Talk

Advanced search

I need to replenish my tops - want to help?

(23 Posts)
Millie1 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:20:21

My wardrobe has an abundance of striped long-sleeved t-shirts .... I need something different! I've got 2 l-sleeved t's which I won't put into retirement and I've recently got this and am waiting on this but it seems to be on 11 wks wait now. I've got a couple of jumpers which are serviceable (both navy) and ordered this Gap cardigan with the 30% off last night.

So I need tops which I can wear with jeans as I spend 90% of my days in jeans. They need to disguise 'a tummy' and must have long sleeves. I really feel the cold (note to self to invest in some thermals!) so warm is essential. I must get away from the striped, l/s t!

Any suggestions please?smile

Millie1 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:21:24

Am happy to layer if someone can put together layering looks - it never feels right when I do it!!

yellowraincoat Tue 27-Sep-11 20:35:40

Not sure about either of the tops you linked to, to be honest, think you could get a lot nicer than that at that price

eg

Millie1 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:47:34

Thanks Yellow - it's pretty but far too dressy. The first Boden top is very nice on and a step away from my usual style, the second link I obviously haven't seen IRL yet.

accessorizequeen Tue 27-Sep-11 21:15:18

Millie, wrap online have some lovely l/s tops with ruching at the front that are not striped. The colours would go well with the grey cardie and you could stick a vest underneath to warm it up when it's colder. Dare I suggest something with a pattern from white stuff?

deviladvocate Tue 27-Sep-11 21:30:28

I need to do exactly the same thing and like the same shape tops, big fan of a print too

I like white stuff tops, like this one [http://www.whitestuff.com/ANIMATED-TUNIC-P333430/ here] or maybe [http://www.whitestuff.com/SHINING-TEE-P400323/ this one] stripes but with a difference?! Might be worth a look for everyday

Just spotted this one at Crew, a bit dressier for weekend or evening [http://www.crewclothing.co.uk/Layla-Shirt-PRODW60_2331/ here] or maybe [http://www.crewclothing.co.uk/Graphic-Kaftan-PRODW60_1731/ this?]

deviladvocate Tue 27-Sep-11 21:38:56

And now with the links done properly blush

I like white stuff tops, like this one here or maybe this one stripes but with a difference?! Might be worth a look for everyday

Just spotted this one at Crew, a bit dressier for weekend or evening here or maybe this?

Millie1 Tue 27-Sep-11 22:32:49

Thank you both, off to look at White Stuff now. AQ -please could you link to the Wrap tops - I've had a look but can't see the ruched tops? Thanks!

accessorizequeen Tue 27-Sep-11 22:49:17

It's this one, Willow jersey top http://www.wraplondon.co.uk/fashion-W601-SMWJT/jersey-tops/willow-jersey-top.htm
I know it's plain for the money but their linen tops are lovely quality.
I think the ruching ideal for tummy. I have a free delivery code around if you need it.

deviladvocate Tue 27-Sep-11 22:52:49

you've got me into all sorts of trouble this evening, just been browsing the jaeger sale, absolutely can't afford any of it but still lusting after several dresses on there....

Millie1 Tue 27-Sep-11 22:54:53

Oh yes, that is very nice thanks AQ. Need to think about colours but yes please for free delivery code if you don't mind.

accessorizequeen Tue 27-Sep-11 23:10:57

I shall look for it in the kitchen (and must not use it myself...) and post it tomorrow, Millie. They do free returns too so nothing lost really if you don't like it.

Millie1 Wed 28-Sep-11 19:07:22

Any more suggestions ladies? Have a couple of possibilities but would like a few more. smile

Thanks

blondassassin Wed 28-Sep-11 20:19:23

Hi Millie1! Like you I have a bit of a penchant for striped tops and find it hard to stop buying them! However I can second AQ's suggestion to try Wrap. I've got the Willow top in navy and white and find them really useful. They look best layered under a lightweight knit or thicker tee I've found, one which is a bit shorter so the frill pokes out at the bottom. I've also got the Stella tee in 2 colours and the Virginie spot top in the nudey pink blush, all of which I'm finding really easy to wear.
I've also just taken delivery of these two boden tops,Wrap Jersey Top and Drapey Jersey Top, both of which are really nice on, although the wrap one will probably need a cami underneath for daytime.
I also have the Alaska Jersey Bow Top from Great Plains, which is a bit more interesting than a bog standard t shirt.
I'm not great with pattern though, so these tops may all be a bit plain for you.

accessorizequeen Wed 28-Sep-11 20:31:30

I so want a willow top now! Code is CD70FP btw Millie.
Have you considered tank top over l/s plain top Like the Brora plain ones with lace trim and woolly tank. All l/s tops seem to be plain if warm or thin silk ones.

ezzie21 Wed 28-Sep-11 20:42:31

just another 10/10 for the wrap boden top, it actually fits and looks lovely

id buy it in all the colours if i could afford it

are there any other cheaper wrap tops about does any one know about?

sorry to hijack blush

Millie1 Wed 28-Sep-11 22:28:13

Blondassassin - great advice thank you! I wouldn't have thought of Great Plains but really like Marais but maybe a bit shapeless? and maybe too fitted - both stripes!! Oh and cardigan and another cardigan. I wonder would Mulberry be too limiting in the Willow top?

AQ thank you for the code. I found a Wrao brochure in my Red magazine today but didn't think to check for a discount code. I'll have a look when I go to bed and if there's a code, I'll post it tomorrow.

Both Boden tops look nice. Disappointed with Boden today as I ordered the spot scarf in navy, returned for exchange and got sent purple instead of brown and now the brown is sold out. Grrrr.

I really, really want to stop rotating the same few tops and get some variety!

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 28-Sep-11 22:34:43

I've recently has this cardigan from Mint Velvet. Its great for hiding "problem" tummies and looks lovely with plain white long sleeved top underneath. It also looks good with this striped top under. Sorry blush

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 28-Sep-11 22:35:41

Love this as well but its a bit dressier

Millie1 Wed 28-Sep-11 22:43:19

I like your first two links Tilly - stripes just won't go away! grin

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 28-Sep-11 22:47:24

I love them too grin. The cardigan is really lovely on. I'm tempted to get the grey one as well and some different coloured striped plain tops to go underneath and then my winter wardrobe is pretty sorted.

accessorizequeen Fri 30-Sep-11 20:03:26

Thought you wanted warm l/s tops Millie! smile
I think the raspberry Wrap colour would be lovely with grey cardigan. Is that Mulberry? Although I wouldn't rely on them either, I have had an item delayed for about 6 weeks now, have decided to cancel it! They're clearly as bad as boden for stock.
Saw a few nice tops in the saltwater catalogue which popped through my letterbox today.

Millie1 Fri 30-Sep-11 23:12:37

Oh blast, I'd just typed a post with links to tops at J Lewis who have a 20% price match today and I've lost the bloody thing. angry

AQ ... Hmmm, yes! Still am, have picked out 3/4 tops to order and try, now need to go back and find them,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now