Talk

Advanced search

Why do you have to give your address when you return things?

(12 Posts)
berri Fri 30-Sep-11 16:08:34

Just wondering... I've noticed you don't have to do this in other countries. What do the shops do with the info?

wandawings Fri 30-Sep-11 16:55:14

It's to ensure that there isn't fraudulent returns happening. Mind you, would you give your real address if you were being sly?? I think it also makes sure that the shop assistant is doing returns he/she shouldn't.

warmandwooly Fri 30-Sep-11 17:09:11

Thats what I have always understood to be the reason wandawings.

moonferret Fri 30-Sep-11 17:11:17

That annoys me as well, especially when it's due to their mistake, such as being overcharged for example, or a faulty item. I always give a false name/postcode/signature...whatever. They don't ask your name and address when taking your money, they shouldn't when giving it back.

berri Fri 30-Sep-11 17:15:50

How would giving your address ensure it wasn't a fraudulent return though?

Surely they either accept the item back or they don't, it's not as if they check it over after you've given your address?

I don't get it, unless they enter the address somewhere to check that someone isn't returning hundreds of items? But even if they were, so what - you're allowed to return something if you have the receipt and it's unworn etc.

Don't understand!! It's always bugged me smile

bethyrose Fri 30-Sep-11 20:25:18

This REALLY annoys me too. I've started to politely refuse to give my address. Most shops seem ok with this, but others e.g. Oasis said that they couldn't process the return transaction until my address had been entered in to the computer.
I asked why my address was needed and the shop assistant muttered something about being able to contact you if something went wrong with the transaction (WTF??) and also so the company could keep an eye on 'dodgy' customers. She reassured me that my address wouldn't be shared with any 3rd parties blah blah, but that's not the point. It's none of their business where I live.
Rant over!

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 30-Sep-11 20:30:12

When I worked in retail it was to ensure that staff weren't doing fraudulent returns, ie pretending to return things to stock and pocketing the money. The auditors would take the returns details and get in touch with a randomn one or two to check. So theoretically if the customer had given a fake address teh assistant could be accused of doing it fraudulently.

pissedrightoff Fri 30-Sep-11 20:59:41

Jemima has it spot on, A girl I worked with was doing this with leather jackets at £300-£400 a pop.

bethyrose Sat 01-Oct-11 18:05:12

AIBU to think that it's not right that I should have to disclose my personal details so the company can bust their own staff??

Bunbaker Sat 01-Oct-11 18:12:52

I meant to watch today's. One of the houses is on sale in the Barnsley Chronicle this week.

Bunbaker Sat 01-Oct-11 21:58:50

Oops! I've posted on the wrong thread blush

TheFarSide Sat 01-Oct-11 22:08:15

I refused to do this in Clarks when I was returning a faulty handbag. I had been queueing for ages and writing my address on a form was the final straw. I made a big fuss, the manager was called, etc, etc, but I didn't have to do it and I got my refund.

Anyway, I thought requesting and keeping personal information about customers was only allowed if the shop adheres to the Data Protection Act - and they must be on dodgy grounds if they are trying to force you to give them your address by threatening not to refund faulty goods.

Agree with bethyrose - they need to find a better way to combat fraud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now