Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me with my post baby image overhaul please?

(7 Posts)
inatrance Sat 01-Oct-11 22:41:54

Hi I really could do with some help and advice on how to make myself over as I've recently had a baby (5mo DS) and seem to live in jeans or leggings with no make up and its getting me down. Now I'm finally starting to shift a bit of the baby weight I've realised I'm sick of looking crap and need to get my act together but I really don't know where to start. The Bare Escentials thread has inspired me and I've ordered some to give me a boost but now I'm stuck. I love make up but on the rare occasions I do wear it I'm sort of stuck in a browns time warp. I have brown eyes and naturally dark brown hair which is currently a burgundy reddy colour.

My hair is naturally curly/wavy but is currently in a sort of bob about an inch above my shoulders with a bit of a side fringe. It only looks good if I get the chance to straighten it (so it tends to look crazy and kinks out most of the time) and I am considering a fuller fringe, mainly as I have quite frightening forehead wrinkles and can't afford botox.. What should I do with it? It did used to be gorgeous and curly but it lost its curl and I have no idea why. (unless my straighteners killed it I don't know)

Clothes wise, I don't have many that I feel good in, sadly. I have a couple of pairs of nice skinny jeans (from my mum) and one nice pair of flat boots but I could do with advice on what basics to get. I can only afford to spend about £100 - 150 so need reasonably priced things but I have absolutely no idea what to get.

Any advice appreciated thanks!

inatrance Sun 02-Oct-11 12:05:07

Bump

moonstorm Sun 02-Oct-11 13:36:27

I'm in the process of doing this. I wouldn't do anything with your hair until you know no more is going to come out (speaking of post baby hair loss - 4 months was the peak for me). A fringe sounds good - you could always grow it out if you weren't keen.

This is what i've done:

Hair cut
Eyebrows waxed/ tidied
Nails clipped nicely.

All these grow back, but it was the start of starting to look after me better.

Clothes-wise, I bought:

Cheap DP jeans, so I didn't worry about having to buy new when losing weight.
Some nice t-shirt tops
Nice jumper
Jersey blazer (this was THE best buy it it so comfortable and looks so smart)

I started exercising properly, which really helped.

I vowed ALWAYS to put some make-up on, if only mascara and comcealer.

I threw out anything unflattering and unfitting - even if it left me with very little - I just wash more often!

Good quailty well-fitted bras REALLY help, I have discovered in last couple of weeks!!!

Good luck smile

Tiredprobably Mon 03-Oct-11 14:48:44

I'm doing this too! I put a post on here and came up with long jersey/ jumper dresses and leggings which I've get a couple of now. I still seem to be the wrong shape for jeans even though pre baby I lived in them! I also had my eyelashes dyed which makes me look a bit better, still need a haircut though as am growing out a fringe- had it put in when ds was 5 months so beware!

Gillybobs Mon 03-Oct-11 15:01:58

Wear some colour! Honestly, it makes all the difference.

I find smarter blouse type tops also make a world of difference, just as comfy as a t shirt but so much more "together". And always a nice scarf or necklace, pick something neutral that will go with most of your tops. Dorothy perkins have loads of great tops and jewellery in just now, highly recommend.here

With your budget Id buy 3 tops, a cardi and some accessories, you already have good jeans dont you? You could easily bring that in under £100. With the extra Id look for a nice warm jacket that is fairly smart, a nice jacket is so important I think

And yes, always wear a tiny bit of makeup, quick dust of base/powder, mascara and lipgloss takes about 60 seconds to put on, I really dont understand folk who say they dont have time.

HTH

JennyPiccolo Mon 03-Oct-11 20:40:02

get a nice moisturiser so even days where you dont go out you can still fire that on and be making your skin nicer.

TimeForCake Tue 04-Oct-11 13:22:08

I had a bit of a panic a couple of months ago about my post baby image! Loads of great advice was given

here Really helped me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now