Talk

Advanced search

Please help me decide what I should wear for a 1st date?

(9 Posts)
MissyMaker Sun 25-Sep-11 10:38:17

I will be going on my first date in ooh, about 18 years next weekend and am struggling to think what the heck I should wear. I am fatter (14/16), older (43) and much wiser grin than I was all those years ago. But not so wise that I can seem to get any inspiration as to what to wear.

I am 5'11 with good boobs, arms and legs (and posture), but my tummy lets me down big time. I have this dress but I worry it might be a bit overkill and also I am not convinced about the neckline - it looks like it should show off my boobs to good advantage, but it's all a bit meh on me (trying too hard to hide my rubbish tummy). Or do I wear a nice top (have this top which I love). But then if I do, what about trousers? Skinny jeans & (small!) heels? Skinny jeans & boots? Some other kind of trousers? Any other dress suggestions?

We are going to a nice (think upmarket chain) restaurant for dinner. He seems very nice, professional, very sporty.

Very happy to buy some new things and budget is probably a couple of hundred quid or less.

I am quite excited grin But also a little bit worried I will ended up looking like mutton or too casual...

lubeybooby Sun 25-Sep-11 10:43:03

I love that dress, and think it would be great with the height and size you describe. I'm only 5ft 5 and a 16/18 so I couldn't get away with that one, but I'm pretty sure you can.

MissyMaker Sun 25-Sep-11 10:57:57

Thank you! I do like the dress, it's probably more how I feel about myself at the moment. Admittedly, I have only tried it on when I probably wasn't feeling/looking my best so perhaps I should try it again today.

I know what's going to happen on Friday night - I am going to be going through 20 different outfits and end up at that dress. Or that top. I do love that top, but I guess because I wear it in the day time too I think it might not be hot enough to wear....I guess the thing with the first date is that you want him to want to imagine you out of the clothes...

lubeybooby Sun 25-Sep-11 11:15:16

Just looked at the top and while it's nice I don't think it's a date top for the type of date you're having. I'd definitely go for the dress. I find trying things on with hair and make up done helps a bit, everything looks rubbish if you feel a bit down about the rest of you. Oh and Good luck grin

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Sun 25-Sep-11 12:46:57

I think the dress looks nice. With the right shoes and accessories I think you'll look great. I'm a newbie at all that stuff though, so I'll wait with interest for the experts to come and advise you!

MissyMaker Sun 25-Sep-11 13:02:12

Thanks smile

I have just ordered a new bra - hopefully it will make the dress feel a little sexier and my bust a little err, bustier grin

I would welcome any other suggestions though...feel like spending some money!

mirpuppet Sun 25-Sep-11 21:27:31

I like both the dress and the top and think both could work for a date.

Have fun.

MissyMaker Sat 01-Oct-11 16:48:57

I thought I would report back. The dress looked fab - I wore it with a pair of LK Bennett brown shoes & some beige (tan, what??) fishnet stockings. I toned it all down with a denim jacket - it seemed to work well.

So, my outfit was a hit. My first date in some 18 years was markedly less so. How can someone be so different in the flesh??! shock

<muses and heads off to relationships>

lubeybooby Sat 01-Oct-11 16:53:41

Join us on the dating thread Missy and tell us all about it shock what happened?

I KNEW that dress would be amazing grin great choice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now