Talk

Advanced search

Who here has been to a Boden townhall clearance sale?

(14 Posts)

If so, please would you give me some tips? How early should I arrive? What should I target?

TIA

caughtinanet Tue 27-Sep-11 14:35:41

I went to one about 10 years ago and have never been back grin

They are not for the faint hearted, you will need to sharpen your elbows, pick up anything and everything you think might be right and hang onto a huge pile of stuff until you're sure what you want.

I think there is probably a long queue at whatever time you get there.

Good luck.

MinnieBar Tue 27-Sep-11 14:38:57

They are absolute bunfights.

- Get there an hour before opening (take a thermos, and/or a friend).

- Make a mental note of what area you most want (shoes, handbags, girls clothes 4-5 etc. etc.) and go STRAIGHT THERE.

- Grab loads even if you're not sure, then go sit in a corner and look through at your leisure. Put back what you don't want.

Having said that, I've always turned up after opening and still managed to find stuff - although the red suede boots for DD1 that she won't fit into for at least three years were, in hindsight, perhaps a little bit of an impulse purchase...

MinnieBar Tue 27-Sep-11 14:39:59

Oh and whatever time you get there, there will be two or three women already at the front of the queue with those big Ikea bags ready to eBay rumble.

Slightly better than an NCT sale I'd say, but not much...!

lucysmum Tue 27-Sep-11 14:40:42

chaos ! clogs up traffic in whole town. Not worth it IMO

MMQC Tue 27-Sep-11 14:41:31

A couple of friends went to one last year and said it was rubbish. Everything was packed up so difficult to browse, and there wasn't really much there at all.

Hassled Tue 27-Sep-11 14:43:29

I went to one a few years ago and it was MENTAL. You need a steely determination and no personal space issues if you're going to cope with it.

My boot went missing. I took the boots off to try on some trousers (makeshift changing room), and one just vanished. I was beside myself. Went I got to the almost in tears stage, I spotted it, yards and yards away from me, under a pile of clothes - all I can come up with is that someone grabbed it and tried it on. That's what you're up against.

Nippysnippy Tue 27-Sep-11 14:52:18

Too much effort for boden. Just do clearance online.

OtterBjitch Tue 27-Sep-11 15:04:03

I planned to go to one a couple of years ago. Got there about 15 minutes before it opened and the queue was right round the building. Never seen such expressions of steely determination. Scary stuff.

Gillybobs Tue 27-Sep-11 15:51:24

I'm still recovering from the one in Edinburgh 2 years ago. Women with babies strapped to their front AND back, ignoring their screams for 2 hours as they shove each other aside in search of a "fun" sweater : /

That aside, I did get plenty of stuff, all trousers were £10 which was fab, also got bargainous shoes and tops. Knitwear was all £30 which I didnt think was a great reduction.

It was one of the most bizarre mornings ever

talkingnonsense Tue 27-Sep-11 16:02:13

If you want a bargain on knitwear you have to grab the cashmere, that's good for £30. I got last years parka for £40, that was my best bargain. A lot is similiar to online prices- esp chdns t shirts which tend to be £10 at a clearance but are sometimes less in the online sale! The pricing is to make everything easy. Second the recommendation to grab loads and then sort it in a corner. I think it's a fun trip with a friend- but would be hell on earth with a baby or toddler!

Rassy Tue 27-Sep-11 20:13:10

Gillybobs I was at that sale in Edinburgh a couple of years ago! I was also there this May and what a complete contrast - no queue (we turned up 10 minutes late) and a lot less people there. Still got a couple of great bargains!

wompoopigeon Tue 27-Sep-11 20:18:51

Hassled has used the word I wanted to use. MENTAL. FGS leave children at home and sharpen your elbows and teeth.I

LillianGish Tue 27-Sep-11 20:29:49

Absolute nightmare. The policy, adopted by many, of "grabbing a bundle and sorting it in a corner" means it is impossible to find anything. It's like an expensive jumble sale. If you are not careful you end up buying any old thing just because it is substantially reduced. However much of a bargain it is, it is only a bargain if you really want it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now