Talk

Advanced search

What do you eat before & after the gym?

(12 Posts)
smilesandsun Sat 01-Oct-11 07:37:39

Hi,

I'm on a mission to get fit for christmas, i know thats not long away. So I've started going to the gym and doing spin classes and some very light weights. My aim is to tone and just loose the pot belly if possible!

So what do you eat to maximise the impact of your workout? I've been more hungry since starting the exercise! I've been eating muesli about an 2 hours before the gym and then after the gym been having a boiled egg and toast and salad...

Should I be doing something different?

Thanks

dairymoo Sat 01-Oct-11 09:18:47

I think it depends on what you are eating for the rest of the day....is the Muesli your breakfast and the egg/salad/toast your lunch? If it's not I'd be careful about seeing the exercise as a license to eat more, IYKWIM?

When I exercise in the morning I do try and make sure I have a chance to eat something (and drink a coffee!) an hour or so beforehand....something like a bowl of cereal or banana. If I'm feeling peckinsh afterwards - which I have to say is rare - I'd be more likely to have a big glass of water and a piece of fruit or a small handful of nuts.

However, if I'm exercising mid-afternoon I do find that I need a pick me up about half an hour beforehand otherwise I feel too hungry. Again, something like an apple and some peanut butter or a small piece of cheese and a piece of fruit, along with a big glass of water usually tides me over until supper time.

Are you sure that you're not just more thirsty as that often manifests itself as a feeling of hunger? Might be worth grabbing a big glass of water in the first instance and see if that helps?

iloveeverton Sat 01-Oct-11 09:49:00

Try www.myfitnesspal.com really good for advice.

I have a banana about half an hour before exercise and a glass of milk after.

iloveeverton Sat 01-Oct-11 09:49:59

www.myfitnesspal.com

dexter73 Sat 01-Oct-11 10:09:38

I go to the gym first thing so don't have anything to eat and then have my breakfast (toast or cereal) when I get back.

smilesandsun Sun 02-Oct-11 09:25:58

Hi,

Thanks all.
Yes what I described that I eat is breakfast and then afterwards lunch, not all together I don't think i could fit that much in smile

i'll have a look at the myfitnesspal.com, thank you for suggesting it.

I have to eat before hand there is no way I could make it through the workout on nothing at all.

I guess its a fine line that I want to work to as i don't really want to loose or gain weight, just want to maximise getting tone from my workouts.

thanks for the comments.

scootergal Sun 02-Oct-11 09:56:38

hi there i find I cant eat too much before exercise as get stitch / cramps! (running or swimming)
I usually have something like a (ripe) banana or some dried fruit and a drink, or a boiled/poached egg and slice toast
I find anything dairy or too heavy sits in my tummy.
Afterwards depending on time of day I try to have protein and some carbs - nuts and yogurt/ bagel a low fat cream cheese, bean salad/ wray with meat and salad or porridge in winter or my dinner etc

TracyK Sun 02-Oct-11 11:11:52

I only have an omlette or danish brown bread toasted - at least 2 hours before work out - otherwise I'd chuck it back up!
I've just bought some lean burn protein shake stuff - which is like chocolate milkshake - I'm waiting for a reply to my email to them - I think I'm sposed to take the shake after a workout - which maximises your calorie burning and muscle recovery - giving you a much leaner look to your muscles?? (I think).
You are sposed to carbs within an hour of a good workout - to replenish your muscles and also some good protein. So I tend to have a prawn or salmon sarnie.
I hate bananas though- yuk. But I do find that the day after a good workout - I am STARVING!

brighthair Sun 02-Oct-11 11:15:11

I usually go in the evening so I won't have eaten since lunch. I have a protein shake before i go and then just have my usual tea a bit after I get back

mumtoted Sun 02-Oct-11 19:16:48

I think that the theory is more fat is burned on an empty stomach.

dexter73 Sun 02-Oct-11 19:23:56

I read an article today that said it is best to do cardio first thing in the morning as it increases your metabolic rate for the day, so will burn more calories throughout the day. Depends if that fits in with your life though!

pocketfullofposies Sun 02-Oct-11 19:52:51

I go to the gym at about 6:45 so don't have breakfast til I get back. I used to have a handful of fruit and nuts first but then I read a study which suggested it's better to fast before exercise if you can as they found a link between that and better weight loss.

Trying to find the study now, no idea if it's true but I like exercising on an empty stomach myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now