Talk

Advanced search

If you home dye your hair, how often do you do it?

(19 Posts)
HopeForTheBest Thu 29-Sep-11 19:03:47

Just wondering based on a recent thread on here.
I'd always assumed that the permanent ones would last for ages and ages and would need roots redoing.
However, mine starts sort of fading after about a couple of weeks and by week 3 or 4 I'm ready to dye again; although I have a tendency to say "Let's try another colour now" - could it be too much of a colour build up?`
Having said that, I've only been dyeing it since the beginning of summer (though I have dyed in the past and have always had the same experience).

So, after much waffling on - how often do you feel you need to redye your hair (not just roots)? And what colour/make are you using?

nightshade Thu 29-Sep-11 19:32:41

dye it approx every four weeks, red at present.

HopeForTheBest Thu 29-Sep-11 19:41:14

Mine is red too. I wonder if red fades faster than other colours?

BluddyMoFo Thu 29-Sep-11 19:42:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

susiedaisy Thu 29-Sep-11 19:44:27

I dye mine myself and do it around every six weeks

kitya Thu 29-Sep-11 19:44:35

Yes, red will always fade faster than others.

I do mine every 6-8 weeks. I dont have load of grey and my dye colour isnt so far away from my normal colour. I use John Frieda Mousse if Im flush.

talkingnonsense Thu 29-Sep-11 20:02:26

I use a semi permanent and do it about every8 weeks. Not sure if there is any advantage to using a permanent.

nutterbutsquash Thu 29-Sep-11 20:43:52

about every 6 weeks

TattyDevine Thu 29-Sep-11 20:50:32

Every 3-4 weeks. I am auburn at the moment. I have recently started using professional dye as opposed to a box from the chemist, Loreal Majirel with 20 volume (6%) peroxide as a developer which doesn't fade, plus I've just had highlights done at the hairdresser, so I'll only be doing the roots. I might have to wait 4-5 weeks this time as I've just had the highlights so don't want to bash into them when I'm applying my dye! I use a foundation brush to apply it though and its all rather precious I'm afraid grin

Mammonite Thu 29-Sep-11 20:55:35

roughly every 6 weeks but like kitya, I try to match my natural colour and don't have that much grey, just lots of threads (I think). I use Exellence creme and paint it on like the hairdresser does with a colourists' brush (about 1.99 in superdrug). It doesn't fade much AFAI can tell. I've given up colour changing now because I sometimes get too busy to re-dye and it looks awful with an inch of roots.

HappyAsASandboy Thu 29-Sep-11 21:09:33

I just do roots every 4 weeks or so. I dye it blonde, but only a couple of shades lighter than my natural mousey brown colour.

I never dye through the lengths - either the dye holds as the hair grows down, or the sun lightens it as it gets longer? Inassumed it was the permanent dye being permanent!

TattyDevine Thu 29-Sep-11 21:12:21

Blonde is sort of different Happy, in that you can't wash out permenant lightening effect. Once bleached its bleached forever. Well, strictly speaking its not bleach, its peroxide, but it still strips the natural colour out of your hair. It also deposits colour - ash, or gold, or beige, or whatever blonde you are. But if you find it goes a bit brassy or faded or less shiny, that's sort of the blonde equivalent of your "colour fading".

Chances are your colour lightens your natural hair to the correct sort of tone as well as lightness which is why you don't notice anything like this.

daenerysstormborn Thu 29-Sep-11 21:16:00

every 4-5 weeks. tend to stick with l'oreal excellence creme ash blonde, which is not far off my natural colour.

MrsMilton Fri 30-Sep-11 09:16:40

I use Root Touch-Up every 2-3 weeks. You just put it on the roots, obviously, otherwise you get too much colour build up.

I have an all over colour done every few months at the salon. It's so expensive I couldn't justify paying it every couple of weeks but I hate to see the greys so I need to do something.

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Fri 30-Sep-11 09:19:59

every 3-4 weeks, I use John Frieda.

mashyup Fri 30-Sep-11 09:22:26

I do mine every 5 - 6 weeks but in term time I have been having it done at the local college by students, as a compromise between a box dye and hairdressers, which I can no longer afford. The college is good, and its only about £15, but the down side is it takes hours, I'm usually in there for about 3 hours as they have to keep checking with the tutor etc.

HopeForTheBest Fri 30-Sep-11 11:06:08

This is encouraging. I had been thinking I was a bit mad to want to redye it again so soon, but can see (from this highly representative sample! grin ) that anywhere between 3 to 5 weeks is normal.

How does the Root Touch-Up work? I've seen boxes of it, and but you don't get one for every single different colour (or make).

I probably need to get over to YouTube to see about applying dye properly - I'd never thought of using a brush, I've been basically combing it through.
But I think the red is here to stay (for a while at least) as everyone has commented how nice it looks.
No grey to cover (only the odd hair here and there) it was more a case of my natural colour (which used to be red) had gone very, very dull and was more non-descript brown than anything else.

Hair is short now too, so I've been using only half a box, hence saving even more money! Yay!

MrsMilton Fri 30-Sep-11 13:05:47

Root Touch-Up seems to work well. I have a chocolatey brown tint done by the hairdressser and I buy Medium Brown Root Touch-Up. You just paint it on your roots, wait 20 mins and wash off. It blends completely and eventually gives nice highlights over your base colour. You have to choose the one nearest your colour, but don't worry about being too precise as they are designed to blend in with whatever you have on already.

angelinterceptor Fri 30-Sep-11 13:10:54

i use a semi-permanent (loreal casting or something) and usually do it every 4-5 weeks.

Used to get it done at hairdressers, but cant justify the money anymore

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now