Talk

Advanced search

Wedding novice. Is this dress suitable?

(19 Posts)
SevenAgainstThebes Thu 29-Sep-11 09:47:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jessicaalbastwin Thu 29-Sep-11 09:58:04

Hi sorry but I dont like the dress nor the colour, I think it looks abit childish tbh. Im not sure how old you are, but I think you can get a better dress that looks alot more elegant. Sos.

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 29-Sep-11 10:53:25

steamedtreaclesponge Thu 29-Sep-11 10:57:25

I think it's beautiful! I'd go for a fitted, shortish black blazer over the top and black shoes as you won't really need much in the way of accessories with the dress so embellished.

Ifancyashandy Thu 29-Sep-11 10:58:57

I like it for an evening do. I'd put it with pewter heels. It will need a tan though. No necklace and simple earrings (due to detailed neckline). Big cocktail ring and a clutch.

DelGirl Thu 29-Sep-11 10:59:42

I think it is fine for the evening though i'm not sure about the service itself.

mollymole Thu 29-Sep-11 11:02:04

i like it,but would cover up arms and definately wear tights in the church

Ephiny Thu 29-Sep-11 11:03:49

Wouldn't wear that to a church service, too short and too evening-y. Can't you just go in normal but fairly smart day clothes for the service, and then dress up for the evening do?

If you won't have the opportunity to change (not sure if you're going home in between?) then I'd go for a different dress.

BunnyLebowski Thu 29-Sep-11 11:05:59

I think it's fab and I would go for steamedtreaclesponge's styling suggestion of blazer with black shoes.

You'll look great!

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 29-Sep-11 11:11:44

steamedtreaclesponge Thu 29-Sep-11 11:20:05

Don't worry about looking overdressed in the church - they're always freezing so you'll probably want to keep your coat on the whole time anyway. As long as you don't turn up in one of these I promise no-one will give you a second glance.

Try on the blazer and see how it looks - velvet is nice but not if it swamps the shape of the dress. The cardi sounds like an OK alternative but not as smart. Black satin peep-toe shoes will be fine with black tights, if you want to wear skin-coloured you'll need something with a closed toe.

ImCoveredInBeeeees Thu 29-Sep-11 11:24:06

I think that dress is fine for a wedding, especially at your age. I second the advice not to go overboard with accessories as the neckline is detailed. As previous posters have said, it will be cold in church so you'll have some kind of cover up on so the dress will be fine. Have a lovely time!

billgrangersrisotto Thu 29-Sep-11 11:27:04

She's not going to the church bit, just the evening.

It's lovely, you'll look lovely. I wouldn't bother with a blazer or whatever, you'll be too hot if you're dancing. Just wear a coat and take it off when you get there. Agree with pewter heels, but I think copper, (dark) gold or silver would also work. If they're closed toe, go for nude tights. If they're open toe, either get those open toe special tights or I'd risk it bare legged (but fake tan!!!). It'll be dark so no one will be inspecting you.

Evening do of a wedding is just like a dressy night out (but no jeans). Don't panic!

billgrangersrisotto Thu 29-Sep-11 11:29:16

Sorry, just seen the church bit. Got confused with the not going to wedding breakfast. So - you will need some tights and you will need something extra up top. What about a nice cardi? Or you could even just wear a silverey pashmina.

mamalovebird Thu 29-Sep-11 11:30:13

Well I'm 34 and I'd wear that for a wedding.
Team it with plain shoes and jacket/cardi and you'll look lovely.
Agree with not to much jewellery/accessories although I reckon you could get away with a statement ring.

AWimbaWay Thu 29-Sep-11 11:31:10

It's lovely and absolutely fine for a wedding, including church! I've been to loads of weddings in the past few years and lots of people wore similar style dresses, just keeping their cardi, jacket, shawl etc. on in the church or registry office.

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 29-Sep-11 11:41:51

steamedtreaclesponge Thu 29-Sep-11 11:59:40

I've never heard that rule! Pashminas go with pretty much everything, IMO

BalloonSlayer Thu 29-Sep-11 12:06:53

Sorry got to go against the grain here and say it looks like a dress Ann Summers would sell. It's a prom dress and to me it looks it - something a 16 year old would wear to try to look hot. And dark shiny fabrics totally inappropriate for church, I'd say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now