Talk

Advanced search

do I dare do a home colour?

(8 Posts)
lacornsillk Wed 28-Sep-11 12:18:18

I am sick of spending £100plus on my hair each time. There is a recession on ...it is sheer indulgence. How crap will a home colour look?

ilovearnold Wed 28-Sep-11 12:27:40

Hi - in same boat as you- haqve you got a proffessional product retailer near you - what i did was find out waht product my stylist used and bought it from Sallys which i think you can look up on line.The only thing is mines a block colour as i cdnt afford mixed foils at hairdressers.however they do sell foils too.. good luck x

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Wed 28-Sep-11 12:31:59

I use John Freida's hair colour, even my hairdresser concedes it's a lovely colour. (I use medium brown, comes out quite dark but it's v glossy) I hate the fade so do it every three weeks at a tenner a shot.

GetOrfMo1Land Wed 28-Sep-11 12:35:04

I am growing mine out - not from the expense, but rather I got pissed off with a Saturday morning or afternoon wasted every 6-8 weeks. HIghlightes take so bloody long.

I am actually surprised at how nice my hair looks in its natural state.

lacornsillk Wed 28-Sep-11 12:37:37

Yes the time at the hairdressers annoys me massively. There is a sally's near me....will google smile

ElsieMc Wed 28-Sep-11 14:34:04

Home colours are so much better than they used to be. I have heard of as many disasters at the hairdressers as at home. I stopped going to the hairdresser because it go too expensive and in a few months, the colour did not take on two occasions and I had to go back and have it redone.

You need to remember that the permanent home colourants are always one or two shades darker than you may expect eg medium brown will generally be darker brown so you need to avoid the Elvis look.

It also depends on how grey you are as to how the colour will take. It's harder if you are quite grey because you will get colour build up at the ends and it may be hard to cover your roots.

Excellence Creme and Nutrisse are both pretty good. I find the ten minute ones did not take very well - I am grey.

daenerysstormborn Wed 28-Sep-11 14:36:09

i'm another who would recommend l'oreal excellence creme, i use the ash blonde shade regularly.

lacornsillk Wed 28-Sep-11 16:40:01

well I have done it. My head didn't fall off or anything and it looks okay. <chuffed>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now