Talk

Advanced search

Another fragrance thread

(21 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Sat 24-Sep-11 18:36:29

As the winter months are drawing in, I'm looking for a new fragrance. Typicvally, I go for oriental floral fragrances, such as YSL Elle, Belle D'opium, or for quite distinctive smells such as Coco Mademoiselle, Armani Mania and Euphoria. I'm after something long lasting, quite sophisticated but also very sexy. What do you recommend?

Dolallytats Sat 24-Sep-11 18:41:53

Hi
I love Jo Malone 'pomegranate noir' and 'basil, lime & manderine'. They are lovely and very distinctive without being overpowering. I've also heard very good things about Viktor & Rolf's Flowebomb fragrance, although it's a bit pricey so I haven't managed to get any yet!! Hope that helps!!

shoeprincess2 Sat 24-Sep-11 18:44:14

I'd heard about pomegranate noir, but i was under the impression that Jo Malone's fragrances don't last particularly long... Flowerbomb gives me a headache (or stinkbomb, as my friend's husband calls it!)

Dolallytats Sat 24-Sep-11 18:51:57

They seem to last a long while on me. I think you can buy samples on ebay if you wanted to give them a try first.
I don't know where you are, but there is a Jo Malone shop in the new Westfields. If you're close you could pop in & ask for a sample.
That's a shame about the Flowerbomb....did it smell nice before the headache kicked in?!?

shoeprincess2 Sat 24-Sep-11 19:04:47

Yes, it was quite nice, but I could 't stand to have it on me for long. Bit like Angel- nice smell but too heavy. I like the thought of having a Serge Lutens or Robert Piguet fragrance, but i suspect they might have the same effect on me.

MooMinCow Sat 24-Sep-11 19:10:48

I love the original Coco and Prada (the one in pink box). lovely warm, sexy musky fragrances IMO

tothemoonandback Sat 24-Sep-11 19:11:33

CINEMA - YSL, lovely autumnal fragrance, nice deep rich woody smell.

mummy2munchkin Sat 24-Sep-11 19:29:12

Jo Malone lasts ages with me! got the little testers on a plane which was a great deal!

Have you tried hypnotic poison? really distinctive and lovely!

shoeprincess2 Sat 24-Sep-11 19:31:07

Oooh, I like Dior things. Quite liked Addict when it came out all those years ago. Might have to go for a tester.

YouDoTheMath Sat 24-Sep-11 19:35:57

Dior J'adore or Bulgari (the original one).

mummy2munchkin Sat 24-Sep-11 19:45:35

Do, it is beautiful! I like all of the perfumes you mentioned so it's possible we might have vaguely the same tastes! Let me know what you think.

40notTrendy Sat 24-Sep-11 20:01:46

Angel is lovely. Jo Malone Blue agava and cacao is very unusual. Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac is my all time favourite, but hard to find.

borntoberiled Sun 25-Sep-11 10:14:24

I love Paloma Picasso, Chanel no19 and Mademoiselle, j'adore, all of which might fit the bill. Also love clinique aromatics. Hope that its of use.

shoeprincess2 Sun 25-Sep-11 10:18:36

Ok ladies, I shall stalk the nearest Dior counter. At least I know that their perfumes will last. Will report back soon...

emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 10:28:40

I see you think Angel is too heavy, but maybe you're using too much? One spritz is enough - it is very strong. I can still smell it on my clothes after they have been through the washing machine, but I like that - great to cheer me up when ironing!

Also try Vivienne Westwood 'Boudoir' (always get compliments from men when I wear that) and Chanel 'Allure Sensuelle'. I think I have similar perfume taste to you and I love both of those.

Also distinctive, sexy and not 'heavy' is Lolita Lempicka - the original one in the purple apple-shaped bottle in a lime green box. I have never smelled anything quite like it.

ENormaSnob Sun 25-Sep-11 11:58:18

I like alien but only a tiny bit is needed as it's so strong.

theroseofwait Sun 25-Sep-11 12:10:29

Over the past seven years I have progressed fom Angel (wore it for my wedding, that's how I know it was seven years ago!) through Pomegranate Noir and I'm now onto Lily and Spice from Penhaligon's. I think it's quite distinctive and musky.

emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 12:14:42

I love the men's stuff in Penhaligon's but never found a women's fragrance I like in there - will have to check out the Lily and Spice one.

I loathe Jo Malone - everything about it. Don't know why. It's an irrational hatred. But everything about the shop and the products makes my teeth itch. I just don't get the Jo Malone fragrances either - but I think I am the only one as only ever seen rave reviews of them!!!

MissyMaker Sun 25-Sep-11 12:36:16

Another vote here for Dior J'Adore...I always get lots of comments when I wear it. I also like most (but not all) Jo Malone perfumes - one or two of them also give me a headache (can't remember which ones though). I also love Issey Miyake. My all time favourite perfume, and lasts for ages.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Sun 25-Sep-11 12:42:25

I'm in love with Thierry Mughler's WOMANITY at the moment. MMmmm.

Moanna Sun 25-Sep-11 14:21:45

I love and have worn Van cleef for years and years. I always go back to it, it's my happy perfume if that makes sense?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now