Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing hair from red back to blonde

(10 Posts)
BeauticianNotMagician Mon 26-Sep-11 16:25:49

Hi all just after some advice.

I dyed my blonde head of highlights of 10 years to red.I love tthe red but its very drying and when I look at pictures of me red it just doesn't suit me as well as blonde did.In fact I don't like a single picture of me taken since I went red.

What's the best way to go back to blonde.Should I start the process at home.I was thinking colour b4 or should I just go to the salon?

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 26-Sep-11 17:04:17

Bump smile

youngblowfish Mon 26-Sep-11 17:49:46

Please go to a professional as it is very difficult to dye red hair even for those who are trained to do it. Box dyes are usually designed for covering treys, meaning that they will give very unpredicable results on hair that already has a pigment in it. How do I know that? Only a month ago my hd was fixing my DIY ash blonde which turned bright ginger at the roots and green at the ends. Luckily, she managed to make me look human again but I would have saved myself a lot of hassle and money had I gone to her in the first place! HTH

ChablisLover Mon 26-Sep-11 20:08:07

I did this too!

Went back to blonde about 4 months ago. Has taken time and. Hopefully this next lot of highlights gets me back to my natural colourwink

I only ever had. Highlights but had built up to a lovely blonde then took head staggers and went red. Looking bak it was horrible and far too dark for my colouring. Am staying blonde. Much better for me.

ChablisLover Mon 26-Sep-11 20:09:34

Oopps forgot to say it has been two sets of highlights done by professional to get it back

Would go to hair dresser rather than attempting it yourself

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 26-Sep-11 20:11:47

Yes too dark for me too I think.I've had to wear fake tan or bronzer at least on my face since I had it done.I have a wedding to go to at the weekend.If its going to be a long process I guess I better book a salon appointment for next week.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 26-Sep-11 20:18:29

Thanks for the advice ladies.

ChablisLover What did the stylist do to your hair before highlighting or did they just put highlights straight over the red.

ChablisLover Mon 26-Sep-11 21:46:59

Straight highlights over the red. We did have discussion ( argument) as to whether to use bleach or not. I won and was v glad I did. Is ok though she has been doing my hair for 20 odd years since I was a teen and conceded I was right.

It did make it dry but have been using morroccan oil or Argan to smooth and soften it.

daenerysstormborn Tue 27-Sep-11 10:43:43

i've done this myself, a good few years ago, but was pretty skint at the time so had to do it at home rather than got to a hairdresser. if you can afford it, as others say, get a professional to do it, if not, i used 2 boxes of pre-lightener to strip out the red colour, then i left it a few days to give my hair a rest. hair looked awful, a very light strawberry blond at this stage. then i used an ash blonde colour. for a while there was still a redish tinge, but after a few months, and a couple more ash blonde colourings, it was back to normal.

like i said, this was a few years ago, before colour b4 was on the market, that would probably work better to strip out the red than using pre-lighteners.

BeauticianNotMagician Tue 27-Sep-11 11:37:17

I've called into my salon today.They took a strand of hair and are going to test it with bleach to see how it lifts.

If its awful I might go brunette for a while then go blonde again at a later date.The red has damaged my hair and I've already had to have it cut short.I made the mistake of using live colour at first.Now I'm using feria which gives a better colour and condition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now