Talk

Advanced search

Would it be inappropriate to wear this to a wedding?

(25 Posts)

this

DP's brother is getting married in early Nov. I am not one for getting very dressed up (feel quite awkward in dressy / girlie clothing) and almost never wear a colour that isn't black / grey / navy. It isn't going to be a particularly formal wedding, so there is no need for a full length / formal dress.

I'm thinking - I'd wear it with 120 denier tights, so there will be very little flesh on display (no bare legs), I have a gorgeous cape that I can wear over it for the church (so no bare back in church), and as it will be November, dark colours will be acceptable.

DP reckons it will be fine, as does my Mother - but she is as disinclined towards dressy / formal clothing as I am (and has recently worn a body-con dress to a wedding), so perhaps not an entirely impartial opinion. Am looking for some honest opinions, I think it is fab, but admittedly, I don't really go to very many weddings, so want to be sure it's appropriate (also, if I buy a very dressy dress, will quite possibly never wear it again, whereas I will definitely wear this one again). Really, really can't wear something too formal, as I'd look and feel ridiculous, but also don't want to look under-dressed. Help, please!!!

MercyDulbottle Thu 29-Sep-11 23:09:50

Uuummm... It really isn't very weddingy I'm afraid.

Unless very unconventional couple / wedding.

peasandlove Thu 29-Sep-11 23:10:15

I'm no expert, I dont go to many weddings, but my opinion is no. Sorry.
Or maybe I just think that as I dont like the dress at all. Anyway, I'll bump for the fashionistas smile

Helltotheno Thu 29-Sep-11 23:10:57

Imo your body would want to be absolutely bangin' to wear this dress.
If it is, you have my blessing, otherwise re-consider.

Re the colour, I think it's fine to wear black to a wedding and I've never been to a wedding where there weren't a few people in black.

tethersend Thu 29-Sep-11 23:12:32

No. No way is that suitable, sorry. It's the cut out bits. Just no.

I like the velvet though, and a cape sounds nice.

How about this or this instead?

No I don't think you can wear it. Sorry.

peasandlove Thu 29-Sep-11 23:15:21

this?

Casmama Thu 29-Sep-11 23:16:28

Ooh love the green wallis one tethers linked to. I'm afraid I think your original one somehow manages to look a little cheap and nasty and yet frumpy at the same time. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I think you could get better that is still not too formal so you would get more wear out of it.

cat64 Thu 29-Sep-11 23:21:37

Message withdrawn

MamaMimi Thu 29-Sep-11 23:23:03

I don't think that the cut outs would be appropriate for a wedding. If you like it why not get it for nights out, but I would think again for the wedding if I were you.

peasandlove Thu 29-Sep-11 23:24:07

did you see it comes with maribou trim sleeves shudder

irregularegular Thu 29-Sep-11 23:24:35

Ummm, I'm afraid I agree that the cut-outs make it unsuitable for most weddings.

There are other black top-shop dresses that would be much better:

www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=2933196&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208523&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=20&refinements=category~[223017|208523]&noOfRefinements=1

www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=2933196&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208523&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=20&refinements=category~[223017|208523]&noOfRefinements=1

Or a straightforward sleeveless LBD and put a jacket over it
www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=2616777&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208523&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=20&refinements=category~[223017|208523]&noOfRefinements=1

tethersend Thu 29-Sep-11 23:25:27

Or this

Or this

Or this

peasandlove Thu 29-Sep-11 23:26:52

that warehouse one is a bargain, if you're size 12

cerealqueen Thu 29-Sep-11 23:30:59

No, sorry, its the cut out aspect which is inappropriate. It makes me think of the dress Lisa Butcher wore for her wedding to Marco Pierre White!

So it's a resounding no? Okay, suspected myself that it might be a bit much grin. I really don't go to many weddings, any I've been to recently have been weddings of friends, and my friends really are all rather unconventional. Was a bit dubious of my Mum's approval - as I said, she recently wore body-con to a wedding (though in fairness to her, it had long sleeves, she wore 120's, and she really does have the body for it).

Black is okay for a wedding, then? Thank goodness! Tethers, I love that FC dress, may have to go fit it on. Helltotheno, body is def not 'banging', but am a size 8, so can do cut-outs / slim fitting to a certain extent. Peasandlove, am curious - do you dislike it because of the cut-outs, or just the style in general? Any other suggestions as to where to shop for a black, not-too-girlie dress for a wedding? Am at a loss here!

feelingratheroverwhelmed Thu 29-Sep-11 23:31:32

I love alternative stuff and don't go for classic weddingy outfits, but that dress is sooooooooooo not suitable!!!

The green Wallis dress OTOH, is fab. I'm very very tempted myself but I'm massively pg at the moment and have no idea if my figure is going to return so it may be a complete waste of money! So, please get it and wear it on my behalf smile

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Thu 29-Sep-11 23:35:53

Don't do it. You will look like a tart and people will whisper behind your back. Disrespectful to the bride and groom.

tethersend Thu 29-Sep-11 23:38:05

Zara

Helltotheno Thu 29-Sep-11 23:40:05

Well op I certainly wouldn't object if someone wore this dress to my wedding. It's actually hard to get an idea from the pics what it would look like on a real person. I guess it depends on the type of wedding too.

I like the wallis one too but it would cover you up and I get the impression you'd rather be flashing a bit more flesh?

peasandlove Thu 29-Sep-11 23:40:41

I just dislike it in general, different tastes I spose. I dont like the velvet or the cut-out bits

Ooh, lots of posibilities!! Peas, was considering the maribou sleeved version (I actually adore it), but even I figured it was a touch inappropriate for a wedding grin.

irregularegular, am liking the first dress you linked to. Would definitely get further wear out of it too (important, as am not exactly flush with cash right now). Tethers, the second dress you linked is fab too, am liking your style. wink cerealqueen - absolutely do not want to look like Lisa Butcher. Am now well and truly put off the original dress. <Shadows becomes frightened that she has washed up television presenter taste in clothes and frantically purges wardrobe of anything Butcher-esque>

peasandlove Thu 29-Sep-11 23:55:34

grin

Oh. Helltotheno, am not looking off to show lots of flesh (was actually looking for a long-sleeved dress, as have tattoos on my arms that I would like to cover up for a wedding). Am not a total skank, btw, which I realise may be a conclusion some might reach, based on my propensity towards short dresses and tattoos, just went too far during my tattoo / piercing frenzied 'alternative' youth. wink

Iwouldnotcouldnotwithagoat - that was actually what I wanted to hear - as I said, my Mum thought it was fab (however, my Mum is 56-ish, and slim, and fab, but think Patsy from Ab-Fab and you would not be too far off the mark), however don't want DP's Mum to think me tart-ish.

feelingratheroverwhelmed - I promise I will at least fit on the green Wallis dress on your behalf grin

Tethers - that Zara dress is amazing. And has sleeves. Is absolutely a contender!

Er, 'am not looking off to show lots of flesh'. Am apparently Yoda. Whoops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now