Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how do you pencil in your eyebrows?

(25 Posts)
vanillagorilla Mon 26-Sep-11 09:38:20

without making them look slugs? Any recommendations for pencils etc? Have tried a few and always look daft sad

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Sep-11 09:39:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vanillagorilla Mon 26-Sep-11 09:52:26

They are dark already, I have dark brown hair, and get them threaded so they have a nice shape already, its the filling them in to get them that 'polished' look.

(Should really stop reading my sisters Look magazine....)

mumblechum1 Mon 26-Sep-11 09:54:46

With very very light strokes, think feather light, in an upward and outward motion, with a pencil as close as poss to the colour of the eyebrows. Far better to do 20 feather light strokes along the eyebrow than 3 or three harsh ones which will make you look like Dot Cotton.

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Sep-11 09:57:34

ArmageddonOuttahere Mon 26-Sep-11 09:57:43

I have dark-but-sparse brows and find pencils too harsh. I use the Shavata brow set

Pricey, but after a year I've only used half and that's from every day application.

I actually used a trimmed-down oil paint brush instead of the standard brushes that come with the set.

Also, use a shade lighter than you think you need. I mix the two lightest colours on the palette and have dark brown hair (I use the black on my eyes, works really nicely as a liner)

vanillagorilla Mon 26-Sep-11 10:29:04

Ah thanks. Yes I am guilty of colouring them in tbh. Will try feather strokes.

NotADudeExactly Mon 26-Sep-11 10:45:16

With a small angled brush, a tiny amount of wax (same stuff as my hair pomade; I'm not bothered enough to get a dedicated product) and an eye shadow that matches my hair.

FWIW my brows look natural and pretty well groomed. Better than those of quite a few self styled YouTube makeup goddesses.

BarbaraWoodlouse Mon 26-Sep-11 10:47:35

Benefit Brow zings is great IMO (sticks tongue out at ruby grin)

cardoon Mon 26-Sep-11 18:41:07

< Backs up Babs >
but I would also like a really good pencil for a less made-up look.......anyone?

vanillagorilla Mon 26-Sep-11 18:53:23

can you all post pictures of your eyebrows before and after please so we can judge, thanks. haha. no,seriously. only if you want to.

must stop drinking......

SuePurblybilt Mon 26-Sep-11 18:55:12

I use brown eyeliner, the kind that comes up like a twirly pencil, not the liquid kind. It's softer and blends. M&S do a good one.

whojimmyflip Mon 26-Sep-11 18:57:41

Gosh do one and Rimmel. The colour is an ashy light brown. Looks too light but isn't.

ujjayi Mon 26-Sep-11 18:58:41

Does the feathering effect still look natural-ish where you have no brow hair? I have hypothyroidism and sadly am slowly losing the outer third of my eyebrows (giving me something of an over-plucked look sad ). I would love to be able to complete the arch in as natural a look as possible.

GaramMasalaGirl Mon 26-Sep-11 19:22:59

HI OP have you tried www.eyebrowz.com ? They do eyebrow powder in lots of different shades and tons of eyebrow stencils to help shape them as well.

I have almost non existent eyebrows but am a hairy buzzstard everywhere else and use the stencils and powder every day.

pinkytheshrinky Mon 26-Sep-11 19:29:23

I have to say I love a bit of browzings - good value for money too

WholeLottaRosie Mon 26-Sep-11 19:52:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LaDolcheRyvita Tue 27-Sep-11 08:22:44

I use Superdrug GOSH brand eye brow felt tip pen in Wheat. They're £5.99. You can feather it on....and it lasts all day.

vanillagorilla Tue 27-Sep-11 08:38:41

Will try that GOSH one then, go a shade lighter you say?...

rubyrubyruby Tue 27-Sep-11 08:40:23

LaDolcheRyvita Tue 27-Sep-11 09:13:49

I would say, unless you're a true redhead/auburn, don't go for the Venetian Brown. The wheat is ok for me..... Dark blonde with (natural smile) highlights. But they do one called Mahogany....ok for brown hair I think.

lubeybooby Tue 27-Sep-11 09:16:34

I have really sparse eyebrows so I can never go without defining them. I like smashbox and rimmel ones, very sharp and with strokes as though you were drawing on short hairs rather than a heavy block line.

QuinnFabray Tue 27-Sep-11 09:24:54

I use a dark brown matt eyeshadow from MAC called concrete, and a flat angled brush. I use the same shadow and brush to line my lower lash line, just half way, from outer corner.

Agree, go a shade lighter, my eyebrows are virtually black, but black shadow is too harsh.

minipie Tue 27-Sep-11 11:29:37

Laura Mercier does some two-tone eyebrow powders which are good - use with a flat angled brush.

LaraMakeupArtist Tue 27-Sep-11 12:50:27

To re draw or fill in, extend, or add definition to your eyebrows, follow these simple steps:

- Before you start, take a good look at your brows. See which parts need to be filled in...do they need extending? Do you want to make them darker? Which eyebrow shape do you want to achieve?

With that in mind:

1. Choose an eyebrow pencil in a shade that matches your eyebrow hair. If you don't have eyebrow hair, choose either a Taupe colour which suits most people, or if you are very fair choose a Light Blonde, or if you are dark you can use black but you need to be very sparing with it.

2. Next, take the lid off the brow pencil and hold the length of the pencil vertically against one side of your nose, so the length of the pencil points upwards towards the the inner corner of your eye and up to the start of your brow bone.

3. Where the tip of the eyebrow pencil is now lying (at the start of your brow bone, where your eyebrows would naturally start to grow), draw a very faint dot.

4. Next, to find where the high point or arch of your eyebrow should be, keep holding the the eyebrow pencil up vertically against your nose, but this time move the tip outwards, along your brow bone, so that the upper part of the pencil is in line with your far outer edge of your pupil...then using the tip of the pencil, draw another faint dot on your brow bone. This will mark where the arch/high point of your eyebrow will be.

5. Then move the pencil tip along a touch more so the pencil runs up from your nostril and up vertically to meet the end of your brow bone. Draw a dot, and this final dot will mark where the end of your eyebrow should be.

6. So now you have three dots: One to mark the beginning of your brow, a second to mark the middle/high point of your brow and a third to mark the end of your brow.

Finally,
Take the eyebrow pencil and add some colour to the back of your hand. (Alternatively you can use a taupe, light blonde or black eyeshadow).
Take a small angled brush and transfer the eyebrow colour from the back of your hand onto the angled brush by rubbing the brush head into the colour.
Then with gentle feathery strokes, apply the colour from the brush to your brows, using the dots that you pencilled on earlier as your guide for where the brow should start and finish, to add definition, shape and length to your brows.

Fill in any gaps from over plucking.

You can extend the length of your brows by sweeping the colour out to meet the final dot that you drew on the outer edge of your brow bone.

You can also use the pencil, rather than a brush, but start very slowly and be careful not to add too much colour as your brows will become thick and heavy looking very quickly.

Perfect brows take practice and patience, so don't worry if you don't get the brows to match first time. It is only makeup and you can always take it off if you make a mistake!
www.laracrudgington.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now