Talk

Advanced search

Help! What can I wear for a party with trendy people?

(30 Posts)
mamaduckbone Tue 27-Sep-11 21:34:20

I would never normally post in this section because it's all a bit alien to me tbh - I wear linen trousers and tops for work, jeans at the weekend, a dress for high days and holidays - I'm just not a shopping, fashion person.
Which means that the fact dh and I have been invited to one of his old uni friend's wife's birthday party is filling me with dread. It's a 40th, but there will be lots of trendy London media type people there and I am having actual sleepness nights.
We've not seen any of the crowd for a couple of years and even when we lived in London and saw them more regularly I always felt frumpy and plain. I don't know any of the women well enough to ask them what they are wearing so I could get it SO wrong. Dressed up or down? Heels? Dh thinks it won't be overly dressy and feels I'm being ridiculous. He's going to wear jeans, a shirt and brogues. I wish I was a man! I also have zilch shopping budget but
have ordered this bargain top www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/ecote-pop-beaded-tank/invt/5747434799800/&bklist= which I'm hoping is glitzy enough to look dressed up but not over dressed up. Any ideas what I could wear it with or am I completely off the mark?
Sorry for the ramble.

Daydreaming Tue 27-Sep-11 21:39:36

If you want to construct an outfit around that top, then I would wear: black or grey skinny jeans, some great heels that you feel comfortable in, the new top, a little black jacket if you have one.

mamaduckbone Thu 29-Sep-11 07:09:56

A very belated reply but thanks, that was what I was thinking!

hettie Thu 29-Sep-11 08:40:28

Hi,
In a former life I (on a good day!) might have been one of those trendy media types... so maybe I can help. I like th top 'tis very 'cool.... Where is the party and what size/shape are you?

yummybunny Thu 29-Sep-11 10:48:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chandon Thu 29-Sep-11 12:29:46

great top, with skinnies and heels would be fab

bogle Thu 29-Sep-11 12:38:45

perfect top, you'll look effortlessly great. Another vote for heels too of course.

mamaduckbone Thu 29-Sep-11 22:21:38

Thank you - I'm glad the top meets with approval! And I shall stick to my guns on heels - I have a pair of midnight blue patent heels with a bit of a platform and ankle strap - do they sound like they might do the job?
Hettie I'm 5'5, a 10-12 and a little chunky of thigh so I'm unsure about skinny jeans but if the top is long enough (hasn't arrived yet...) I'll hopefully get away with it.
The party is in a club in North London - think Shoreditch but I don't want to be too specific - can you imagine how mortified I'd be if someone popped up and said - ooh I'm a trendy London media type going to a 40th party on Saturday - see ya there! grin

mamaduckbone Thu 29-Sep-11 22:24:37

Oh God - that's my sleepless night now..."Hi, nice to meet you face to face - yes, the top looks good but your arse is too big for skinny jeans, go back to t'sticks and your fashion free life immediately"

DrNortherner Thu 29-Sep-11 22:27:43

LOVE that top. Agree with skinnies and some killer heels, the ones you describe sound perfect. A black jacket and loads of bangles plus a cool envelope clutch you are good to go.

Don't forget smoky eyes grin

mamaduckbone Thu 29-Sep-11 22:31:10

Can someone come round and help me get dressed please? I so don't want to get it wrong but suspect I might still end up looking crap - I don't really do makeup and jewellery very well. Sob.

mamaduckbone Thu 29-Sep-11 22:33:17

MrDuckbone won't know what's hit him if I follow your advice DrNorthener - sensible schoolteacher to vamp wife via the mumsnet style gurus grin

peasandlove Thu 29-Sep-11 23:06:30

aw bless.. give it a go grin

DrNortherner Fri 30-Sep-11 07:37:31

Where do you live?

Seriously, if close enough to me I would come round. Get yourself to Boots at buy this [http://www.boots.com/en/17-Create-The-Look-Eye-Palette-Smoky-Eyes_1219481/ smoky eye kit]] you can't go wrong.

Hope you enjoy the night!

DrNortherner Fri 30-Sep-11 07:37:50

try again

emsyj Fri 30-Sep-11 09:26:54

Can I recommend that you get someone to do you a professional hair & makeup makeover? It will make all the difference to how you feel IMO. There is a place I could recommend oop North, but not in London sadly although I'm guessing there must be an equivalent. The Liverpool place is Peaches & Cream, and everyone I know who has been there has said it's the best they've ever looked. It's about £70 for hair & make-up I think. I haven't been, but plan to next time I have a night out that warrants it.

I'm not sure what you'd search for, maybe Make-up Bar? Or search for someone mobile who can come to the house.

bogle Fri 30-Sep-11 09:59:36

No jewellery, the top is decoration enough. I distinctly remember going out post baby back into the north/east London whirl for a birthday and feeling SO WRONG with my necklace, less is more. Lots of make up tho.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 30-Sep-11 10:29:15

The top is cool!

TapselteerieO Fri 30-Sep-11 11:15:36

A bangle or cuff would be all the jewellery I would wear, have you got a jacket/blazer? I like the sound of your shoes.

mamaduckbone Fri 30-Sep-11 20:10:48

Thanks drnorthener that really is very sweet! We'll be heading down from the midlands to London at lunchtime though, going to friend's house who we're staying with and getting ready there. The hair and makeup thing sounds great but no time and beyond my budget anyway-maybe some other time. Have tried full outfit on and feel pretty good, just need to practice my smoky eyes now! Should I paint my nails? If so what colour? Jewellery definitely not needed with all those beads- going for less is more in that department and shall attempt the artfully messy look, or perhaps just messy after a sweaty day in London, with my hair. It's coming together-thanks so much for all the advice and confidence boosting!

DukesOfTripHazard Fri 30-Sep-11 21:09:37

I wouldn't bother with nails. Or maybe just clear shine.

kplondon Fri 30-Sep-11 21:28:43

I think the top is FAB!!!! For someone who describes herself as not a fashion person, you have enviable taste!

I agree with TapselteerioO that a big bangle or cuff is all the jewellery you need - what do other posters think of this one or this one - is it too much?

For the bottom, skinny trousers to be sure - but just in case it's a dressy 40th (I have been to some!) make sure the jeans are dark and smart, rather than faded - and definitely heels.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Sat 01-Oct-11 12:49:57

Lovely top! Yep, skinny dark or grey jeans and no jewellery (well, perhaps a plain, chunky thumb ring). But I'd go for court-style shoes rather than strappy.This kind of thing?

gapants Sat 01-Oct-11 13:18:00

You have the makings of a very good outfit.

What is your hair like? Can you do middle parting with large soft waves with a striaghenting iron?

smokey eyes, some gloss, but go big on the eyes. The shoes you have sound great. I would paint my nails, possibly a classic pop red, or a deep flat purple but very short and squared off nail shape.

brookeslay Sat 01-Oct-11 16:33:38

get a blowdry here

take a great clutch bagthis comes in 3 colours

this nail varnish
great red

like the cuff smaller cuff

Monday jeans are good and have some stretch sell them at asos.

get your make up done aveda ( nr covent garden)do a 25 min session or go to bobbi brown for a lesson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now