Talk

Advanced search

If you have bought a really FLATTERING dress recently, please will you tell me about it?

(49 Posts)
MrsMilton Sun 25-Sep-11 21:12:13

I am a size 10/12, with a less than perfect post-baby tummy and 32F norks. I can't wear the lovely 60s inspired tunics and shifts that are EVERYWHERE atm as high necks do nothing for me. I like v necks and scoops. I want to keep my upper arms covered. I want to look sophisticated and if at all possible, a little bit cool. I think I have a pretty standard body and I can't be the only one who wants these things....

I am going to a hen do which will involve cocktails and dancing and.... people from the past!!

Can you help?

MrsMilton Sun 25-Sep-11 21:13:18

Separates would work too smile

thisisyesterday Sun 25-Sep-11 21:18:56

<waiting patiently>

tethersend Sun 25-Sep-11 21:20:02

What's your budget?

chocolateshoes Sun 25-Sep-11 21:20:55

sorry can't help - ready with pen & paper to take notes

SickOnMyShoulder Sun 25-Sep-11 21:25:03

wih nice black flares/ dark jeans

MrsMilton Sun 25-Sep-11 21:27:49

For the right thing, no budget. But ideally I'd have change from £150.

By the way, this is only the hen. I'll be looking again for the wedding!

Greenrabbit Sun 25-Sep-11 21:32:26

dress
I got this in black for a wedding. Covered my 38f norks and post baby belly really well and the sleeves hid my flabby arms. I got the black, but the red also looked gorgeous. (not brave enough to wear it though!) it looks much better in the flesh than on the website.
I also found that New Look have some nice dresses with room for boobs and with sleeves.
Good luck

tethersend Sun 25-Sep-11 21:32:41

LK Bennett

Phase eight

notsofastmrbond Sun 25-Sep-11 21:33:15

Probs a bit low budget for you but I recently bought neck&pageSize=20 this in black and navy and they are very flattering.

Cover the tops of the arms, are V neck, skim the tummy. V good quality for the price, far more so than I expected. Actually, I ordered them online expecting them to be no good but they are really very nice.

AuraofDora Sun 25-Sep-11 21:36:48

love the lk bennett one very nice

B;ow the budget depends on your colouring though.

www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/product/Liberty//Black-Loxo-Draped-Jersey-Dress-Anglomania-by-Vivienne-Westwood/66312 Good value and great neckline.

tethersend Sun 25-Sep-11 22:06:57

Was just about to link to that grey VWA, Remus grin

BTW, did you have a look at the leather jacket IRL? Was it bad?

I've been too poor to even dare look at it yet! Think I need new boots more than I need a leather jacket tbh. I'm still drooling over the WC dress too but just can't justify another grey or black dress, especially a 90 pounds one. sad

MrsMilton Sun 25-Sep-11 22:15:25

Love that Phase 8 Megan dress, tried it on last week and it is very flattering, although the wool fabric is a bit scratchy. Think the LK one might not be great on my bust. Really looking for a longer sleeve, never get on well with caps. The grey VWA is fab, tad pricey, as you say.

beanandspud Sun 25-Sep-11 22:31:18

I know you want sleeves but I have just bought this one. I have big boobs and a tummy and it's still very flattering.

likelucklove Mon 26-Sep-11 08:28:06

I am pregnant and have bought a lovely dress that influenced my non pregnant friend to go out and buy it! This comes in green, black, purple and red and is a steal. I just added a thin black belt with black courts and wore it to a couple of weddings this month. V v cheap and worth it so you can get some lovely shoes and bag!

likelucklove Mon 26-Sep-11 08:29:07

Also, the sleeves come down to the elbow and flares out at the hips, with the jersey staying in place around your addedums good!

TracyK Mon 26-Sep-11 08:42:46

I got this www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Day+Birger+Et+Mikkelsen+Day+dormant+dress/156499347,default,pd.html and it is very, very flattering on.
I am a 16 and I got the 12 - tis quite big made.

KristinaM Mon 26-Sep-11 08:49:15

tracey, that looks v stylish but does it coem in at the waist? i am teh same shape as teh Op and need soemthing that doesn't just fall straight down from the large norks

TheyCallMeStacey Mon 26-Sep-11 09:02:47

www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1017&productid=0211-5643-3183L00&productvarid=0211-5643-3183L00-BLACK%20MULTI-18&refpage=1481
This is lovely on, covers upper arms, silk, feels gorgeous on. Might be more wedding outfit than hen do but def sophisticated I think!

tethersend Mon 26-Sep-11 09:56:51

I like this, but it's £££

MrsVoltar Mon 26-Sep-11 10:11:45

I got a Great Plains dress in the summer & it was really flattering, drapey, hid 'mummy tummy' well.

Found this in quick search, think John Lewis stock Great Plains.

MrsVoltar Mon 26-Sep-11 11:15:09

Just re-read your posts maybe this would be better.

Mumleigh Mon 26-Sep-11 13:17:27

Pepperberry have just released a new 3/4 sleeve dress in black today - not sure if it fits the cool criteria but it looks ok. Sorry I've never bothered to learn how to do links.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now