Talk

Advanced search

Curly hair - please recommend product for 11 yo dd

(11 Posts)
friendly Tue 27-Sep-11 11:07:15

My dd is 11 and has just started secondary school. She has very curly red hair and is very positive about it atm. She always used to wear her hair up at primary but is now very keen to wear it down. By the end of the day it looks pretty crazy and she has started to want me to straighten it. She looks lovely I think but I am worried she is going to be teased for looking different. Can anyone with curly hair recommend a product to tame curls and frizz, please? I would be very grateful. Thank you.

friendly Tue 27-Sep-11 11:08:16

Meant to add that we normally use Palmers Cocoa butter and the John Frieda range but I think we need something a bit more heavy duty. Thanks

littlepinkfizz Tue 27-Sep-11 11:10:00

try British curlies online.Not sure if it is .co.uk or .com .Pretty expensive though

fergoose Tue 27-Sep-11 11:13:55

My daughter has exactly the same hair - we scrunch it a bit with Boots curl creme when it is wet - which is cheap as. I find the serums are pretty rubbish, just give a greasy coating and don't set the hair. A curl cream will set and hold the curl more, if that makes sense! Just don't use too much as it will go crispy.

Also sometimes spray down in the morning with water bottle with about 10% conditioner in it.

Here is the Boots creme stuff

www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essentials-Curl-Creme-250ml_927582/

minxofmancunia Tue 27-Sep-11 11:14:11

frederic fekkai curl range is good but £££

trevor sorbie original curl cream is great for a cheaper version but you have to put it on when hair is soaking wet DON'T towel dry and try to air dry outside, nice shiny curls.

Also don't wash hair every day, makes it v dry and frizzy.

fergoose Tue 27-Sep-11 11:15:07

Also I would advise keeping hair as long as possible, with only long layers if any and no fringe. My DD's hair is at its best at nearly waist length, mid back length it just springs up and sticks out.

minxofmancunia Tue 27-Sep-11 11:15:16

for v defined curls use curl creme on v wet hair then gel, but only gel on mid lengths to ends otherwise it will go crispy.

friendly Tue 27-Sep-11 21:40:38

Thanks everyone. Seems curl cream is the way forward. She is desperate to have long hair but curly hair seems to take ages to grow! Great hairdresser cutting at home tomorrow. Definitely no fringe tho that's all the rage at her school! Her hair is just below her shoulders when curly. Much longer when pulled straight. Long layers is what the hairdresser advised. We'll see how we go. Thanks again

fergoose Tue 27-Sep-11 21:43:57

Oh I forgot, never brush and use very wide tooth comb when wet to spread through product and never comb when dry too.

SurprisEs Tue 27-Sep-11 22:04:49

Research the Curly Girl Method on google. A bit too much to take in at first but my daughters hair has never been so healthy.
Some products may make the curls look amazing but damage the hair long term.

PeppermintJo Wed 28-Sep-11 13:15:26

Hi, the best site i have come across for curly hair is eclecichair.co.uk. Has a vast range of products for curly hair. I buy from them all the times as i have 3 girls ranging from 11 to 2. its cheaper than british curlies to.

Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now