Talk

Advanced search

Warm down-filled coat - will I look massive??

(24 Posts)
emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 10:37:02

We live right next to the sea and it is flecking freezing here in winter thanks to the wind. Our street is at right angles to the promenade and it is seriously like a wind tunnel from October to March.

So... I want to buy a really warm coat. I don't care if it's ugly (well, I do a bit, but give it a few more weeks for the wind to get up and I won't any more) so I was thinking of a down-filled 'puffa' style, but am a bit concerned that I will look like the Michelin man. I'm not huge, but not slim either (5'7" and size 14) so will I look mahoossive in a puffa coat???

Pinkflipflop Sun 25-Sep-11 10:41:30

No - you will look sensible! Also you will look stylish and feel warm.

this is the one I got this year and I love it

emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 10:44:49

So you don't think they're massively unflattering??? HAven't even dared try one on... Would ideally like a cream colour but like that style you posted with the shawl collar.

Pinkflipflop Sun 25-Sep-11 10:48:22

No! I love mine. I have worn it loads even though it's a little wam yet. I think Monsoon have a cream coloured version of that one.

Moanna Sun 25-Sep-11 13:14:53

I'm the same size/height as Pinkflipflop and live in Ireland (read ruddy freezing). I have the landsend London down coat.

I wouldn't say it's hugely flattering, but to be honest last year when I was doing the school run I didn't care as I was so warm.

The Monsoon one definitely has more shape to it.

emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 13:21:02

Do I need a 'label' one or would a cheap-ass Primark one do? I wonder if the Primark one won't be very warm as likely to be stuffed with polyester wadding rather than down...

SueNarmy Sun 25-Sep-11 13:21:30

mate got a great fenn wright manson in tk maxx

i went for lands end
did a thread on it

emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 13:23:14

Must go to TK Maxx but does require a special trip as the town I work in doesn't have one - have seen a couple on Lands End that look okay but not sure about ordering something online - would like to try and see if I do look huge.

SueNarmy Sun 25-Sep-11 13:26:53

well that how it works. you order you try you return

moragbellingham Sun 25-Sep-11 13:30:14

Zara
Uniqlo - I tested this in the snow in the back garden and it's warm.
I would get a down one it'll definitely be warmer. Codes for 30% off Land's End 30FF ends tonight (I got a LE one) or GAP 30% off ends 28th.
Online TK Maxx ones look good too.

SueNarmy Sun 25-Sep-11 13:31:40

the zara ones i didnt like as they have flaredy skirt and didnt liek the belt.

uniqlo design ones were FREAKY

SueNarmy Sun 25-Sep-11 13:32:09

also zara one is not down, is poly

fluffles Sun 25-Sep-11 13:44:26

you need to find one that's a fitted shape - the square ones look awful but the ones cut to a lady shape are ok.

mine's berghaus but you can get good fitted northface ones too.

carabos Sun 25-Sep-11 16:45:06

Got an Aigle one at Xmas as I had to go to Scandinavia for a week. Fab coats, warm and windproof and absolutely everyone was wearing them in some style or another. You will look like yourself in a padded coat iyswim.

emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 16:45:37

Oooh I like both of those morag... Especially the dark brown colour in the Uniqlo and the cream in the Zara one.

Moanna Sun 25-Sep-11 17:06:35

I think as long as it's a high count down it won't matter...

It's was so bloody cold here that I wanted to be able to fit as many layers as possible underneath and blow the consequences.

Su's coats is fitted, down and nice = bonus

NeatFreak Sun 25-Sep-11 17:09:00

this one won't win any prizes for style but is amazingly warm, waterproof and better in the flesh than online I bought it last week and love it- it is slightly fitted and goes to mid thigh. it really doesn't look as cheap as it is...

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Sun 25-Sep-11 18:31:05

Gap,got mine last year,down filled yet not huge & poofy,kept me super warm in the sticks last year in -16 temps & when walking pooch round fields (windy city) I never felt cold,only about 60/70 quid.will be being worn very soon grin

Beamur Sun 25-Sep-11 18:33:56

Mine is so toasty I don't care if I look fat. From Rab a couple of years ago - DP got a new one last year but went for some fancy fibre one that you can get wet. Proper down jackets (in the main) shouldn't get wet.

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 26-Sep-11 13:50:11

TK Maxx have a great selection (greys, browns and blacks) with different styles and lengths, bought a lovely long one for £60 and its filled with real down/feather. I have a feeling these will go quickly though.

I don't really care about looking huge as being warm and cosy is important esp since I spend winter evenings/weekends on the rugby pitch watching my DC play.

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 26-Sep-11 13:56:20

Try this link

www.tkmaxx.com/browse/3511?ex=co_wizr-locayta&collate=atrxsize&collate=pdxtstyle&collate=pdxtmaterial&collate=brand&collate=price&collate=pdxtcolour&refine_sort_alph=pdxtcolour&fieldrtype=type&termtextrtype=invt&typertype=exact&fieldpcatid=pcatid&typepcatid=exact&termorder=rtype%3Apcatid&template=wz_locayta&pagenum=1&perpage=50&threshold=0&spellcorrect=1&datasource=tkmaxxen&setpagenum=1&termtextpdxtstyle=QUILTED%20JACKETS&typepdxtstyle=exact&fieldpdxtstyle=pdxtstyle&refine_sort_alph=atrxsize

emsyj Mon 26-Sep-11 20:18:28

Oooh there are tons I like on there MadAboutHotChoc - might just bite the bullet and order online as I really can't be arsed trailing all the way to TK Maxx.

emsyj Mon 26-Sep-11 20:43:38

OK there are none of the Michael Kors one that I want left online in my size angry !!!

But I like this one: shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/069159#colorSelect

Yes they make you look massive up top but the benefit being they make your legs look slimmer by comparison. And they keep you VERY warm. Toasty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now