Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cruise Wear !

(18 Posts)
TeaOneSugar Wed 28-Sep-11 19:21:51

DH has booked us on a cruise, a surprise for our upcoming big birthday. I've never been on a cruise before my MIL has and keeps talking about things being "cruisey"!

It's a week in scandinavia, next September, so I'm guessing for day time I'll need the same sort of clothers I'd wear on holiday here in late summer/early autumn, with layers in case its changeable.

So;

Jeans/warm trousers
Short and long sleeved tops/t-shirts
Sweatshirts/Jumpers
Warm coat that will accomodate t-shirt + sweatshirt/jumper
Less warm coat/jacket to wear over top/t-shirt if it's warmer.

Rather than the Hyacinth Bucket sailor suits I think MIL has in mind.

For the evenings;

3 More formal (but knee length) cocktail dresses (thinking the sort of thing I'd wear for a more formal christmas party)

4 nice but less formal dresses (More dinner in a nice restaurant mid week)

Does that sound OK, or will I be expected to be in a full length ball gown and a tiara?

The weigh limit for luggage is 200lb each, so no need to travel light.

KatieScarlett2833 Wed 28-Sep-11 19:23:05

I'm going in 10 days time and haven't given it any thought.

Shit.

TeaOneSugar Wed 28-Sep-11 19:32:09

I know I'm planning a long way ahead smile, but in my defence I've just lost nearly 4 stone and have next to nothing in my wardrobe so I thought I should have a rough packing list in my head while I'm re building my wardrobe over the next year or so.

If I was going in 10 days I'd be in trouble.

KatieScarlett2833 Wed 28-Sep-11 19:34:29

I am in trouble. I'll just lurk and shamelessly copy methinks... grin

Doilooklikeatourist Wed 28-Sep-11 19:56:24

We went on a cruise last year , to the Med in August , so a bit different.
We had a lot of advice from www.cruisecritic.co.uk
There are forums for each cruise line and everything else you need to know.
If you want endless fun andtoreally--wind--some--people--up ask a question about wearing shorts on formal night or why do we have to tip ! Hours of fun .
Now , some advice. Make sure you have nice comfy shoes for sightseeing .
Take a swimsuit , we went on Celebrity Eclipse and it had a mice warm pool in a a covered area , so even in cooler weather it's lovely.
A shrug or pashmina type thing ( probably air con inside )
I'm sure you'll have a lovely time , we did and can't wait to cruise again.

gregssausageroll Wed 28-Sep-11 19:59:41

You won't need all those formal dresses. 1 will do you and just wear on each formal night. Other dinner nights can be plain dresses or trousers/tops

Doilooklikeatourist Wed 28-Sep-11 20:04:07

Was actually a N ice warm pool and not a M ice warm pool . Eeeeuw.

KatieScarlett2833 Wed 28-Sep-11 20:05:43

Mine is Royal Caribbean Ind of the Sea

I'll be the one in the corner with the burkha

bunnyspoiler Wed 28-Sep-11 21:03:54

You'll need some crusty, sequinned 'gowns'. Buy these at any middle aged ladies boutique in a market town. ours are called 'Glad-rags' and 'Ches'.

TeaOneSugar Wed 28-Sep-11 21:17:07

It seems to be quite a "traditional" cruise company, DH has to wear at least a jacket and shirt with a collar every night, tie optional (according to the website) even on the informal nights, so I suppose I was thinking I'd want to be in a dress if he was in a suit.

TeaOneSugar Wed 28-Sep-11 21:18:37

grin can't see me in sequinned gowns, but I'm sure MIL will try to lend me some.

TeaOneSugar Wed 28-Sep-11 21:22:10

The pashmina is a good idea, I hate sitting in an air conditioning draft.

KatieScarlett2833 Thu 29-Sep-11 16:07:34

Have plethoria of pashminas so good.

...not so much about the sequined ge-owns. Am too scared to into a laydeez boot-eek.

Debenhams?

Chewbecca Thu 29-Sep-11 16:54:29

I think you DO need all those dresses. Well maybe not need but want.
Usually each ship publishes how many formal and how many semi formal nights are held.
When we went, I wore full length for the formal and wore a diff dress each time, personally I wouldn't have wanted to wear the same each time. They weren't 'stiff' full length, or spangled though.
For the semi formals I wore knee length dresses and a couple of linen trouser and top combos. Again, sep outfit for each night.
Of course, that's not essential but for a lot of people the dressing up is all part of the fun of a cruise.
These outfits were for wearing to the main restaurant. If you go to the self service, you don't need to dress up. We were on navigator of the seas so also rc and we ate in the main rest every night, didn't like the self service restaurant at all so dressed up every night.
I did dig out my last few years worth of Christmas party outfits + bought a couple of new items.
Btw, isn't 200lb a huge weight? I thought 1 large suitcase weighed around 20 kilos so maybe 50 lb?
For day wear, I think you are absolutely fine.
Have fun shopping for those new clothes!

TeaOneSugar Thu 29-Sep-11 17:48:00

chewbecca Yes, 200lb is massive, I could pack everything I own and still be under 200lb, it's over 14 stone, so between us we can take about 28.5 stone of luggage.

I think I agree with you, dressing up is part of the experience, especially as dd isn't coming so I'll have more time and energy for getting ready.

I imagine we'll eat in the main restaurant every night, might as well get the full service, it's costing enought £.

Doilooklikeatourist Thu 29-Sep-11 21:29:30

We had 3 formal nights , I took 2 long dresses and wore 1 twice. The other nights I wore a linen skirt and top ( but it was hot weather )
A collared shirt for men can also mean a polo shirt
On formal nights DH wore a black suit with shirt and tie , Some of the men wore full dinner suit with cummerbund and bow tie .
It's not just how much you can take with you, it's the putting it away in the cabins , they are small !

LoopyLucyLoo Fri 30-Sep-11 11:10:10

Acceptable dress differs from ship to ship. When we cruised on the QM2 everyone dressed up every night for dinner and every single evening was formal. On the Independence of the Seas, however, there was a real variety of dress. We only had 3 formal dinner nights where most people were dressed up (although not all I have to say) and on the other nights there was a complete mix of very dressy and very casual. Ind. of Seas was definitely more relaxed and, if I cruised with them again, I wouldn't be half as worried about whether I had enough posh frocks.

Enjoy your cruises, I'm very jealous!

Mumleigh Fri 30-Sep-11 14:43:02

Hi I went on a 7 night cruise this summer (P&O) and we had two formal nights and the rest were semi formal or evening casual.
On the formal nights the women seemed to go for the red carpet look - I just wore what I would wear for a Black tie function so it was cocktail dresses for me. ( no sequins!)
The semi formal was what you would expect to wear to a smart dinner party or something.
Some people go very OTT and some don't.
During the day you just wear anything you are comfortable in.
I was not expecting to enjoy a cruise but had a brilliant time and have booked two more.
Hope you enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now