Talk

Advanced search

Help me look stylish in pregnancy

(9 Posts)

Fabulous ladies of S&B I desperately need your help to look stylish and chic for the next. 23 weeks!!

A mini bump has just appeared and made my regular trousers/jeans very uncomfortable. Add to that the enormous 32FF's that have appeared and I'm struggling with what to wear!!

Have been a bit naughty and invested in a black wool/cashmere trench coat and a pair of flat brown Tory Burch boots which I'm telling myself are going to be super useful and last for years!!

Other than that I have 2 pairs of cheap jeans From H&M (one skinny, one bootflare) and 3 wrap tops from Jojo's in white, navy and cornflower.

I'm not a floaty clothes person (have hips and boobs which even as an 8/10 mean I look like a sack of potatoes in anything that's not shaped in the waist area!!) but would love and advice on where to go or what to wear.

Thanks S&B gurus!!!!

PullyWoolOver Thu 29-Sep-11 19:07:03

Congratulations!

Agree finding stylish clothes is tricksy when you're pregnant. I've found that Topshop and Asos have offered the best things, I've just bought a fab swing dress from Asos - good bump/ hip/ bum disguiser and also I think you could fit almost anything under there, it will last me until the end!

Topshop also good for dresses and jeans.

Finally, try eBay. I've found some bargain Topshop jeans on there (boyfriend and skinny) and as they wear really well there's no need to pay full price each time!

ParkerRocks Thu 29-Sep-11 19:32:18

My best maternity jeans were £30 H&M skinnies! I lived in them, so comfy and easy to dress up or down! Gap do some lovely fitted over bump tops and dresses. Most places do maternity wear but it's often only available online. I went for a quite fitted look during my pregnancy, skinny jeans, plain or stripe top, nice tailored blazer. I still felt like me rather than 6 months in things I'd never look at twice! For me nice accessories were my best friend! Lovely bangles, I got a beautiful scarf from Zara, and also a nice pair of ballet flats with detailing! Basically I was trying to pull attention away from my huge bump and chest so no way I was walking around in things that resembled vividly patterned tents! Congrats and Good luck!

ParkerRocks - I have been looking for a good quality blazer. Do you think I can get away with a non maternity one?

gapants Fri 30-Sep-11 10:05:11

New Look have a drak indigo wash maternity jean that I have lived in and I think they are still doing 2/£10 scoop neck long lenth 3/4 sleeve maternity layering tops. I wear them alot with a long chunky pendant.

Another thing I do it a belt dresses and tunics under my bust, sometimes with a tan pleated belt or with a chunky studded belt over the top of leggings/skinnies to give me some shape and definition.

yummybunny Fri 30-Sep-11 10:35:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saoirse86 Fri 30-Sep-11 10:51:07

I think non-maternity blazers look better. Otherwise they just make room for your bump and then there's too much fabric flapping about.

I think skinny jeans or leggings will go great with the boots (and help you get your money's worth out of them!). What you wear over leggings depends on your bum. At a size 8-10 you can probably get away with not having to wear ridiculously long cover everything tops. What about something like this?

Other places that do some decent maternity are topshop, gap, h&m, mamas and papas, next, pumpkin patch, new look, Dorothy Perkins, marks and Spencer and river island are launching a range but I can't see it online yet.

Mrsdp123 Fri 30-Sep-11 12:19:08

I like Topshop maternity and lives in their skinny Baxter jeans, H&M for the best maternity vests, nice thick material and long. Isabella Oliver for tight tops (don't bother with their wrap top though - the one that looks like bandages, it is a right old pain to put on and always leaves gaps). I also spent a lot of time shopping in Whistles for non maternity stuff that seems to work now and will do afterwards. Similarly my maternity stuff from Topshop isn't floaty/noticeably maternity so I will wear that afterwards as well. Also Zara for tops and cardigans. Gap for dark denim maternity skirt. Boden for normal wrap dresses for work- non maternity.
I liked maternity wear to be fitted and show off my bump(s)...I figure that once the baby is here I won't be wearing anything tight and fitted for a while!!

ParkerRocks Fri 30-Sep-11 12:30:50

Definately go for non maternity blazer! Maternity ones have miles of fabric! I started off wearing just my normal ones, at about 7 mths I bought a jersey one, topshop I think, and sized up. The jersey fabric was sooo comfy. I guess in all honesty it's down to your shape and how much weight you gain, no one seemed to realise I was pregnant until about 7 months but then my bump all of a sudden became huge! I wore the blazer briefly after baby too, I felt smart on the outside, even if under my clothes I was a wobbly mess! Also if you want maternity leggings, buy H&M ones! They were by far the most comfortable, didn't fall down or go baggy and only cost about £8! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now