Talk

Advanced search

Hair dye on top of highlights and grey.

(8 Posts)
trinni Thu 29-Sep-11 22:51:29

I should know the answer to this and I'm sure it's a big fat no.

I have highlighted (several shades of blonde) hair - high lift tint, not bleach and approx 50% grey.

I'm beginning to look like the undead as my hair is too ash/silvery due to the grey. I resent the cost, getting it high/low lighted so frequently so, can I put a home colourant on it to make it more golden?

Anyone taken the plunge? I don't want it to be a nasty block ginger shade so preferably a semi or wash in type thing that will leave it shiney.

I've been pondering this question for the past 10 years at least!

trinni Thu 29-Sep-11 22:53:04

...or shiny even!

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 30-Sep-11 07:14:30

I did this with a demi permanent - Casting, in something called "miel soleil" or "miel dore" (am in Paris - in UK I guess it would be something like sunshine honey or golden honey). It worked really well and lasted ages - you might need to leave it on a bit longer to really grip on the grey - I have a stubborn streak above both ears and did this first.

But you really need TattyDevine to advise.

TattyDevine Fri 30-Sep-11 09:16:04

I'm here!

I agree with using a semi, so its more of a "glaze" and shouldn't do too much extra lightening.

I believe the shade MrsShaudenfreude used is Casting Crème Gloss 8304 Sweet Honey. This is a number 8 so very light and should not cause any kind of blocky effect. The varying shades in your hair that already exist should still create some interest.

I suggest you keep getting highlights at the hairdresser from time to time but this shade should give you the warmth you crave.

I suggest you do a strand test on your lightest bit to assess what it will do. Then its much less stressful when you whack it on your whole head! Snip a few strands off the underlayer of your hair where nobody will see, secure them with a label, mix a small amount of dye (this is easy with Clairol as the two bottles you mix together are equal proportions but if they are not with Castings then you might need to do some maths to work out how much developer to add to the colour bit) paint some on, wrap in foil and leave for the developing time. Rinse after the time they say (usually about half an hour) and dry the strand and look at it under strong sunlight. If it looks how you want it, you can be fairly confident and do your whole head this time.

The only other thing to consider is what is your natural colour? I know you are very grey but do you have any virgin hair and what colour is it? Because if it is brown and there is much of it, even in the under layers, they could go a bit ginger due to the amount of peroxide in a semi lot lifting "high enough" to blonde thus leaving you with a rusty ginger. But if you are mainly blonde or grey from root to tip all over your hair this will not be a problem.

trinni Fri 30-Sep-11 23:04:58

Thank you both! Thanks Tatty for such a comprehensive response!

I do have some (not much) mouse-brown virgin hair but according to the hairdresser, I do not have red tones. <clueless>

Anyway, I feel brave enough to try and like the sound of a glaze effect. I shall try Casting Creme Gloss No 8 and report back!

trinni Sat 01-Oct-11 19:00:34

Couldn't find the shade in our pathetically small-town shops! Will need to travel.

TattyDevine Sun 02-Oct-11 08:56:49

Ah. Try online?

mumtoted Sun 02-Oct-11 19:18:37

I have highlights and a tint put on around the foils, that way the regrowth doesn't look as bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now