7th one in ? Can someone help me out and post it? Have a tech nightmare evening.....

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 03-Oct-11 20:33:50

Had to laugh at the body eumorphia comment! :-) I'm sorry I can;t be of any help - you sound EXACTLY like me, body wise so I would be interested in what people suggest for you! I have given up on dresses - I look like a barrel. If it;s any help I went to a wedding in August and wore a Debenhams twinset thing - floral vest top with black bolero thing, and white linen trousers and heels. I didn't look too horiffic. Did get hair properly done though which was a confidence booster.

Hope you find something nice! x

anon2011 Tue 04-Oct-11 11:54:21

If you don't mind a dress then an ampire line cut might be flattering. It would emphasise your nice cleavage then flare over a jelly belly. If you can tolerate a mid calf style you could always wear it with black tights and heels to elongate your legs. If not there are some maxi empire line styles around. This normally works for me with my apple shape.

anon2011 Tue 04-Oct-11 11:55:38

I always think dresses are far more flattering thatn seperates for people with belly issues. Dramatic eye makeup helps to shift theemphasis to your upper body and face.

voscar Tue 04-Oct-11 12:07:07

Can I add that good underwear is a must. A proper big pair of control pants, a well fitted bra and body shaper tights are a must. Even though I'm a size ten I wouldn't be seen dead in a going out outfit without these! Makes a big difference - especially in photos.

slug Tue 04-Oct-11 12:20:08

For a cheap alternative, try this It looks surprisingly good on an apple shaped size 20

steamedtreaclesponge Tue 04-Oct-11 12:38:36

Have you tried Vivien of Holloway? I was in the shop a couple of weeks ago and there was a size 22 lady trying on one of their full-skirted dresses for a wedding, she looked fabulous.

AlwaysbeOpralFruitstome Tue 04-Oct-11 12:38:53

Debenhams are really helpful. I'm a similar size and have a wedding to go to in December and have just ordered this dress (which isn't super glam as it's a fairly low key do, you might want something a little more dressy, but there's plenty of dresses on there in larger sizes). They didn't have my size on line but I phoned the helpline and they've ordered it from a store for me.

I second the underwear thing. I'm looking at a tummy control Cami to wear underneath as we speak and will be dusting off my spanks. I'm sure you'll look lovely.

Nermalkins Tue 04-Oct-11 12:55:54

I would second both the collectif and Vivien of Holloway, I'm very busty and I'm size 20 on top, I own several Vivien of Holloway dresses. I'm alway being complimented when I wear one of their beautiful dresses.

mymuchness Tue 04-Oct-11 17:16:02

Ooh loads of food for thought - wholelottarosie - no aboslutely does not have to be a dress - in fact ideally not a dress - I'm not tall enough and just look like a walking grape.
Just on my phone right now but will have a good look later at the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now