Talk

Advanced search

Could I have your opinion on this coat please?

(22 Posts)
yok2t Tue 27-Sep-11 16:56:14

Monsoon Coat

I just bought this today. The thing is I'm a size 18 and never know if I look ok in something and especially hate shopping for coats. Last year, after DD was born, I bought a red duffle coat. Needless to say it makes me look like a fat version of the dwarf in 'Don't look now'. I blame that purchase on hormones clouding my judgement!
Now to this years choice:
I think this coat is quite nice as it goes in a bit at the waist and it is very cozy. Love the hood too.I'm not exactly stylish, I live in jeans and t shirts and cardigans so I don't need a smart coat.I bought it in L so its snug, as opposed to XL which made me look like I'm wearing a padded tent.
I guess I'm just after some reassurance that it is not as disastrous a choice as the red duffle coat. blush
Or, if you think this would look awful on a size 18, what do you think would look better?

ShowOfHands Tue 27-Sep-11 16:58:18

That's a truly gopping coat whether you're an 8 or an 18. It says 'I've given up on life'.

HTH.

SummerRain Tue 27-Sep-11 16:58:48

I think it'll look just fine, I do however think you could have gotten something pretty much identical for a hell of a lot less money!

ShowOfHands Tue 27-Sep-11 16:58:49

I like the sound of a red duffle though.

yok2t Tue 27-Sep-11 17:00:27

Ah, I don't think I have given up on life completely yet. Any better ideas to keep warm this winter? Perhaps I should have a look at some ponchos... grin

ShowOfHands Tue 27-Sep-11 17:02:33

Monsoon's offerings are all a bit bleurgh. The duffle coat on there's nice. And a couple of longer more tailored coats.

I like coats that nobody else does so don't listen to me. Coats that say, I've not been to Nepal but this is how I'd dress if I did, now where did I put my knitted muesli.

cyb Tue 27-Sep-11 17:07:09

Dont listen to Show of Hands

ts okay, as coats go, pretty nondescript which is good I suppose if you dont want to stick out like a sore thumb

The other type of coat I love which is always slimming is a wool crombie type coat, very straight with buttons up front and revere collar

but its got to fit across your shoulders and skim you everywhere else. TK MAxx always have loads, I bought a cashmere blend one last yr in black and live in it

Catsmamma Tue 27-Sep-11 17:08:56

hmmmm..it looks warm

<mother told me if i couldn't say something nice to say nothing at all>

madammecholet Tue 27-Sep-11 17:11:23

I like it.

I'm into fur, have just bought myself a tweed jacket with a fur collar.

It will be slimming as its elongated and tucked in at waist, and I personally think its good value for £125.

lynniep Tue 27-Sep-11 17:14:29

Its nice enough, but I can't understand the price tag. I've seen many parkas like this for half the price.

yok2t Tue 27-Sep-11 17:16:01

Catsmamma It is very warm. Considering I will have to actually leave the house even if hell freezes over this winter( to keep DD entertained) I thought that was important.
And I will add your mothers sage advice to my list of things to teach DD!

yok2t Tue 27-Sep-11 17:18:08

It is a bit steep I suppose. Could anyone point me in the direction of a cheaper one?I have had a look around online but don't remember seeing much similar.

ShowOfHands Tue 27-Sep-11 17:20:26

Do listen to me.

You'll look flammable. And not in a good way. I agree with cyb about crombies. Warm and flattering.

MrsVoltar Tue 27-Sep-11 17:21:23

Think it would probably add pounds, that would be my worry & I'm 14/16, sorry.

NurseFleischerBaum Tue 27-Sep-11 17:21:27

Fur hood is good but the rest of it's a bit bleurgh and cheap-looking for the price. Something similar in wool or tweed might look nicer and stay looking nice for longer?

Red duffle sounds cute!

pocketfullofposies Tue 27-Sep-11 17:22:49

I had one like that about ten years ago. They were very popular then. I have no idea if that's the case now.

I like the shape of that one but it's too padded and too long for me personally.

NurseFleischerBaum Tue 27-Sep-11 17:23:02

Personally I'm a huge fan of any kind of pea coat, grey or navy, on men and women.

yok2t Tue 27-Sep-11 17:28:59

I have actually been looking for a nice pea coat. I liked this one:
John Lewis but its not very warm and a bit too small. Maybe a crash diet...hmm.

MrsVoltar Tue 27-Sep-11 17:42:27

I have a ski style black jacket like this for seriously bad weather (didn't cost that price though) and have always been warm & dry.

Also recently got a black wax 'barbour' style for less serious weather.

Realise you are perhaps looking for fashion type coat rather than weatherproof/superwarm though.

Sorry not very helpful.

cyb Tue 27-Sep-11 17:55:03

pea coats are universally UNFLATTERING unless you are very petite IMO

A longer, simpler coat much more classic and flattering

yok2t Tue 27-Sep-11 18:13:05

Oh dear, now I'm really confused. I think I'll just move somewhere warm instead of getting a coat.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 27-Sep-11 18:16:18

i think it is fine for school run, out and about with children, casual wear. I do think it is a bit over priced. Marks and Spencers have lots of similar coats for about £75. I also got something similar in Gap last year for £50 in their outlet store.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now