Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend me a good coat?

(54 Posts)
Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 21:16:02

I've been looking about for winter coats and everything's just a bit...meh..

I've tried all the obvious shops and googled it to death but nothing's doing the trick. I'm hoping some of you lovely ladies will have a very clever idea pretty please grin

(Cos it's probably quite relevant.. I'm 21, fairly tall, a size 14-16 and want to spend up to £100 put preferably more like £60 if pos... hmm )

TIA grin

tethersend Thu 29-Sep-11 21:18:07

What are your requirements?

Hood? Collar? Colour? Belt? Length? Puffa? Wool?

Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 21:20:06

I'm not very good at this am i grin ??

Not fussed about hood...something black/grey/camel/neutral (though deep down i want a bright red duffle coat), warm, not fussed about length

tethersend Thu 29-Sep-11 21:23:06

Ok, let's start by gauging your reaction to this...

Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 21:26:30

I really like the material and style (and the reddish one grin ), but would worry id look a bit of a chub in it.. (i seem to think a coat will work wonders, no it will make me look like me haha)

tethersend Thu 29-Sep-11 21:27:17

Right. will be back shortly with some ideas.

Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 21:29:11

iv just found this one..but cant imagine it not on a skinny waif coat

Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 21:37:35

also my friend sent me a link (oh this coat hunt has become ridiculous!) to this but i cant decide if its beautiful or hideous confused

celticlassie Thu 29-Sep-11 21:37:38

I love this.

Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 21:52:25

OOh thats pretty...similar to a verrry shoddy one i had from primark last year, ive decided now im a grown up (pah) i should start 'investing' in things and not spend £18 on a coat...

celticlassie Thu 29-Sep-11 22:05:41

I'm the same. I always think I should go for 'investment purchases' and instead I buy twelve £8 tops. hmm

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 22:22:47

watching with curiosity. ordered a grown up coat from north face but in red to not be too serious but it's come and it just isn't me. i spend every winter impractically coated or in a variety of hooded coatlike cardigans. want to go a bit more grown up but can't do the mumsy northface weather proof look it turns out.

i'll be returning it so that's a budget of £85 straight off (will keep the lush boots i got from there though - it may have been loving them so much that made me realise how little i loved the coat).

trying to think what i've been looking at that might work for you trygg

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 22:24:56

this is nice, on sale and doesn't require waiflike-ness i don't think.

loved the one tethersend linked to first but not sure i could pull off those sleeves - always make me feel too broad.

tethersend Thu 29-Sep-11 22:41:58

I think Tesco have some lovely stuff at the mo:

brown coat

military coat

belted coat

blanket coat

swing coat

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 22:48:18

those links aren't working tethers

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 22:58:36

i really like this but i may be being massively swayed by the fact i like thumb holes.

tethersend Thu 29-Sep-11 23:05:56

Bloody Tesco. I'm giving them free advertising and they can't even make the links work.

Bah. Have a look at coats on the Tesco website.

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 23:09:22

what do you think of the bench one? too young (i'm 35 and was attempting to be a bit more grown up)

Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 23:10:26

im liking tesco at the mo and dorothy perkins.. its hard isnt it! i think cos i added the dreaded investment word-i cant go aaah bugger it and grab something black and warm or il regret it.. i think. confused

Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 23:14:34

i like the bench one but i think its in my red duffel coat pile-id like it but im having to be a grown up-iv got graduate scheme job applications coming up so i want to look smart-because clearly the coat that you leave/in the car/hang on a hook makes all the difference..like theyr going to say oh trygg you were ideal for the job but the duffel coat? you can piss off... hmm

so new criteria-needs to make me look thin, bag me a dazzling graduate career and be under a hundred quid grin k?

in all seriousness i do love the asos one from tethersend, but cant decide whether its not good for sturdy curvy women?

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 23:24:32

nice bit of detail but smart

red but smart

colour but subtle and flattering diagonal lines at waist

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 23:30:30

this is pretty stylish and the low waist with the aline under it would be flattering i think

Trygg Thu 29-Sep-11 23:31:24

ooh i like the purple one smile

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 23:31:45

what on earth am i doing here? i never come in style and beauty and now i find myself talking about flattering diagonal lines and low waists blush

<scurries back to feminism grin >

swallowedAfly Thu 29-Sep-11 23:32:22

which one - the tommy hilfiger low waist one? or the other one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now