Advanced search

To Boden or not to Boden?

(13 Posts)
MrsWembley Thu 29-Sep-11 10:38:45

Is it worth it to be pointed out as 'one of those mum

MrsWembley Thu 29-Sep-11 10:40:25

Aaahhghhhgh bloody phone!!

One of those mum's I was going to say!!

And can anyone tell me anything about Joe Brown, re quality etc.?

Ambernj1 Thu 29-Sep-11 10:49:10

I wear a bit of Boden (for example today I have on a navy drapey jersey top and silver ballerinas from there) and I think as long as you the plainer bits (absolutely nothing described as 'fun' or featuring any kind of large offensive jazzy appliqué) I don't think you'd be recognisably 'Boden'.

I find the quality good and the stuff is useful for everyday. I actually think a lot of their stuff is less recognisable than, say, White Stuff.

MrsWembley Thu 29-Sep-11 10:56:35

Ah, you see I do wear Whie Stuff as I like the drapey style.

It's only that Boden is mentioned so often on here and I wondered if it really is 'all that'.grin

I need a short term, post-pregnancy, pre-diet wardrobe and I want a few quality items rather than loads of shit, which is what I tried to do last time (but failed, bought shitbiscuit). I hate clothes shopping so catalogues are looking really good right now.

JohnniesBitch Thu 29-Sep-11 10:58:10

I wear a fair bit of boden for work, especially the nicer wrap dresses (last season had some awful prints). But for out of work, i only wear something like the hamptons t-shirts with denim skirt, and the plainer tops.
The thing is all those brands, boden white stuff, fat face are all worn by the same types, so they know what you are wearing and likely to be wearing the same at some point.

Joe browns is pretty shocking quality for the price. very thin cottons, jumpers that get holey quickly etc. ive only brought the plus range before (gone from a 26 to a 14/16 recently) but i can't see that the normal range quality is any different.

Housewife2010 Thu 29-Sep-11 11:25:58

The good thing about Boden is that you can resell it on Ebay at a good price when you've finished with it. So if you're an Ebayer & planning on only wearing the clothes for a short period you'll be able to get quite a bit of money back - particularly if you buy during the current mid season sale & get an additional 15% off with the RE15 code.

MrsWembley Thu 29-Sep-11 17:01:57

Many thanks! Will give Joe Brown a wide berth and have a closer look at the Boden catalogue.grin

CointreauVersial Thu 29-Sep-11 18:02:43

My tip for Boden is wait for the Sales. It's good quality, but a smidge over-priced in my opinion, so worth picking up at a discount.

Don't worry about finding out when the Sale is on, the news will be all over the S&B thread!

CointreauVersial Thu 29-Sep-11 18:06:15

Ignore the current Boden Sale, btw, it's only a piffling rubbish mid-season one. They can do better!

MrsWembley Thu 29-Sep-11 22:09:09

I'm only asking really coz I got a letter saying they were willing to bribe me with a tenner off on top of the 15%, plus free delivery.hmm The only thing that bothers me is the way people comment on here about it.wink

And, like I said, I'm rather desperately in need of some new stuff.

TantePiste Fri 30-Sep-11 03:21:12

I say go for it. I have a good number of the more plain, solid colour pieces and wear them all the time. Get a lot of compliments too. They have a good amount of items that flatter curves and dont make one look boxy.1

Marne Fri 30-Sep-11 04:18:19

I think if you go for the plainer stuff you are ok, if you buy a spotty coat then people will say 'theres one of those mums'. TBH i don't like Boden, just not my thing but i buy the dd some boden bits and have found most of it to be good quality. I like Joe Browns but it is slightly over priced.

snail1973 Fri 30-Sep-11 12:38:43

mid season sale has finished already???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now