Talk

Advanced search

What to wear on a long haul flight to Oz

(21 Posts)
smaug77 Mon 03-Oct-11 13:44:17

Flying business with a toddler & a 5 month old. Any suggestions

Abra1d Mon 03-Oct-11 13:45:46

I wore a pair of black jersey trousers: smart but stretchy and cosy. I had a pashmina to drape over me when it was 'night' and I wanted to sleep. Also slipper socks are useful.

schobe Mon 03-Oct-11 13:46:30

Something sick coloured?

JohnniesBitch Mon 03-Oct-11 13:51:44

something comfortable. layers as well so easy to add to, take off. a change of top in case children are ill.
To oz i wear yoga style trousers, so confy but not too loose/scruffy looking, vest top with a short sleeve close fitting t-shirt, and a jersey cardigan. not exactly killing it in the style stakes but didnt crease to pieces. I also had spare underwear and feminine wipes in my hand luggage as wanted to change closer to landing.
Lots of moisturiser as well.

PastGrace Mon 03-Oct-11 14:00:35

Yoga trousers, black cashmere jumper, pashmina or similarly sized scarf. I wear jeans and a vest top under jumper through airport, and pack a summer dress or something small to change into at the other end. That way you've got spare clothes in case of emergencies.

I take bedsocks and a pair of disposable hotel slippers for trips to the loo.

HazleNutt Mon 03-Oct-11 14:04:21

you'll get bed socks in business class.
I don't like to walk around the airport in sports clothes, so I take yoga pants and a comfy top with me and change on board. Layers, as everybody else recommended, the temperature is always either roasting or freezing.

smaug77 Mon 03-Oct-11 14:04:37

Thanks guys! Any suggestions where i can get yoga pants from?

PastGrace Mon 03-Oct-11 14:19:44

I just posted on another thread about this - you might get some ideas there grin. I favour Princesse Tam Tam.

Hazle - you do, but I don't like them. Ditto the blankets, so I normally use my pashmina.

brighthair Mon 03-Oct-11 14:19:46

Sweaty Betty but are a bit £
Asda and tesco do some nice ones

TattyDevine Mon 03-Oct-11 14:26:03

Second the jersey style trouser. If black and the right kind of drape then they can look quite "formal" but they don't feel it. Layers, defo, because it might be cold on the way to Heathrow, boiling in Heathrow, cold on board once you've been up in the air a while (I find the temperature drops as the flight goes on), boiling at Singapore or whever you are stopping, plus airports are always overheated, and to be fair it shouldn't be mega hot at this time of year on landing unless you are in QLD or WA. Particularly first thing in the morning if you are coming in on a morning flight.

So layers, but not so many that you have problems carrying them - you might find you are not wearing them more than you are wearing them, if that makes sense.

hazchem Mon 03-Oct-11 15:46:59

Where is your stop?
take a change of clothes and grab a shower is you can. honestly the best thing I've ever done is grab ten minutes in the shower at changi. took clothes to change into so could get out of the baby sick shirt.

i favour yoga style pants and either a jersey dress or a tunic style shirt.

brookeslay Mon 03-Oct-11 18:19:26

this would swap jeans for leggings on board I ordered some great ones from wrap.

Uniglo do soft jumpers or John Lewis cashmere cardigan or Brora is your feeling flush.

Or navy jersey dress. Take navy leggings or jog pants add a scarf here wear either slip ons ballet flats or Merrell slip ons.

echt Tue 04-Oct-11 07:05:24

Sunglasses to hide the bags.

The minute you take off your shoes on the plane, they'll inflate. Think hard about the shoes you wear.
Long haul flights are the only occasions I've ever worn Uggs outside the house.
They are not as shite as trainers. IMHO.

echt Tue 04-Oct-11 07:05:59

I mean your feet will inflate, not the shoes.

HazleNutt Tue 04-Oct-11 10:53:42

I highly recommend flight socks, www.flightsock.com or available at the airport, they reduce the swelling considerably.

HazleNutt Tue 04-Oct-11 20:47:41

oh and remembered as I'm just packing for a long-houl flight myself - I always wear a sports bra. Not one of those high-impact ones where you can barely breathe, but a comfy one. Much easier to sleep if you don't have wires poking you.

MABS Wed 05-Oct-11 13:21:16

so agree the non wired bra Hazle! I doing Oz in business class in couple weeks. As everyone else has said, lots of layers, loads of moisturiser and i always travel with a an evian spray and put moisturiser over top. I usually pack a spare pair of pants to change into in Singapore or similar.

slhilly Wed 05-Oct-11 13:27:16

If you're flying Virgin, they give you black PJs to wear in their business class. They're quite nice PJs, too.

CMOTdibbler Wed 05-Oct-11 13:40:17

I can't be bothered with looking smart as no one cares. Longhaul, I wear a M&S vest which has built in soft cups (vv comfy and nothing digs in), leggings, a light jersey tunic, a maxi cardi and fitflops. This is also the only time a pantyliner is necessary imo.

Recently, planes seem to be v v hot - I came back last night from Miami, and had no cardi on and was still boiling

MilliONaire Wed 05-Oct-11 14:16:51

After some trial & error I have settled (for me) the winning combination of soft tunic style dresses, layered with long sleeved tshirt with long cardigans and leggings & huge scarf which can double as a blanket / wrap if feeling a little chilly. I wore ballet flats going over and had birkenstock flip flops in my handluggage so wasn't too hot when we arrived, as I was also able to shed the layer of long sleeved tshirt & cardi. It was comfortable and stylish(ish) for such long hours of travel & I had the same level of comfort as being in yoga pants/trackies but without feeling so slumpy. I bought my tunics/leggings in noa noa & monsoon so they were nice soft cotton, not synthetic. Good luck with the travel.

DorisVinyard Wed 05-Oct-11 15:28:24

Crop Top These are brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now