Talk

Advanced search

Help me write a packing list for a 2 week med sailing hol in October

(11 Posts)
ilovetoski Mon 03-Oct-11 14:07:52

Hi,

Im off to Greece for a 2 week holiday in October, 4 days of it is spent sailing on a yacht and the rest is hotel based , it tends to be quite Boden/Musto/White stuff type dressy on an evening ( sort of smart casual )

Packing totally stresses me out though and I never seem to have the right clothes/shoes/jewellry combinations, plus it may be chilly on an evening.

Does anyone have a packing list or ideas that they could share to make this awful chore easier !

Thanks

SheWhoMustNotBeFlamed Mon 03-Oct-11 14:32:36

I swear by maxi dresses for hot holiday evenings. I am aware they're not everybody's cup of tea, but they remove much of the need for mixing and matching and co-ordinating, though a neutral cardi might be essential in October.

AnnetteProfit Mon 03-Oct-11 14:33:14

oh ffs just put some shoes an clothes in a bag

here is a list

kecks

sweater
t shirt
shorts
trews

ilovetoski Mon 03-Oct-11 14:58:20

Annette I just wish I could be that laid back ! I actually get palpitations about packing, its the thought of trying to survive for 2 weeks with a little suitcase of clothes and needing to cover every eventuality and weather !

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 03-Oct-11 15:09:58

If you're anything like me, it's also the thought of being on a boat with limited storage space but no washing facilities so you have to take loads of stuff or risk wearing stained clothes.
Is it Sunsail or Neilson you're going with?

Ime you'll eat out every evening so will need a few reasonably eveningy tops/dresses but nothing too dressy. You'll probably find some women will go all-out with the glamour (assuming you're on flotilla), others frumps and most somewhere in the middle.

You decide which you want to be and pack accordingly!

I find a couple of cropped, wrap cardis useful, but you might be a wolef fleece type - someone in the group is bound to be!

Flat trendy/pretty sandals, bearing in mind climbing on and off the boat, but, again, you might prefer Sketchers if that's what floats your boat (see what I did there?)

For day, you'l mostly be at sea or moored up swimming, so enough shorts/t-shirts/cossies - and a cover-up thing for when you're mooring up and have to face the cute skipper public on the quay.

And ignore the holiday companies' advice re no skirts; you'll be so sick of shorts and trousers.

AbsDuWolef Mon 03-Oct-11 15:30:30

2 weeks sailing in Oct in Greece? Pack me grin

<very unhelpful post>

ellangirl Mon 03-Oct-11 18:15:22

For the actual sailing bit, if you're going to be getting involved, take things you don't care about too much, and I would recommend shorts unless you want to flash everybody! The last time I did this sort of holiday I sailed in tankini top and shorts. Shoes with a closed toe and good grip for the boat.
When in the hotel, (which is the majority of your time anyway), you can wash stuff and it'll be dry the same day- there's bound to be clothes racks to hang things outside the rooms in my experience so I just use travel wash!
Re combining things- think capsule wardrobe. Don't take anything that only goes with one other thing i.e. a pair of shoes that only goes with one dress is a waste of packing space.

KristinaM Mon 03-Oct-11 19:02:17

I have been in turkey in septembet and greece in october and it was cold.

KristinaM Mon 03-Oct-11 19:08:40

Sorry i hit post too soon

Last september i was near bodrum and it was too cold to do wimdsurfing without a wetsuit. The sailors were wearing windproof jackets and sailimg gloves and complaining about the cold. I have also been in mainland greece in october and it was too cold to swim in the pool. Oly the kids braved the sea, as it was a few degrees warmer

Have you checked the forecast for the area you are going to?

ilovetoski Mon 03-Oct-11 23:03:23

Thanks for all the replys. We are expecting some chillly evenings, we have been to either Greece or Turkey in October for the last 4 or 5 years and have had mixed weather, some days its been scorching and some days stormy and cool, hence the need to pack for all weathers !! I think they are due a big storm fairly soon too so need to dig out a waterproof jacket....

soda1234 Tue 04-Oct-11 08:24:09

Quick tip, don't take a suitcase, use a soft bag. There's nowhere to stow a case on a yacht!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now